Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st time trying batter fried, squirrel

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

1st time trying batter fried, squirrel

I got a couple of John Wayne cast iron pots and pans for Christmas and figured I’d give the little Beanpot a try today. I went through and used some mayonnaise and an egg for a coating. I mixed it up and then rolled it in cornstarch. I repeated,dipped it, and rolled it twice. I watched a couple videos on the Internet of people making it so I figured I’d give it a try. I thought squirrel drummies sounded pretty good. I normally just make my squirrels in the crockpot every time until they’re tender and the meat falls apart. I fried it up on both sides till it browned and then turn my gas down to two and put the lid on. It’s currently on the stove as we speak I’m going to open it and flip it every 15 minutes for an hour and then try it and see if it’s tender. I’m wondering if I should a crockpot it at first like I always do till the meet was tender and then fried it?

Here’s my progress as we speak...

The other pan I got was a steak pan with a bunch of lines in the bottom so when I fry it it gives it that old streak grill look. I’ll have to watch some videos to learn how to cook on that one too.

Good thing I checked it I’m about 15 minutes in and I had a couple little black spots where it was sitting on the bottom of the cast-iron so I turned it down from 2 to low and flipped them.

I think the easy way next time is I will crockpot them for about 4 1/2 hours or so and then batter fry them. That way they’re already tender and I just need to put a coating on them.

That is unless I get all feeling on the temperature and feel comfortable with leaving them on the stove for an hour at Low.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Interesting. Let us know if it is tender!
    I always do my squirrels like my Mom made them (Same for rabbit)
    Pieces cut up and seasoned then browned off in a bit of bacon fat then braised with a brown gravy sauce for a few hours on low heat.
    I think those look very tasty!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Lol... No it wasn’t tender. My fault completely I cooked it too long. I think my plan is is if I ever do it again I’ll make it in the crockpot for a good 4 1/2 hours or so till it’s tender and stays on the bone yet and then pan fry it for a few minutes. That way it’s moist and tender and has a crispy coating on it....kinda cheating. I did eat all it all so you know it wasn’t that bad. It wasn’t tender and it wasn’t chewy. It just was way over cooked and most the meat was dry and crunchy.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-11-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Master

GREAT report
    Good luck on your second try
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

If you have a pressure cooker, it'll tenderize them in 20-30 min. Just got to be careful not to over do it or else you'll have the making for squirrel dumplings! I give them 20 min or so and then pop the top off to finish. The young ones come out well before the old ones!

Boolit Master
    Tripple;
    Next time cut it up season it and brown it off about 2 min per side in a very hot cast pan ( olive oil or what ever)! Then put the pieces in your Slow Cooker. What ever you have in the cast pan left (oil & chitlins) Chop up some onions a a bit of Garlic! Saute in that pan until transparent ! If you are feeling excited deglaze that pan with 1/2 cup of red wine Add to pieces in slow cooker & Add cup of chicken or beef stock next on top of that ...then a dash of gravy master liquid! and lid on and 4.5 hr on low
    You will be in heaven!!
    You can make Bisquick dumplin's if you like in the last 30 minutes!

A meal for a proper subject or king!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Tripple,
    When ever you need a good game recipe let me know!
    I can even give you a "ground hog" ( grundsow in my parts) recipe that would rival the fine NY chefs meals!
    One thing I learned in my life is how to cook good fresh killed game! (Rather eat that then store bought!)
    Jim

Boolit Master
    I have a lot of old PA German / Amish new world recipes for game! I also have a lot of PA Polish recipes for game! What I grew up on and collected over 60 or so years

Banned

you can get away with frying rabbit but squirrel about needs a slow cooker.

Round two this morning and all seemed to go well. I cooked my squirrel pieces for 4 1/2 hours yesterday in the crockpot to the point where the meat was tender but it wasn’t falling off the bone. I put it in a Tupperware container overnight in the fridge and continued my project this morning. I basically fried it on both sides for about four minutes like I did the first batch. I then flipped the pieces for maybe a half a minute on each side because they had some white coming out of the batter. I’m guessing that was kosher salt I added in my batter and coating. You can see a couple little spots got dark but it’s not burnt. I’ll have to turn the heat down next round. I tried one piece so far and it’s as tender as chicken... If not more tender. I grabbed one of the small legs and pulled it apart and it came apart really easy. It was nice and moist as well. So anybody wants to give it a try I’d suggest to cook squirrel in the crockpot for 4 1/2 hours first. It’s very tender this way.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Lol...that’s awesome

Banned
    In my opinion, squirrel is about the best meat you can taste......However......we always stewed it a long time because it is TOUGH like , well, like a squirrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Next time do your fry in the cast iron and then drop the pan and all into your oven at about 275 degrees and let it set for your four hours - you will have tender meat in the fry pan.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Next time do your fry in the cast iron and then drop the pan and all into your oven at about 275 degrees and let it set for your four hours - you will have tender meat in the fry pan.
    Sounds like round three

Boolit Buddy
    We always boiled ours for a little while,and then floured and pan fried it.You can get it as tender as you like.I like mine tender,but not to tender to pick up to eat.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    In my opinion, squirrel is about the best meat you can taste......However......we always stewed it a long time because it is TOUGH like , well, like a squirrel.
    And you got to make a good gravy to let the squirrel stew in because the gravy is just so darn good on the biscuits . Split two big biscuits on your plate then ladle the squirrel meat and gravy over them...I didn't know there was any other way to do squirrels !
    If I'm lying I'm dying !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Critters that work hard to survive are very tasty but not tender! Now days with a slow cooker you can make the toughest game into a delicacy! Just don't rush it and only cook on low!

I have found that you can have an incredible tender meat cooked on slow in a crock pot for 7 hours then the next day put it into a "Micro Wave" to heat up and It is tough and ruined! If you what crock pot left overs... just rewarm in the crock pot not in a Microwave!

I normally just throw my squirrel in the crockpot for seven or eight hours on low and then eat it all as soon as it’s done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast