Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: curio and relic license low down

Boolit Buddy

curio and relic license low down

I just retired and now have alot more time than money. I have always been interested in the C&R license. Can any of you guys enlighten me? Costs, Pro's, Cons, etc. many thanks, Randy.

Boolit Grand Master

I've twice renewed mine. Haven't bought anything recently but for $10/yr why not?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I let my license expire....accidentally. I forgot to renew in time and didn't feel like going thru the process again.

Haven't really missed it. Of course, I hesitated to buy some of the surplus rifles(K-31, mausers, etc) that now cost and arm and a leg, so didn't really put it to good use. I used it mainly for discounts at a few gun parts stores....Midway(now doesn't honor it), Brownells, and a few others.

Since I never bought any C&R firearms, I never got a visit from the feds. I don't know if they visit on a regular basis, but I never got visited in 12 or so years I had it.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    I just renewed mine for the next three years. I live in MA where you need a permit for a staple gun. I've been able to buy guns with the C&R that otherwise wouldn't be available to me unless they were already in the state. If I didn't need it, I probably wouldn't have it. $30 for three years.

Boolit Buddy

I've really been thinking about trying it out. Seems like a lot less hassle than a class1 FFL to maintain. I hope to get a few C&R weapons, really want the discount on ammo and components. Love the idea of getting guns shipped to my house, not paying FFL dealers. Like Wayne Smith stated, really hard to beat 10 dollars a year to maintain it. Randy.
    Last edited by sixgunner452; 01-11-2020 at 07:15 PM. Reason: edit

Boolit Master

I had mine twice. Bought exactly one Mosin with it. Midway stopped honoring them and the milsurps started drying up so I just let it go.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one for a few years. Not expensive, but I never used it. Realized I had too many guns I wasn’t shooting. The incentive to buy cheap mil-surp guns vanished when I could buy a better new gun for the same. $$$.

Makes sense if you are a collector.
    Don Verna

I got one last year and have picked up 4 rifles and a pistol....it's bad for my wallet but has paid for itself

Boolit Master
    I had mine back in the '90's before Clinton stopped most of the imports. I collected some cool stuff.
    After Clinton stopped the imports, it was mostly good for instant background check, and, buying ammo, cash&carry,
    YMMV

Banned

Grafs used to be the best place for the discount. Then one day they sent an email that said you had to do like $5K/year in sales from them. Then Midway and a few others.

Never heard of very many people getting a visit for an audit. Since you are not actually in a business they don't care.

I’ve saved over $1,000 in transfer fees in five years. Rifles straight to my door (or held at UPS/USPS/FedEx as needed). I’ve also used it to buy C&R guns when traveling out of state that I’d otherwise have missed or had to ship to an FFL.

Boolit Master

I've had a C&R for a while. Getting rifles delivered to your door without going through a dealer and transfer fee is too cool.

It's too bad you can only use it on those "old" guns that were manufactured before 1970.

Back when they were made of those crappy materials like wood and steel.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

I've renewed mine at least 4 times. I'll go a year to 15 mo. between purchases, sometimes less. I'm not really a collector. I only buy what I intend to reload for and shoot. All remain as issued, no sporterizing(bubbaizing?).

I just checked my inventory. I have 18 milsurps on the list. Actually, 17 because there is one Winchester 94 that was old enough to qualify.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I had one for years and stopped renewing it 2 years ago. The first few years I used it a lot, that's when there were a more milsurps around. When they began drying up I stopped buying but still renewed out of habit. I can't see a reason for having one now.
    Maineboy

In Remembrance
    Some people will offer to sell you info, forms, etc. to apply for the C&R FFL. NO need to do that as everything you need is available free on-line.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Some people will offer to sell you info, forms, etc. to apply for the C&R FFL. NO need to do that as everything you need is available free on-line.

Correct. I just contacted the BATFE direct and I got all the forms in the mail.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

It's not just milsurps - just about anything 50 years old or older fits - not everything, but most. For instance, when I get the cash my next purchase will be a S&W Mdl 10. Common, all of the police turn ins that will be coming back on the market when their original purchasers go are more than 50 years old. Many of the Mdl 15's likewise.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    I ended up letting mine expire while I was in the middle of a move. I plan on getting it back sooner than later.

The biggest benefit I saw with having one was that you don't have to worry about shipping to an FFL and the fees associated. That's one less person involved in handling it and with $20 or more per transfer, you save that $30 fee pretty rapidly.

It also made it more convenient if I was out of state and saw a C&R arm I wanted, especially if it was a handgun. No concerns about transferring to an FFL in your home state and all that.

My biggest problem may have been it was *too* convenient. My wife was constantly wondering where that "new" gun came from. Especially if it was some lowball bid on Gunbroker that I fluked out figuring there was no way I'd win it.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, I think you talked me into it. Think I'm gonna have to do it. many thanks, Randy.

Boolit Master

Dropped mine after a partner in the LLC 07 license we held had an in home inspection by BAFTE. So never say it don't happen. The agent did a full inspection and dis not like being able to handle the fire arms. My partner called the lawyer first thing , the lawyer told the agent any damage done would be on the agency. The partner was a Colt collector Any marks on the gun including one cocking would devalue the gun by 1/2.

After 5 hours of inspection the agent stated he would need another day. My partner asked why he was getting such action as the Manufacturing 07 shop he was a partner in never had such an inspection. Agent was stunned and said you hold another license? [so much for knowing what you are doing eh?]

He still came back the next day but the Partners Lawyer was also there so the inspection ended.

I dropped my C&R at the next re-newel. So did others at the shop and gun club.

I pay the FFL fee now when I need it also fill out the forms at dealers when I buy but no inspections without court orders happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast