RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Problem With Using A Steel Base For A Press?

Boolit Grand Master

Any Problem With Using A Steel Base For A Press?

I have a Lee Challenger mounted on a piece of 2x8 and clamped to my table for use. I decided to mount a Lee Turret that I bought secondhand next to it and there was too much flex. I had a piece of flat steel in the garage I used to weld something else so I cut out a square, drilled holes to match both presses and then degreased it. Grinding the edges off round, I spray painted it with RustOleum, put it on top of the 2x8 and then mounted the presses. Nice and solid.

My question is that I'm now thinking of sparks or static from the steel. Since I spray painted the entire thing should I be concerned with that as in, if I drop a tool or something on the steel do you think I could get enough of a spark to cause a problem? I could cover the entire thing with a cloth around the presses I guess.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Nothing wrong with steel bases plate. I use the Lee press mount system it is steel base plates. It's not like you're reloading with flint tools. It takes some effort beyond accidentally dropped tools to make sparks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Personally, I doubt if there would be a problem. There are many presses with steel parts and a mounting plate of steel will not add any "sparking" possibility (unless a bare power cord drops across the plate. But then if the plate isn't grounded there might not be any sparking/arcing even then.).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Your good to go. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/rbs_...4&userid=27901 uses steel on there mounts. Now I wouldn't try striking a fire starter while using black powder, other than that you should be ok.

My reloading bench has a steel frame & legs from 2" x 4", 3/16ths" Steel tubing, with a 1/4" steel plate on top.
    I haven't noticed any spark issue.

Presses are bolted down with 1/2" nuts & bolts.
    Powder measure and trimmer are mounted with tapped holes into the deck itself.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-10-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I've had steel base (8" x 15") plates under my Hornady Progressive and Rock Chucker for going on 30yrs.
    No Problems Yet.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I've been wanting to do very similar, I just don't have a source for a few scrap steel plates since I'm not in the metal or machining industry. I've been pondering on using hardwood, oak or ash. I want to do interchangeable plates with my press and lubesizer and affixed through the table with t nuts and bolts. I'm sure hardwood would work for the sizer but not sure about the press.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I've been wanting to do very similar, I just don't have a source for a few scrap steel plates since I'm not in the metal or machining industry. I've been pondering on using hardwood, oak or ash. I want to do interchangeable plates with my press and lubesizer and affixed through the table with t nuts and bolts. I'm sure hardwood would work for the sizer but not sure about the press.
    I tried a piece of Rock Maple with the C Press I had it was quite sturdy. Should be a metal place near you somewhere or a welding shop you can get a small square from. Any place that does heavy equipment repair should have what you need.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I have a steel supplier near me. They supply a lot of the steel fabricaters around here as well as build things them selves.
    They have an area in the back corner were they put the left over bits. You can go in and buy this for a per pound price. I have picked up a lot of bits from them for my projects.
    Last big bit was a piece of square tubing to extend a trailer tounge so it could haul a boat easier.
    Look around near you for such a place.
    Leo

Thanks for the ideas.

Boolit Grand Master

I would suggest when using salvaged plate to use a straight edge to check that it is still flat. a bowed plate may cause issues with some plates being stronger / stiffer than the press bases. Otherwise the steel plate will stiffer a weak bench top nicely

Boolit Master

I've got my Dillon 550B, Redding T7 and Rockchucker mounted to my bench which is a full 2" thick. All other benched equipment is mounted on 1/2' to 3/4' thick micarta plate and C clamped to the bench top when required. The micarta plate is absolutely flat and probably resists flexing as well as steel up to 3/8" thick, at least for the stress I would put on it in reloading operations.

Sort of off topic but I wouldn't hesitate to use steel if I had the means to work with it.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Not in less you’re planning on grinding on the steel plate while you’re reloading at the same time you’re not gonna get static or sparks
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    If that was a major concern they wouldn’t make cast steel or cast iron reloading presses and powder measures
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005-re.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	254588

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006-resize.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	254589

This is my bench top. 5/16" steel plate recessed in then drilled and tapped for my different presses.

No problem, I have a number of presses mounted on steel plates. 9 right now on the top of a steel bench.

Boolit Master

The OLD Air Force 127-100 Explosive Safety Manual said the reloader should have a ground wire and
    be grounded.

Mike

p.s. mine do not
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I welded my electrical quad boxes under my bench, it’s grounded via the wall outlet in the room it’s in as are the presses bolted to it. I can’t tell any difference between it and all of the wooden ones I have had except it’s more ridged.

Boolit Master
    I too used 2x4 shaped steel tubing with 1/4" thick walls. all the connecting plates are of 1/2" steel plate.
    the lower shelf is 8 feet long... 8 inch wide steel plate that is 1/2" thick.

the whole assembly with NOTHING mounted on it is close to 500 pounds. And the lead ingots on the left weigh roughly 9 to 10+ pounds each.
    the lead on the right is weighed in 7+ pound ingots.

is it stabil? .....why yes indeed it is.

950 pounds of lead ....+400 pound frame ...+ whatever 5 presses weigh.

during a cycle ...not one thing wiggles or vibrates.
    Last edited by mozeppa; 01-11-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add

Boolit Master
    My reloading bench is an old machine table, 2’X7’ and is 1-1/4” top plate, weight est @ 750#. Very heavy and stable. No spark issues yet 2+ years and it not grounded. Its just a little to tall, and to cut legs would be a major ordeal, so i just stand or sit on tall barstool. Only way to creat a spark would be to strike with something very hard on the edge and I’m not up to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast