MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Springfield M1903 NRA Sporter

Boolit Master

Springfield M1903 NRA Sporter

Thought maybe some would like a gander at a 1929-vintage real-for-real M1903 NRA Sporter. Righteous hit in SRS records, star gauge barrel, polished bolt and raceways, Lyman 48. Accuracy hovers right around MOA with jacketed loads (168 Sierra Matchkings), she'll get her chance with cast bullets once the weather cooperates.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Yup! A real treasure. Have a little experience with those and other '03s of that period..

Attachment 254619
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    And her big sister: M1903 Style-T, re-barreled by John Dubiel circa 1937.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01-11-2020 at 12:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    I had a chance to buy an original Style "T" many years ago for $900. Everytime I see one I feel like a one man buttkicking contest. Beautiful rifle and thanks for the memories. Frank

Moderator Emeritus

What a gorgeous rifle you have! Best wishes with it, too. I bought a "sporterized 1903" years back, quite inexpensive with its sewer-pipe bad barrel and low serial number -- a Springfield Armory S/n 109,945; made in 1905 -- indicating it being "Unsafe To Shoot". [I was told Springfields <843,239 and RIA's <285,507 are UTS ] I gifted it to a son-in-law to be used as a wall-hanger so I no longer possess it -- but I have never heard of, " M1903 Style-T".
    Might you enlighten me was 'Style-T' is? (I was kind of guessing, maybe 'Target')
    Thanks much!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Style T = heavy barreled target rifle, provided by the Armory. Used in long range competition, 1920's-30's. Darned few made, quite rare. This one is a bit of a mystery as to its provenance, but it was barreled by a noted barrel man of the day. It's why I got it for a whole lot less than current value of an unmolested righteous T.

Boolit Master
    Wow, what a pair of treasures from the past. Enjoy them with out measure! Shame on me for not buying at least one springfield years ago.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Real treasures. Very nice.

Boolit Master

I wonder if anyone makes a re-production style T stock like that? Be nice to restock an old Springfield that was cut up & sporterized back in the days when that was the fad.

Boolit Master

Those rifles are fabulous. I would dearly love to own even a lowly 03/a3. Yours are most certainly holy grail guns. I know you will enjoy them as would I.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    WOW! what a find. A wonderful addition to any collection. I've never seen a real NRA sporter in person. The Springfield sporters I generally see are from Bubbas Shade Tree Gun Shop and tractor repair or perhaps the muppets gun shop. I have friend that has collected springfields for many years and I'm sure he must have one, guess I'll have to go see him and ask to see his collection. He's ninety years young and the last time I talked to him he was saying he may start selling off some of his collection as his kids aren't interested but, at the same time he tried to buy my 03-A4 from me so maybe he isn't quite ready to stop collecting. Thanks for sharing.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.