WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Vintage Winchester Bolt Actions

Vintage Winchester Bolt Actions

I've owned a couple Winchester Model 70s but most of the Winchester products I've had were lever actions. I didn't know much about the Winchester bolt 22's, other than I'd really like a Model 52 ! But the 52 is out of my price range.

I was at a gunshow last week and there were a few tables of rifles from an estate sale. I spotted a Model 75 Sporter that was affordable, because it had been D&T'ed on top for Weaver scope bases, and it had an aftermarket, light colored, plain wood stock. It was priced at $450, so I took it home.
    Serial number shows this one to be a 1950 make.

This one came with the big Lyman 57 peep, and a Lyman 17 globe in the front ramp dovetail. The stock that it came with was well fitted and comfortable, but looked like a late war SKS or 98 Mauser, sorta like pine 2x4 grain. I knew I was going to be looking for an original stock.

The Model 75 was made from 1938 to 1958, over 300,000 of the Target model were produced, but only 70,000 some of the Sporter, so the Sporters are worth much more. An un-modified Sporter in good shape brings $1000 to $1500 today.

The Target version had a heavier 28 inch barrel, and a plain Walnut target style stock. Sporters had a slimmer 24 inch barrel, nicely figured and checkered wood with pistol grip cap and grooved steel butt plate, and the trigger guard was engraved with the word "Sporting" just in front of the magazine well.

Both the Target and Sporter had an action based on the Model 69A, but with refinements. The bolt was carefully head spaced to the action for a tight fit and bolt were engraved with the rifles serial number. The barrels had a tighter Match chamber and were lead lapped from breech to muzzle.
    Triggers were adjustable for weight of pull from 3 to 6 pounds, but there are ways to get them a bit lighter.
    5 round magazines were standard, but there were/are 10 round mags available.

Both Target and Sporter were drilled and tapped on the barrel for Unertl style block cope bases, and most were also drilled for the Lyman 57 peep sight. The Sporter had a hood on the front sight, mine must have gone missing when someone put the Globe sight on the front ramp.
    Since I'm not going to shoot much paper, and my eyes are not getting any better, I took off the peep sight and mounted an older Weaver V7 on the Weaver bases.
    I had to change the parallax on the Weaver from 100 yards to 50 yards, and it is a bit big looking, so I have a Weaver RV9 on it's way, along with some lower rings.
    I'd really like a gloss Leupold 2-7x Rimfire scope for it, but since they discontinued the gloss version, they are getting $300 plus for them.

Stocks for the 75 Sporter run close to $300, but no one showed any available. A guy on a rimfire forum, who jut happened to live 45 minutes from me, had a nice grained stock that he was willing to trade for my Lyman 57 receiver sight. Someone had cut 1/2" off, it's not too bad for LOP but I might put a leather lace-on extender or fit a red Pachmayr pad on it.

My trigger is set at 3 pounds and breaks like a glass rod. I haven't found any Match ammo to try in it, but good hunting ammo like Mini-Mags and RWS HVHP groups into 1/2" - 5/8" clusters at 50 yards.
    I ordered some parts from Numrich, a couple spare magazines, a repro hood to replace the missing front sight hood, and a couple of new trigger guard screws to replace the marred up ones.

Here it is as it now sits, the new scope and lower rings should be here in a few days:

Boolit Master
    That is an amazing recondition. I love the figure on that stock.

Not many guns out there can compete with a classic Winchester Bolt action. I have my grandpas 1934 Winchester 52 Pre-a and it’s amazing. Wife convinced me to buy a 1974 52d custom years ago which has the Olympic Freeland stock (Cabelas gun library didn’t realize what they had) and have an original 69a I got at auction for $80 and all of them are wonderful shooters.

Have a Mod 70 in the safe that I inherited from Dad but it was his dream gun for many years till I found him one with custom Monte Carlo stock (and original stock included) and he never fired it so I made him a deal that I wouldn’t fire it till he was with me so he could enjoy it as well.

Thank you to this thread, it’s reminded me to make sure I take my dad shooting this summer and enjoy these wonderful shooters. Hope your labor of love yields a wonderful story piece for the next generation. Enjoy.

Boolit Master

Very nice rifle. I have a Winchester 60 single shot from the 30's.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Having both a 69A and a 52C, picking up a 75 has never happened due to seeming a bit redundant. This is not to say that there haven't been a couple of close calls. . .

I learned to shoot on a Remington 510 single shot and later acquired the mag-fed 511 version out of a combination of nostalgia and wanting more rounds - I have nothing but towering respect for those rifles.

That said, Winchester really knocked it out of the park with the 69 / 75 series rifles. They clearly understood that the 52 was beyond a lot of folks, but still managed to turn out a very respectable lower price point rifle that managed to be a bit more refined than my soft-spot Remingtons. My 69A was a $150 pawn shop find about 18 year ago. It got it's worn/wiggly bolt 2-piece handle replaced with a 1-piece aftermarket clone (Outback Outdoors, IIRC) and the sights upgraded to a vintage 57 peep and 17A globe with post insert - - so it's basically running HK combat rifle sights. It really is a joy to run that rifle.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I have a M75 target model that carries a 15X Unertl.
    The poor thing has been a safe queen for Way too long.
    I have been thinking about taking it out and shooting it but........

Very nice!!!!

I'm a huge fan of the sporter versions of the target rifles & mainly seek the remington sporters. But I do have a winchester 52b sporter that's a pure joy to shoot.

There's something special about walnut & blue steel, you really hit that winchester model 75 out of the park!!!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Beautiful !! Makes you wish companies would make rifles like that today . I ran across a Winchester 320 that's nice , but , not like that !

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    I've been a fan of the Winchester 69/75 rifles for nearly 50 years. I picked up a nice 75 Sporter made in 1940 at a decent price because it had been drilled and tapped. I was going to scope it anyway so it was OK with me. I've got a standard 69A, a 69A Match, a 57 and a super nice 75 target made in 1948 that is nearly mint. I had a 75 target that I bought years ago for $65 and I had cut it down and made into a sporting rifle for squirrel hunting. I was out shooting it one day with a friend of mine with a 52 target. My 75 shot rings around his 52 and he begged me to sell it to him so I did and he sold the 52. Here's a pic of my 1940 75 Sporter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winchester 75 Sporter.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

You did an outstanding job returning that rifle to what is was supposed to look like.
    I have a 69A that I returned close to what it would have been when manufactured. It sure has put many rabbit meals on the table.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very nice work. I have been a fan of the M52 since college when I used the club gun....no way this poor guy could have bought one then. About 15 years ago bought a 52 sporter. Doubt that rifle will be sold until after I pass.
    Don Verna