Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Turret Press Question

Boolit Mold

Lee Turret Press Question

I am looking for input on the Lee Classic Turret Press, and am considering the purchase of one. Is there sufficient space on the turret-heads for other makers' dies?...The Lee lock-rings are relatively small, compared to the round, knurled lock-rings on RCBS dies, for instance...Is there sufficient space between die stations for these larger lock-rings? How do you like your Lee Turret Press. Which do you have...The "Classic," or the "Value" series?....It seems like the "Value" series is better suited for handgun, which would be my primary use.....'At any rate, I'm just looking for your advice, and experience, and appreciate your time, and response.

Thanks in advance

Boolit Master

Love my classic cast with reverse rotation and case eject by hardline (vendor at the top of the page). Use mostly lee dies but have used borrowed rcbs dies and didnt have any problems. I guess if brand x lockrings dont fit, you could always use lee rings on brand x dies. Also, with the auto eject, the rcbs bullet feeder really speeds bulk handgun ammo.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Go with the Classic Turret Press. The primer disposal built into the press is easier, and it's generally sturdier. This video does a pretty good rundown of the differences, which are mostly cost savings related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKNDpzzoE0s

As for lock rings, I know for certain that Lee and Dillon rings will work. Not sure about the RCBS. I know for certain that Hornady's *don't* work. They're too fat in diameter.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the classic cast ,
    They are a tight fit on the lock rings , I also use Dillon in addition to Lee rings I have such an assortment of rings I don't remember if the RCBS fit , I need to order some of the new style Lee lock rings and see how they work.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Love my classic cast with reverse rotation and case eject by hardline (vendor at the top of the page). Use mostly lee dies but have used borrowed rcbs dies and didnt have any problems. I guess if brand x lockrings dont fit, you could always use lee rings on brand x dies. Also, with the auto eject, the rcbs bullet feeder really speeds bulk handgun ammo.
    Any chance you have a video of your press in action?

Boolit Master
    Definitely go for the Classic cast, it's a great press for the money.

ukrifleman.

I have the Lee Classic Cast turret press and love it. I load everything on it from9mm to 30-06. My rifle calibers are done with the index rod removed.
    Some other companies lock rings work and some do not.
    The RCBS rings had to be replaced with Lee lock rings. The dies work fine.
    I use a set of Hornady dies for my 308 and did not need to change the rings on those.
    All the rest of my die sets are Lee.

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.
    I like the LEE Classic Turret so well I have 3 of them. I use the Lee rings with the o-ring, work great and never loosened. I have In-Line Fabrication's reverse case kicker with a extra kicker arm installed on one of them, special want for the setup that I have. I have done other mods to them to suit my needs. I like the ease of use and position of the handle, really great for me. Great press. And if you get badgered buy people about the color RED, WalMart, ACE Hardware and other stores sell all colors of paint. I have other presses in other colors but the LEE Classic Turret is a darn good press.

Boolit Master
    Yes the lock rings of other dies can be A little tight depending on the Manufacturer. At the worst case scenario change the lock rings out with Lee lock rings and there’s no problem whatsoever. I’ve loaded thousands of rounds with mine and I used Lee dies, Hornaday, RCBS dies etc. I’ve never had a problem
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

I love my Classic Turret. Other dies and lock rings work fine. I mostly use Lee dies, but I do have some Lyman and Rcbs dies and lock rings that fit just fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Mold
    Go to Lee Precision and look at their brand new aluminum lock rings they just came out with. Knurled with a plastic wrench to tighten the ring and it has a set screw that doesn't dig into the threads to tighten the ring down. I love my Lee Classic Turret press and if I had to choose only one press to own for the rest of my life it would be the Lee Classic hands down. I also own 3 Lee Single stage presses, the Cast Iron Classic, Breech Lock O frame and the little C frame press for sizing. good quality and fair price for what you get. Buy what you think will work best for you and enjoy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Any chance you have a video of your press in action?
    No, and at this time it is packed up to make room for arrow building. Btw, it is inline fab, not hardline. Here is a short youtube vid of the reverse and kicker in action.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQz1rRoXIU0

And here is the rcbs bullet feeder die. I mount it in the seater location then set up die 4 to seat and crimp.
    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ce=sh%2Fx%2Fim

The die uses plastic feeder collets that required a couple minutes work to trim and smooth to work for me, but no big deal. I powdercoat, so works just as well as it would with jacketed. Lube would probably gum it up.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Can't say about other manufacturers lock rings, but I do know that the Lee Locking units(with the screw to lock the nut) will not pass each other on the turret head. You have to fiddle with running the die almost into position with the lock nut being held at a certain position to keep from two of them "meeting" somewhere and blocking each other.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

This may answer a few of your questions. The new Value press has had a number of upgrades done to it. One of which is spent primer handling. I spent months debating back and forth between the new Value press and the new ABLP progressive press. Finally went with the progressive as I already have a Lee 3 hole Value press. These presses work very well with pistol rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKNDpzzoE0s

Yes, you can mix and match reloading dies on the Lee Classic Turret to your heart's content. If you have reloaded for any length of time you will have die sets from many different makers. They all will work, the deal is to purchase enough discs so that you can leave them set up for each caliber. Saves lots of time and headaches in the setup.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Buddy
    I have the value press works fine.But if there is a chance in the future you might want to do the inline upgrades they (according to inline) wont work on the value press.I only do handgun cases on it and have no issues.

Boolit Bub
    I have one and had room to mount RCBS dies on it without an issue. I could see where a guy might have some with the bigger rings, but a guy could swap them out if he wanted.

I'm actually going to part ways with mine. I have a Loadmaster that I use for my larger quantity rounds and have found I prefer using the single stage on my other rounds. I can see how guys like the turrets, just wasn't for me.

Boolit Bub
    +1 on the classic! Love mine and have used a variety of dies. Mine was kind of messed up from the day it was new as the turret plate never indexed exactly right. Once I bent the rod a bit and fixed it it has been 100% reliable, all of the time, every time. I am sure lee would have fixed it for me but it was so easy I just did it myself...

Boolit Buddy

Another thumbs-up for the LEE Classic Turret Press. As mentioned previously, any manufacturers dies will work. I mostly use LEE lock rings but I also use Dillon rings.

I like the press's utility in that that it can be used with the auto-indexing feature, or one can remove the auto-index rod and move the turret by hand, or not turn the turret at all and use the press as a single stage unit. The ability to change turrets and load for another cartridge almost instantaneously is another big plus for me.

My Classic Turret Press has been very reliable and has given great service for many years--I don't have a negative comment about it at all.

Boolit Master
    I have classic and value turret presses and use Lee, Lyman, and Redding dies with both of them. I don't own any RCBS dies. I do like the Lee hex lock rings better then either the Lyman or Redding but have used all three.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast