MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: 45 Colt Cowboy Loads

Boolit Buddy

45 Colt Cowboy Loads

Does lead hardness matter significantly if one was going to assemble 45 Colt cowboy loads under 850 FPS using a Lyman 454190 bullet? I have a random mix of probably 50% wheel weights and scrap lead, and was wondering whether this would work ok or whether only very soft lead should used. These will be used in a repro .44 cal Remington 1858 and a .45 Colt conversion cylinder. Appreciate any comments, particularly if there is another bullet I should consider. Thanks.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bullet design and alloy you have will work just fine.

6 grains of Bullseye is a mild and accurate cowboy load. Factory velocity is approximated by 6.5 grains of the same.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    As Outpost75 said, you are GTG. Bullet size in relation to your throats and barrel are more important than bullet hardness.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

In my Colts, I size that bullet to .454. It is cast with wheel weight material and it doesn’t matter if you water quench or not. Truthfully, a 200 grain bullet is softer shooting for faster recovery as nobody I know shoots 250 gr. 45 colt in cowboy action.

FWIW my Cimmaron (Uberti) Pistolero .45 Colt picked up at LGS today has cylinder gap pass 0.005/hold 0.006", the barrel slugs .442 bore and .452 groove, and the cylinder throats are uniform .455, just like my 1920 New Servcice Colt so my plan is to use soft Accurate 45-264H boolits sized .454" (normal tolerance is + 0.002 so these actually drop .454ish from the mold) lubed with Lee Liquid Alox, with 6 grains of Bullseye for ringing steel and playing at being a cowboy.

Attachment 254563
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Were I to desire a fine hunting boolit ... your Lyman would do the trick running around 850 FPS.

For easy shooting and all day fun ... a 185 to 200 gr boolit at around 650 to 750 FPS.

Trail Boss powder works the absolute best for these lite low power loads. I have very good results with it in the huge Colt case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    FWIW my Cimmaron (Uberti) Pistolero .45 Colt picked up at LGS today has cylinder gap pass 0.005/hold 0.006", the barrel slugs .442 bore and .452 groove, and the cylinder throats are uniform .455...
    Outpost75,

I'm surprised that the throats on your Uberti are so large. I have a Pietta on the way to me, and I was not expecting the Italians to do something like that. No problem if that's the case, as I cast .455" bullets to use in my Model 25's.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Were I to desire a fine hunting boolit ... your Lyman would do the trick running around 850 FPS.

For easy shooting and all day fun ... a 185 to 200 gr boolit at around 650 to 750 FPS.

Trail Boss powder works the absolute best for these lite low power loads. I have very good results with it in the huge Colt case.
    Suggestions on a 185-200 grain bullet? I see a 45467 and 454148 in my old Lyman cast bullets manual.

Lee #'s 45-160 and 45-200 boolit molds as well as 'Accurate Molds' having many choices in .452 as well as .454 or .455 inch boolit molds ... in addition to the luxuries of choosing a diameter and custom style to fit your needs. I am in no way affiliated with Tom @ Accurate ... only having found that he is great to work with and does a gangbuster job on all molds I have ordered from him. Expedient delivery and good prices to boot with choices of Aluminum, brass or steel mold material. I had him make me a custom mold for my 43 Spanish that is a thing of beauty.

Anyway I am sure Lyman or RCBS or Buffalo Arms have boolit molds to fit your needs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Outpost75,

I'm surprised that the throats on your Uberti are so large. I have a Pietta on the way to me, and I was not expecting the Italians to do something like that. No problem if that's the case, as I cast .455" bullets to use in my Model 25's.

Don
    I was REAL happy with the .455 throats, because that means I didn't have to send the cylinder to DougGuy to be reamed and the gun can then use the same ammo as my 1920 Colt.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, I picked up an orphan 45-200-S Ohaus mold here on the forum, and after some first aid cast some nice Boolits this morning. I was not looking for a semi wad cutter for 45 Colt, but the mold casts great with a weight of about 210gr with all the bands measuring .454 or a bit bigger. Unfortunately I can’t find any loads for this weight Boolit, only lighter or heavier. I do see some 45 ACP loads for the Lyman 452460 SWC bullet from 3.5 - 4.1 grains of Bullseye. Anyone using these SWC Boolits in a 45 Colt? Attachment 254885

Quote Originally Posted by Jkrem View Post
    Ok, I picked up an orphan 45-200-S Ohaus mold here on the forum, and after some first aid cast some nice Boolits this morning. I was not looking for a semi wad cutter for 45 Colt, but the mold casts great with a weight of about 210gr with all the bands measuring .454 or a bit bigger. Unfortunately I can’t find any loads for this weight Boolit, only lighter or heavier. I do see some 45 ACP loads for the Lyman 452460 SWC bullet from 3.5 - 4.1 grains of Bullseye. Anyone using these SWC Boolits in a 45 Colt? Attachment 254885
    If it were me ... I would dig out the Unique powder (yep I really do like Unique) and proceed to load those over 6 grains to begin with and build up to as much as 8.5 grains ... watching cases and primers for pressure signs and the target for best accuracy.

Again ... for target work or small game ... 650 to 750 FPS will get you there in spades.

Another good 45 Colt powder is "Trail Boss". This is easy to meter, good load density and gives great low power loads that have been very accurate in every 45 Colt I have ever loaded it in.

All in all the low velocity Colt loads are a hoot to shoot and ... I never seem to bring enough with me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR
    Outpost75,

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I was REAL happy with the .455 throats, because that means I didn't have to send the cylinder to DougGuy to be reamed and the gun can then use the same ammo as my 1920 Colt.
    Well, my Pietta arrived. Buying a .45 Colt is like buying a box of chocolates; you never know what you will get in regards to throat size. Mine has correct size throats.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Very informative.

I would check for starting loads for the 200 grain bullet and you will be fine. Bullseye, 700x @ 4.8 grains, red dot, 231 would be my suggestions. Seat the bullet below the last driving band and crimp. I’d you are truely making cowboy loads, you want light recoil consistent loads that make enough pressure to expand the case enough so they don’t get sooty. Unique doesn’t do that unless close to full power.