Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman Brass Smith 8-Station Turret Press

Boolit Mold

Lyman Brass Smith 8-Station Turret Press

'For those who own one, how do you like it?...Is it possible to still prime on the press without using the priming-system, just dropping the primer into the priming-cup, by hand?...I was considering the Lee Classic Turret, but don't care for the problematic, plastic-bushing, and inherent, indexing-issues...The Lyman is attractively priced, and comes with a lifetime-warranty...'Something that one doesn't get with anything mfg. by Lee...

Thanks in advance for your input...

Boolit Master
    I have a Lee 4 hole turret. I have loaded thousands of rounds( 9mm Luger, 9mm Makarov -9x18, 223/5.56, 30.06 to name a few) I have NEVER had a problem with the auto index. I love being able to change the turrets and dies without haves to change and re-set the dies. If coast is a factor, like it is for me, I would seriously consider the Lee classic Turret. Take care of it and it’ll take care of you. With all that being said there is certainly nothing wrong with a Lyman either. ultimately the choice is yours. Do your research and get the press that works the best for you at the price you can afford.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I have a Lee 4-hole CTP I purchased in 2011, and like Poppy42, I very much like my Lee CTP.

1)I still am using the original plastic bushing. Never a problem with that. I think a spare came with it (or I ordered one- don't remember), but the spare is still in a box of parts I keep for reloading stuff.

2) IF the alignment of the priming feeder is adjusted properly, I don't think there are any problems with Lee's priming system on their CTP.

3) The auto-index works just fine. No problems... I can't even remember having a problem with the auto-index. Period.

I have loaded MANY thousands of rounds of .357 mag, .38 special, .45ACP, 45-70, 40-65, 40-82, and 30-06 on my CTP, and I am very happy with it. Note on the 30-06: Lee might say the 30-06 is too long of a round due to the length of the round when seating/crimping a boolit. This may be true depending on your situation (it is a problem for me - long boolit), but to save an additional operation I just ground off some of the bottom of my RCBS seating die and all is fine with that. Might need to, might not... YMMV

I think the Lee CTP has a good cost point consideration, if that is a concern. YMMV

Boolit Master
    I have 2 Lyman presses and several other pieces of Lyman equipment they work well but would not trade my LCT for any other single stage or turret the LCT is a unique press in this category with many user friendly features.
    I also have never replaced a single part on mine and have not adjusted the index since the initial setup.
    I ordered several spare plastic bits with the press and have not used any.
    The unique features that I like on the LCT are the primer catcher , the turret heads are less than 15.00 each and are supported for the full diameter and just turn and lift out to change calibers , if you don't want auto index the index rod pulls out with no tools , I like the primer feed it has a learning curve but works great once you learn setup an operation (I bought the auto breech lock pro because it uses the same primer feed ) don't let the bashers scare you off .
    The other turrets from Lyman , RCBS and Redding are well built presses but they don't do what the Lee can do for me in the way I use mine...... what is best is that you get the one that does what you want in your process.

Brian Pearce did a review on it in a recent Handloader and seemed to like it a lot. I believe he does separate hand priming though.