Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38-44 marked 310 tool

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Please, I would really like to see a picture of this 38-44 tool. A couple of the things said don't quite line up. Like if it is a #3 and not a #10. Also what markings are on it? Ideal New Haven or Ideal Middlefield?
    Someone mentioned a hole for the swing hook, that's for a #10 only. That tool is for rimless cases, the #3 for rimmed cases.
    Ken
    Wrong post Pressman , that was posted about the .455 tool . Am I incorrect in thinking that the #10 has only two holes and the #3 has three ? The only tool I am aware of with the hook was the #10 with one station for the die and one for priming with the hook or later the sliding steel plate being used when loading rimless cases . Am I wrong ? Look at the page for #10 and #3 on the site below , if I am misunderstanding something please correct me as I am always ready to learn .

http://www.wawyckoff.com/IdealTools/Index.html
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 01-12-2020 at 09:14 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Wrong post Pressman , that was posted about the .455 tool . Am I incorrect in thinking that the #10 has only two holes and the #3 has three ? The only tool I am aware of with the hook was the #10 with one station for the die and one for priming with the hook or later the sliding steel plate being used when loading rimless cases . Am I wrong ? Look at the page for #10 and #3 on the site below , if I am misunderstanding something please correct me as I am always ready to learn .

http://www.wawyckoff.com/IdealTools/Index.html
    Nice link and interesting info..!

I sadly still have not wrapped my head around the old Hand Loaders and their various parts, and various versions, even though I have a few I got years back, I have never used them to find out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Unfortunately we got two threads, covering two similar but different tools, going just about simultaneously. The one with pictures showed a late, plum colored tool with only one hole, while the other thread had no picture of the earlier two-hole tool. I’m having a hard time keeping the discussions straight too!

I believe the earlier, two hole tool is for a 455, and the later, single hole unit is marked 38-40, right?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

There was an early looking IDEAL Nickel Plate Hand Loader for .41 Short Center Fire on ebay, which ended earlier this evening...anyone here get that one?

That would have to be a mighty seldom seen one I'd expect.

Banned
    Not me sad to say.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Unfortunately we got two threads, covering two similar but different tools, going just about simultaneously. The one with pictures showed a late, plum colored tool with only one hole, while the other thread had no picture of the earlier two-hole tool. I’m having a hard time keeping the discussions straight too!

I believe the earlier, two hole tool is for a 455, and the later, single hole unit is marked 38-40, right?

Froggie
    About everything but one froggie , it's marked 38-44 not 38-40 . If it was 38-40 there would have been no thread .

Boolit Grand Master
    My bad. My fingers were moving faster than my brain. I knew we were talking about the 38-44, since they were such oddities we were discussing.

You're right, 38-40 wouldn't stir up anywhere near the interest the 38-44 did, although I did start a popular thread a year or so ago about a beautiful set of 44-40 handles, but that was exciting due to condition, not rarity of the caliber!

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 01-16-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Boolit Master

Actually wouldn't mind having a set of 38-40 handles , I have the dies already . Really wish Ruger would make a 38-40 Flattop with a 4 5/8" barrel .

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, the only 38-40 SA I know for sure that they made was the Buckeye combo in 38-40 and 10 mm. They're tough to find.

Froggie

Well you could pick up most any Ruger Blackhawk and swap in a barrel and cylinder to make it a 38-40. May not be a flat top.
    Leo

Boolit Master

Cylinder would not be an issue as they can be reamed . Wonder if Jes could do a rebore on a .357 mag barrel to .40 cal? 38-40 clones were listed everywhere a few years ago but they seem to have about dried up .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 01-16-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Banned
    Ruger website is showing several Blackhawk's in 10mm/40S&W. Wouldn't be to hard to get a spare cylinder from Ruger and re-chamber to 38-40.
    You would end up with a convertriple.

Boolit Master

I'll check it out . Thanks .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12