WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS uniflow

RCBS uniflow

Picked up a RCBS uniflow from my lgs on Monday for $75 cnd, was wondering did I get a good deal, what are the pros and cons of this unit and, dose anyone have any good words of wisdom for it. Will say it’s sure is faster than lee dippers I charged 100 cases in the time it took me to do 20 or so befor

Thanks in advance
    Cast outlaw

Boolit Master

If it has both the large and small drums you are set for just about any cartridge you would want to load. If it just has the small drum you may have trouble with the larger rifle loads, and if it only has the large drum, you may not be able to throw the small pistol loads. It is a very accurate measure with most powders and the price you paid was fair.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    The biggest thing with any pound of measure is consistency of use. bump it on the upstroke and on down stroke the same way each time! In addition as with any measure different powders or more consistent than others. Stick or extruded powder is typically more difficult to get a uniform drop out of but with a little practice you can certainly get it within an acceptable range and trickle it to your exact measure. Personally I like them I have two one for pistol with the small drum and one competition for my large rifle. I also have a lyman 55 and a Lee auto desk. I’m sure others will disagree but personally I have never found that one powder measure fits all. each one has their place as does dippers. In my opinion the RCBS uniflow and the Lyman 55 are reasonably priced powder measures that will certainly do the job if used properly. The biggest thing as I said earlier is consistency use it the same way each and every time. personally I always verify. I verify with a scale at a minimum of every 10th drop and visually inspect my cases.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast_outlaw View Post
    Picked up a RCBS uniflow from my lgs on Monday for $75 cnd, was wondering did I get a good deal, what are the pros and cons of this unit and, dose anyone have any good words of wisdom for it. Will say it’s sure is faster than lee dippers I charged 100 cases in the time it took me to do 20 or so befor

Thanks in advance
    Cast outlaw
    It's a great deal, if you got both drums with it. I'm not sure what they cost now, having bought mine used, many years ago. It's not my favorite, but I like it. I also have a Hornady LNL measure. There isn't a whole lot of difference between them. If I had know how similar they are I wouldn't have bought the other one.
    Pro: it's made of steel, and cast iron, and mine throws accurate charges(rifle sized) of flake and spherical powder.
    Con: Mine hates small charges of any type of powder, and doesn't like extruded powder at all.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

I have a few and love them!

Poppy told ya straight. Tap that handle on up and down strokes. I do multiple on down stroke. But a baffle too if it didnt come with!

I drop extruded ball and most flake very well! Dryer sheets cut down on static. The one problems with the plastic hoppers. Well there is another problem. DONT LEAVE POWDER IN THEM!! Some
    Dont like it!! Over night is ok just speaking to storage of powder in hopper.

Something else I like is the ability to charge the drum on the up or down stroke by simply changing direction of handle!!

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

They are fantastic. I put a Hornady case activated powder drop on mine and mounted it on the turret press works like a charm. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog.../5946/inline/1

Boolit Master

$75 Canadian exchanges to $58 US.

Uniflows with one drum goes for around $100 here. I'd say you got a good deal if it was new.

It was with one drum and used but lightly and reasonably certain it’s the large drum

Boolit Buddy
    I have several also. As mentioned give each stroke a sharp rap up the the same downward every time for the best consistent weight. Also check the lock nut often and check powder weight.

Boolit Master

I have 2 powder measure--one RCBS with the large drum, and one Redding(old 50's version) and they both are dead on accurate(well within .1 to maybe .2 depending on the powder selected). I have always used the tap sharply on the upstroke and sharply on the downstroke method. I use a 1960's Lyman M2 balance beam scale to check each and every powder charge. Yes that is overkill but since I double charged a pistol round back in the 80's(with a Dillon 550 set up), I started check weighing each scale before I start a session and also check each charge against both the powder measure and the beam scale and only if the charge is within .1 does it go into the case. Since I no longer shoot competition of any kind (I am 78 now), I got rid of the Dillon presses I had (2 x 450's and 1x550 and 1xSquare Deal). I am in no hurry when I load, just enjoy it for a hobby that goes along with the shooting. I have never had problems that others mention about some powders that do not want to drop with consistently but I really believe the tap method is the key. Anyway, I would recommend the tapping method and use it both on the upstroke and the downstroke, I think it will work for you. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Man
    I have owned a Uniflow since 1969 .... and I can thrown 3.3 grains of titegroup consist with it ... mine has the large chamber ....so yes you can go down to small charges with the large drum....

Boolit Master
    Have had one for about 40 years. Works great. Once set I weigh every 5 rounds. Also i have got to where I only use the small drum. Drop 2 charges in large loads. Just saves switching out drums.

Boolit Master

I have used one since the 60s.
    I found that if you tap it lightly twice at the top of the up stroke I get more consistent throws.
    It is an excellent measure.
    I have two. One with the small drum and one with the large drum.
    Both have large and small drop tubes….dale

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimKirk View Post
    I have owned a Uniflow since 1969 .... and I can thrown 3.3 grains of titegroup consist with it ... mine has the large chamber ....so yes you can go down to small charges with the large drum....

I find this to be the case. If, indeed, you have the large drum/rotor..............I would recommend purchasing the RCBS micrometer adjusting stem. It only works with the large rotor, so you won't even miss the small rotor.

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    What Winelover said.

Boolit Grand Master

The micrometer adjust upgrade makes returning to a charge much easier. Just write the micrometer setting down in you notes for the load powder type. I have it on mine and it works well. Mine also benefited from a simple baffle in the hopper. Throw some charges and get used to it, find out how it wants to be ran and enjoy

With a new to me measure I may set up and throw a hopper or 2 of powder weighing each charge and documenting in groups of 10 just so I know what to expect. this will also show where any variations are in relation to hopper level.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have one each . With the large I had trouble throwing charges of Unique under 3.0 gr .
    IMR 4350 , 4895 metered well 4198 not so much .

I was fortunate to trade into mine and I would probably buy one now having used the Lee wonders also . My exploring has shown them to be $80-90 complete to new .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Man
    I need add that mine has the micrometer stem ....

Quote Originally Posted by Cast_outlaw View Post

Thanks in advance
    Cast outlaw
    I think you made a good choice picking one of these up. In the past few years i have picked up four of the uniflow's and they have always been very accurate. Make sure and listen to what the others have said about the double bump . ( I have also found the double bump makes a difference)

Boolit Buddy
    I have two of the Uniflow measures, large drum and small drum. Both are set up with micrometer stems. They have worked flawlessly for over 20 years. You made a good choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast