RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone excited about the new Ruger model 57?

Is anyone excited about the new Ruger model 57?

I have some experience with an FN five-seven pistol and I was underwhelmed. Let's hope Ruger gets it right for those that want a 20 shot pseudo 22 magnum pistol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The FN five-seven seemed to have proved pretty effective at the base shooting. As much as I hate to use that as an example.

Boolit Buddy
    My LGS got a couple in from Davidson’s.

They put one out on the counter for guys to monkey finger:

And one on the range for guys to shoot:

I ran 50 rounds of the AE 5.7 through it and found that the trigger pull was excellent.

The sights are adjustable and easy to see and accuracy is pretty good at 15 yards with the AE ammo.

The counter guy and I spent a minute or so trying to break it down but it appears that there is the necessity to “push” the take down lever from right to left to unlock and the pin was tight and we didn’t want to mar the finish fumbling with it.

The extractor is located at the 1 O’clock position (from the shooters perspective) and the gun throws the brass practically straight up. Not really an issue but I figured I’d point that out.

The barrel diameter is what I would call “thin” (for those interested in threading for suppressor) but I believe it’s a little more robust than the FN product and the FN barrels are easily threaded.

For those interested in the barrel diameter of the Ruger, I balanced a fired round on the muzzle to give some scale.

My impression of the firearm was favorable; it’s light, points well, has adjustable sights that are robust and easy to see, has steel high cap mags (Ruger says they’re 20 rounders but I got 22 in the one I fired) that are easily loaded with thumb pressure.

My one criticism is that I found the grip to be somewhat thin and it felt a little odd in my hand till I got used to it.

My LGS has them marked at $659.00 and I believe they will sell fairly briskly at that price.

Street price in other areas may be lower depending on availability.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens to the price of the FN product once the Rugers hit the shelves in large numbers.

Boolit Master

if I was to get one, I wish it would come threaded. Muzzle blast on the little sucker is obnoxious. my 22 suppressors are rated for 5.7 anyway.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    The FN five-seven seemed to have proved pretty effective at the base shooting. As much as I hate to use that as an example.
    That was there very first thing that I thought of. I hadn't heard of the round prior to that shooting.

ATCDoktor- thanks for the first hand report! The price(1/2 of the FN) should help. My problem with the FiveseveN that my nephew owns is the mushy trigger, tall sight picture, lackluster accuracy and reliability. Granted, he doesn't clean it after every outing, but I dont clean my handguns unless they NEED it- and they work. Also- not the guns fault but several boxes of FN ammo have been seriously weak. You could blame it on metal building Texas heat storage, but that doesn't affect even rimfire ammo here.
    I guess I was hoping for a "20 shot .22 Hornet" like it was hyped up to be. NOT.
    With good ammo in an accurate pistol, it would be neat.
    I know the intent was not there but the memories of the Fort Hood shooting are still raw around here, so sad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    "Is anyone excited about the new Ruger model 57?"

I'm not even remotely excited.

I have an acquaintance that has the FN 57 and not only is it a butz ugly gun but reloading for it is a pita, or at least was initially till he got the "coating" off the cases. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing he can do with his 5.7 that I can't do with my 22 TCM. However, to each his own.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    I yawned a lot when I saw the announcement. What's it for, anyway?
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not know much about the caliber. If it is more effective than the 9mm that would make it interesting. My Glock already has plenty of magazine capacity so that is not a decision driver.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Is anyone excited about the new Ruger model 57?

No, not really.

When the cartridge first came out, people around the world said, "Oh, that's nice." A tiny percentage of people bought them.

And the rest of the people already understood that sometimes, the latest and greatest does nothing different than what they already have.

Boolit Grand Master

The 5.7x28 is definitely more than the 22 magnum, about 500 fps more. I don't consider either even close to a 9mm luger, maybe close to 32 acp.

This is all speculation. I'm always curious, but never had any desire to actually buy one. The closest Ruger 9mm pistol to the 57 as far as size I see is the American. It's a bit heavier at around 30 ounces, vs the 25 ounces of the 57. The American is also narrower at 1.05" vs the 57 at 1.2". The 57 holds 20+1 of 5.7x28, the American holds 17+1 of 9mm luger.

I consider 12 rounds adequate for concealed carry. I wouldn't even bother carrying a reload with either of those pistols.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-10-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Yeahs I am.
    Will be purchasing one as soon as practical.
    And yes I do have 22tcm, a ria and Glock 17 conversion barrel.

Boolit Master
    Not my thing at all I don't like the direction Ruger is going in myself.

Boolit Master
    I am glad to see it the more models of guns and equipment the better . That said I probably won't buy one I would rather reload cases that don't need lube.

Boolit Master
    I could never figure out what FN was thinking...fixed sights, funky safety and an astronomical price.... That said, besides the .38 Super it is the South of the Border handgun caliber of choice...

Not sure if I will pick one up or not...would be a nice anti-carjacking gun but I already have a G40/10mm for that role...

At 1700 fps it is 300 fps faster than a .22 Magnum out of a KelTec and 300 fps slower than a .22 TCM...

I do think it will sell well especially if some more of the ammo companies come up with some more rounds...

Bob

Boolit Master
    No, I have no use for it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    No, I have no use for it.
    Ditto.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    On a website devoted to casters & serious reloaders,, I'd expect the interest to be lacking.

I too feel it's not a gun I may get excited about.

BUT,, I have been asking others what their thoughts are,, & I was surprised at the general public interests in this one.

Many of us are older,, set in our ways, preferring blue steel, smoke, lead boolits, etc,, as compared to the modern whiz-bang shell shuckers pushed by the movies & LEO's all over. BUT,, we have to face the facts that there are younger shooters,, more attuned to the "black, plastic & tactical" designs so prevalent today. If that type of firearm were not popular & selling,, gun makers wouldn't be in business.

So,, while many of us,, myself included,, fail to get excited about this gun,, open our minds a little & look at the future gun lovers around us.

Boolit Mold
    Exactly.
    Were Ruger to sit on their butts and ignore market trends like modern pistols and what their customers and public want, they would soon be out of buisness.
    Like it or not, blued steel sixguns do not tighten the collective jeans of the buying public any longer.
    And since every other Ruger revolver is a turd anyway, may as well try something new.
    I already have dies and shellholders coming for this tiny cartridge and even a bag of used brass in my range pickup stash.

I am also 100% convinced that their and s&w two peice revolver barrels are the way to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Sturm, Ruger & Company built their business by driving the public's interest, not reacting to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast