Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Reconditioning M1907 Sling

Boolit Master

Reconditioning M1907 Sling

I've been helping my parents clear stuff out of their house, and my Dad had an old leather military sling that doesn't look like it's in too bad of shape. I believe it's an M1907 sling. It has brass hooks, not steel. My Grandpa got a bunch of these slings probably back in the 1950s or 60s, and I think this is one of them.

It's a little crusty, but the leather is still very pliable and the green fuzzy stuff on the hooks really isn't too bad. I'd like to clean up the brass hardware and recondition the leather.

Any suggestions on how best to do this?

I've cleaned up brass in the past with 4/0 steel wool, but I'm not too sure about the leather, and I'm wondering if there's a better way to clean up the brass hardware.

Thanks,
    Mike

Boolit Master

Traditionally the sling would be cleaned with Brasso on the metal, saddlesoap and then neatsfoot oil on the leather.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Simply clean off the green crud ( vertigris) with a dry rag or brush. Use pure neatsfoot oil applied on the leather sparingly with a rag over a few weeks. Don’t do too much or use anything with water as that leather is very dry and will crack if you go to fast.
    I can’t emphasize the use of Pure Neatsfoot , not prime or blend as those contain petroleum products and will rot out the stitching. You can get pure at a farm or saddlery store but you may have to order it.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.