Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: The Importance of Training

The Importance of Training

Hi guys: If you've been paying attention you'll remember that I harp on Getting Proper Training to use your guns,,, alot.

It is pointless to have or carry a gun if you don't know how to use it, or aren't willing to use it.

I have been a member of Front Sight since 2006 and have been to many (25+) courses.

I am Relatively Proficient with Rifles, Pistols, and Shotguns. Before being introduced to Front Sight I was pretty confident that I was "very proficient" with Rifles Pistols and Shotguns.

In Short,,, I was an idiot! I had no idea what I was doing!

If I had been pushed into a gunfight the best I could have realistically hoped for, would have been to not shoot myself!

I'm not trying to be funny here. This is a Realistic assessment of my skill level then, based on my current skill level. I was 56 years old at the time and "Thought" I knew what I was doing. I did NOT! And I have to tell you that I am NOT the Exception here. Unless you have had serious training from either an Accredited School (more than just one or two classes) or the Military or Law Enforcement, you don't either!

Sorry, but this is the Cruel REALITY!!!

In short I had no idea of what to do, or why I should be doing it. In reality I was only aware of which end of the gun was the business end, however the concept of "not pointing the gun at myself," was foreign to me. I covered myself alot. I was pretty unsafe to be around. And once again, I am NOT the exception here.

What I am doing today is relaying a message sent to me this morning by Ignatius Piazza offering every one who responds a,,,

Totally Free no strings attached 4 Day Defensive Handgun Course at Front Sight.

Here are two videos: The first one is Brad Ackman critiquing the video of the Recent Church Shooting where the bad guy was killed quickly.

The Second is Dr Piazza telling you how to sign up for your Free Course.

I highly recommend that you at least look at these videos and seriously think about taking him up on this offer. Once you attend a course you will see EXACTLY what I was talking about in my experience 14 years ago, and you will be on your way to becoming a "Truly Responsible Gun Owner."

https://www.ignatius-piazza-front-si...ings-attached/

Hope this helps some of you!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-10-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Hi Randy,
    The link did not work for me.
    Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Or me either. Maybe you have to be a member? He is a long way away from me all the way over here on the Atlantic Ocean.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

A knowing and honest person will never ignore or despise knowledge or training.
    When you know more than those around you, you always have the upper hand.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

OK I just reset the videos and they work now I did this earlier as it did it before I think this site might not like the videos.

https://www.ignatius-piazza-front-si...ings-attached/

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Has anyone looked at the vidoes? Lots of good info there and getting a free 4 day class is about a $2000 gift. You should look into it.

Randy

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    "Military or Law Enforcement" Training ; )
    H/D

Yes I put that in there just so some people wouldn't be offended.

I see them in every class and I can usually beat any one of them.

Some LEO's are "gun guys," and they practice often and lots partake in competitions so they are handling their guns frequently which is the key to staying proficient.

The guys who only shoot once a year for qualification are the ones who are at the greatest risk, because they have a false sense of their abilities, or figure they won't ever have to use their guns. Those people have no business being in LE!

At my best, which was earlier in life, I saw my skills deteriorating with in one month of not live fire drilling, even with some Dry Fire practice in between. Now I need to shoot the Front Sight Drills at least once a week to stay sharp and it is nearly impossible for me to do that, due to time constraints.

We go to FS twice a year, We try to do two different types of classes, like Rifle/Pistol or Rifle/Shotgun, Shotgun /Pistol, each time we go to pack the most training into the trip as is possible.. Realistically the Pistol needs to be done most often as it will be what goes to ship quickest.

All of these are mostly about gun handling but Pistols are the most finicky about Sight Alignment, and Trigger Control. Rifle is second and Shotguns are the least finicky, for obvious reasons, This is why we see the most older guys in the Shotgun Classes. But Shotguns have way more gun handling involved to run them effectively than Rifles do.

Can you pop 4 targets with a pump gun in 2.7 seconds? I can't, and I know what I need to do. I can do it with a Semi Auto but I can't work a pump gun fast enough to make the last shot in time. I can get 3 in 2.1 but not 4. Can you substitute a slug for buckshot and make a 50 yard hit in 5.0 seconds?,,, I can and I can do it every time with either a pump or SA shotgun. I have not seen one cop who could even make the changeover, let alone the shot in time.

These are just some of the things you learn how to do. Everything about all of the Rifle, Pistol or Shotgun courses are designed to take you from nothing to competent in short order. And the training actually works !!!

But to get better at anything you have to go over the subject many times, thus more times to the class is necessary to develop the skills to their fullest.

When I see a cop at a Gun Store and ask him how many times a month he shoots and he tells me hardly ever. I usually make a comment to the effect that "you carry a gun for a living, might be a good idea to be proficient with it?" These guys are just ticket writers and moving targets who aren't even aware that they are being hunted. And NOW more than any time in the past.

As far as Military Training,,, Vietnam War Era (like me) training is not sufficient, it was almost non existent. If you haven't been in the "Gun Toting Military" in the last 5 years,,, you are behind the curve training wise.

I recently observed a bunch of "Coasties" "qualifying" at our gun range. Not one of them could run a Pump Shotgun in anything close to an effective manner. They were pathetic,, and I am being generous! most of them couldn't even take the recoil. They had not been taught anything close to what they would have gotten in 4 days at Front Sight. I suggested that to the leader who basically uffed me. He had no clue.

This is a gun related forum, and usually if you are here you are a shooter. Some people derive pleasure from just going to the range and popping off a few rounds or shooting groups til the cows come home, and there is nothing wrong with that.

However, like anything else, striving to be good at what you do is kind of a goal we all should aspire to. And given the 2nd Amendment nature of our interests, it almost goes without saying, that we should be well trained and have a "Combat Mindset" and the Shooting Discipline to back it up, so that "IF",,, we were called on to be part of that "Militia" that we are all part of as citizens of the US(whether or not we know it?)That maybe we would be good enough to actually be a effective fighting force to defend our country from all threats, foreign or domestic,,,

Which may start in earnest as early as next Monday 1/20/2020 in Richmond Virginia ?

Think about it ! Maybe you should look at the videos above and take Ignatius Piazza up on his offer?

Just sayin' .

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-18-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Many of us would not survive any confrontation.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I did a little research (very little) and came up with some pretty damning stuff like defaulting in a bankruptcy and violating court orders not to mention very heavy email adds. Just my .02
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Randy,
    Your point about training is valid.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Merlin: The place has been around since 1996. We started in 2006 and go twice a year.

The place has 250,000 members, and runs 80,000+ a year thru the facility.

In all those visits, do you think everybody is 100% happy? That is an impossibility as there is always haters, or people that get hurt feewings, and for some reason they always feel compelled to voice their negative opinion.

You can stop emails from coming simply by "Opting Out!" But people seldom do because he gives away alot of free stuff. Just like the offer I posted in the OP. There is also free Training Manuals, Tech Tips, Political Alerts, and the like.

The whole point of this thread was to engage people on the subject of training and how it is necessary for safe and efficient firearms use.

Randy

My comment may have seemed silly but it is truthful. Yes - training is very important. Gun games are fun. How fast can you draw? And hit a target (the correct one?). Awareness is first, skill second. Reaction time to the SITUATION (not the draw) is vital.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    My comment may have seemed silly but it is truthful. Yes - training is very important. Gun games are fun. How fast can you draw? And hit a target (the correct one?). Awareness is first, skill second. Reaction time to the SITUATION (not the draw) is vital.
    They teach that as well. It's called the "Color Code of Mental Awareness," invented by Jeff Cooper

Randy