Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Mechanical meat tenderizer?

Mechanical meat tenderizer?

Anybody use one for deer steaks? I am thinking of the crank style.

Boolit Grand Master

A buddy of mine had one that made cubed steak and ran cutlets of deer through it to do the same. Works on boneless pork chops as well. Battered and fried along with biscuits and gravy was one of my favorites for breakfast.

Boolit Master

I purchased a used LEM Grinder and it came with a meat tenderizer it is an older model, not the 2 in 1 slicer/tenderizer, but it works great. Even though I am not a fan of cubed steak, I made four out of one of the leg muscles, to try it out. If the hand cranked one is like the motorised one, it should work great.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	415808.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	254568
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Mold
    I have one that attaches to my Weston #8 grinder and it appears to be the same blades that the hand crank version uses. I’m very satisfied with it, I typically run beef through 3-4 times and it’s essentially just like the cubed steak that you buy at the grocery. Haven’t had the opportunity yet to run deer through it though.

Boolit Master
    I bought one from Sportsmens Guide, for $19.99, and it works great. I ran some deer backstraps and some pork loin, did a great job, but wont take a thick piece. The teeth are made of plastic, but do a great job. This just clamps to a table or shelf, and put a plate underneath. I think it is a good product for the money especially.

Boolit Master

What koger said ^^^^^.
    The steaks need to be no more than 1/2" thick....dale

Banned

I have one just like it but it is white. I use mine a lot. We probably eat cubbed venison once a week. Only steaks I do anymore that don't go through it are back straps. Absolutely makes the best chicken fried steaks you can get. Lots of crooks and crannys for spice and flour to hold on to and you can allways cut it with a fork. Buddy has the same unit but a manual crank model. It works too but the power one is 3 times faster. I wouldn't be without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I purchased a used LEM Grinder and it came with a meat tenderizer it is an older model, not the 2 in 1 slicer/tenderizer, but it works great. Even though I am not a fan of cubed steak, I made four out of one of the leg muscles, to try it out. If the hand cranked one is like the motorised one, it should work great.

Name:	415808.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	254568

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Lloyd will flame me in this one...

I tenderize my venison using a brine of water, apple cider vinegar, and canning salt. I normally soak it for two days. I then was off the meat and soak in milk for a day just in case there was some vinegar that soaked that into the meat to remove it. From What I’ve read it does not give the meat a different taste by doing so but removes the residual blood that was left from me not properly aging my venison. I can cut my meat with a fork it’s so soft.

I’d like to get one of those toys above in Lloyd’s post above to try instead one of these days.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    What koger said ^^^^^.
    The steaks need to be no more than 1/2" thick....dale
    The one I have will do 1.25" , and I wouldn't run it more than once, there are a bunch of slices in just one pass. This thing is a beast, I just don't do this type of steaks, otherwise I would use it more often. I may change my mind once I cook the ones I did, but I doubt it as I am not a fan of chicken fried anything, though I've never tried a venison steak done that way.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

You have to be real careful cleaning that thing - anything on those blades gets driven deep into your meat.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

tell you what. I have my opinions but you know what there worth! If it works for you and you like the taste then go for it. They also make a version of that same cuber that has a hand crank on it so you don't need a grinder to run it. My buddy has one. Not near as fast as the power one but he has a cooperative wife!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Lloyd will flame me in this one...

I tenderize my venison using a brine of water, apple cider vinegar, and canning salt. I normally soak it for two days. I then was off the meat and soak in milk for a day just in case there was some vinegar that soaked that into the meat to remove it. From What I’ve read it does not give the meat a different taste by doing so but removes the residual blood that was left from me not properly aging my venison. I can cut my meat with a fork it’s so soft.

I’d like to get one of those toys above in Lloyd’s post above to try instead one of these days.

Banned

I do two passes once through and then once at 90 degrees from the first cut. I never measured what it would take but id guess somewhere between 3/4s and 1 inch anyway and you can push even bigger pieces in with a wooden dowel. Once they get grabbed by the teeth they feed through just fine. Biggest advantage is you an take something like the football roast and slice it whole without cutting the connecting tissue in the meat out and run them through twice and still cut them with a fork. That and im a bit different then you I guess. I could eat chicken fried stake once a week! Meat put through it also allows you to even cook it on the grill like back straps and it doesn't get tough like hind quarter steaks tend to normally do on a grill. Even if your just frying or grilling the other big advantage is they cook twice as fast. Anymore other then back straps all my venison steak is put through the cuber. No advantage in not doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    The one I have will do 1.25" , and I wouldn't run it more than once, there are a bunch of slices in just one pass. This thing is a beast, I just don't do this type of steaks, otherwise I would use it more often. I may change my mind once I cook the ones I did, but I doubt it as I am not a fan of chicken fried anything, though I've never tried a venison steak done that way.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    You have to be real careful cleaning that thing - anything on those blades gets driven deep into your meat.
    Disassembles very easily and Stainless blades cleans up very easy. Just a sprayer on your kitchen sink gets all the meat off and a swish in the soapy water and its good to go. Wish the grinder was near as easy to clean as this thing.

Banned
    Antique technology but functional

Name:	tenderizer.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	254851

This will tenderize anything including your finger or hand if you happen to miss your target. Disassembles easily for cleanup and not to bad for something over 100years old.

Moderator Emeritus

MOST sadly I do not get enough venison to justify the expense of a commercial type crank unit, although I drool at a few in the LEM catalog ... However, a few years ago my younger son served an awesomely tender and delicious (deer) steak dinner -- his "secret tool" was one purveyed on Amazon for nineteen or so dollars! I recall the second thing I did upon returning home was ordering one, and my wife and I have been MOST happy with its effects -- using it on beef steaks, etc., as well! That is goes in dishwasher is a bonus, too, as the many super-sharp blades which go into meat to do the tenderizing are incredibly sharp. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meat tenderizer.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	254852
    What we (happily) use!
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Antique technology but functional

Name:	tenderizer.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	254851

This will tenderize anything including your finger or hand if you happen to miss your target. Disassembles easily for cleanup and not to bad for something over 100years old.

I have one that looks like a Hammer if Thor.

I go with georgerkahn. The Xspecial or the very similar and older Jaccard do a great job of tenderizing meat without leaving it looking like it was run over by a tank. If you're going to bread and fry it, any of them will do the job, but if you want to blacken or grill, the Jaccard or Xspecial leave it looking like a steak. They are especially effective on whole tenderloins, as the blades cut across the grain instead of with it, as on steaks.