RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cz 457 vs Tikka t1x 17hmr?

Boolit Bub

Cz 457 vs Tikka t1x 17hmr?

I am looking at both rifles and can't seem to make up my mind. Anybody have any experience with either rifle? Any other suggestions that I might be overlooking?

Boolit Master
    Check out Rimfire Central.com. Lots of reviews on both rifles and lovers of both. Being a CZ owner, I am biased and would purchase the 457 to go next to my 455, Redhead Deluxe, and 75B. Please do not make the decision based on my opinion, I have no experience with either and hear Tikka's are nice.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the honest opinion. I am leaning towards the cz.

I have a Brno model 1 in 22lr the predecessor to the 457 and a 527 in 17 HH so I'm prejudice too but I am very impresses with CZ. Sorry no help on the Tikka.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I am no help with the 457 or the tikka. But I do have a few CZ rifles. The first one I got was CZ 455 Varmint. I got it in the 17HMR to replace a 22mag that was stolen. What I was not used to was the backwards safety. I have to pull my safety back to take it off safe to shoot. The next thing I didn't like was the trigger. The trigger in my 455 was junk. I replaced it with a Timney and it was all good. I love my 455 now, it shoots great out to 150 yards. I have shot a couple of chucks out to 238 yards.

That being said the 457 was made to correct these problem. The 457 action is brand new. They shortened it a bit, Gave it a new trigger, and a push off safety. On paper the 457 is a far better rifle. When I shoot my 455 I am so impressed with the rifle that the 457 should be a great rifle.

Boolit Mold
    I would go CZ. I just picked one up after researching half a dozen rifles - got a cz452 like the one here.

Slightly better value, but realistically both fantastic rifles. You'll be happy either way.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I bought a Used CZ 452 ultra lux super exclusive two years ago for 325 bucks in 22lr. I finally cleaned it the other day and checked the action torque screws that were loose. I tourqued them to 22 inch pounds and group tested. The first five round group I shot at 50 yards were with CCI stingers that are not supposed to group worth a darn in those guns. I shot a .457 five shot group. I haven’t tried expensive target ammo on it yet we’re just a bunch of stuff I had laying around through the years. The cheap Winchester 333 shoot just as tight as the stingers. I had fun and put a cheap Tasco 3 x 9 mill dot scope I picked up for around 40 bucks years ago on it to play with. With the second mill that down I can hit rocks the size of quarters shot for shot all day long. It’s a fun little gun. The Tika looks like a really accurate shooter to. I don’t think you’re gonna make a wrong decision either way if it were me I just buy both and stop losing sleep about it.lol

I need to get another CZ but either in a 22 mag or 17 HMR, something with a little bit more knockdown power and instant death for squirrels and small game.

I just went to the hardware store and bought a $.15 spring and I have my trigger down to just a hair under a pound safely.

Boolit Grand Master
    No idea on either of the new rifles; but every CZ I have shot has been accurate, be it center or rimfire.

Robert

I have very little experience with tikka, very soft to operate.
    I can't talk about precision, but I don't think they're bad, at least I never heard anything bad about them
    If I have a lot of experience with a cz 452 in 22lr
    It is the weapon that I like the most, that I use the most and what I want most
    I almost bought another just to have it without riflescope, but it got out of hand

I have very little experience with tikka, very soft to operate.
    I can't talk about precision, but I don't think they're bad, at least I never heard anything bad about them
    I have a lot of experience with a cz 452 in 22lr
    It is the weapon that I like the most, that I use the most and what I want most
    I almost bought another just to have it without riflescope, but it got out of hand

Boolit Master
    Another comment to check out rimfire central as there will be fans of both. No experience with the Tikka. The problem with CZs is get one and you will want another.

Boolit Buddy
    Like the 452 CZ American of mine. Replaced trigger with a Timiney. Sent a Leopold 2X7 back to company to have paralax set for 22 LR. Best 22 rifle I ever had.

I recently bought (for my wife, you know) a used CZ 457 in 17 HMR. It had a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7 Rimfire scope on it, and was like new. With the CCI 20 grain Gamepoint it averages under MOA for five-shot groups. To say that I (oops, my wife, I mean.) am happy with the rifle is an understatement. My only complaint is aesthetic: The impressed checkering does not do justice to the really nice piece of European walnut on it.

CZ 452 Americans have set triggers don’t know why you would mess with them. I shot my Appleseed course with one , everyone thought I was crazy until I shot a 190.

Boolit Grand Master

CZ 452 do not have a set trigger. The 453 does.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I think the CZ is more attractive with walnut and blue but the Tikka appears to be a little more accurate from reports on RC.

Boolit Bub
    The Tikka has an excellent adjustable trigger and uses some of the T3x accessories. I've seen several one hole 50yd groups shot with T1x's. I'm still chasing the one hole group with mine. It has something to do with the nut behind the stock.
    Hopelessly afflicted with a life long addiction to the rifled bore!

Two things always make me smile, powder smoke wafting down the firing line and the ring of a Garand clip hitting the ground.

Boolit Bub
    I bit the bullet and ordered the 457 varmint from dahlonega armory. I will post 100 yard targets as soon as the weather clears up and I can actually shoot. Thanks for all the responses

Boolit Buddy
    How bout it? Did the weather ever clear up? We're still waiting on pins and needles for that post.

Boolit Bub
    I was very disappointed with the first few clips I ran through it. Probably a 2-3" group at a 100. Cleaned it up and tried it again. I can now say I am very pleased. I have been using it since the leaves came off for squirrels. The furthest shot so far this year was 110 but I am routinely taking squirrels at 65-90. I am very pleased with the way this rifle is shooting right now. Now the only hang up is split necks on hmr ammo...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast