RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: What is bore and groove diameter for 45 caliber muzzleloader?

Question What is bore and groove diameter for 45 caliber muzzleloader?

Thinking too much without alcohol.... BUT...

For the T/C current Contender or Encore 45 caliber barrel, what is the bore and groove diameter? Idly considering using a 446 or so mould to cast bullets in a non-maxiball or minie design.

Next unhappy thought is the twist for the 45... But we'll get to the downer side of that later. Buzzkill, as it were...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Got me............. I thought only .50 cal frontstuffer barrels were made for Encore's.

Boolit Master
    When in doubt measure it!

The standard modern 45 caliber rifle bore diameter is about .450".

The grooves should be between .003" and .005" deep for an average of .004" (also a more or less modern standard for that type gun). Therefore (given the higher math required ) the groove diameter will be .450" + .008" = .458".

The twist can be anything. Measure it.

As to whether some kind of conical will shoot well or not in that particular gun? Shoot it and report results.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    just get a 45-70 barrel and breech plug it. plenty of guys around who do it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    just get a 45-70 barrel and breech plug it. plenty of guys around who do it
    Explain how that type of simple ML barrel (that any number of guys out there do?) would be fit into a T/C Contender or Encore frame?

On the other hand the OP seems to be just throwing "stuff" out there with little or no fore thought or real idea behind it. As in the other thread about converting one of the T/Cs inlines into a cartridge gun. It seems mostly like a lot of nonsense and makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    It seems mostly like a lot of nonsense and makes no sense to me.
    No harm, no foul. Perhaps someone else will look at a T/C or other in-line and either come up with another approach, or know from a discussion that for various reasons, it won't work.

Never hurts to raise something and see if it hasn't been considered before.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    My mentor told me the only way to accurately measure a barrel was by slugging with a soft lead bullet or ball. Before you do this make sure to have a means to get the slug out usually by using a CO2 shooter. I have two, one from a gun shop and the other from a bicycle shop that is used to pump up tires. Either one will work well and make sure to catch the projectile in a towel or something similar so as not to deform it.

Once the projectile is out it can be mic'd to get the actual dimensions.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Explain how that type of simple ML barrel (that any number of guys out there do?) would be fit into a T/C Contender or Encore frame?

On the other hand the OP seems to be just throwing "stuff" out there with little or no fore thought or real idea behind it. As in the other thread about converting one of the T/Cs inlines into a cartridge gun. It seems mostly like a lot of nonsense and makes no sense to me.
    an encore 45-70 barrel is available from TC. A quick search on most of the inline muzzleloader forums will show a step by step pictorial of how several aftermarket barrels were made and fitted to almost any similar style break action frame. another method is to use the existing barrel stub, and thread in the new barrel. Barrels have even been made to match knight actions and fitted with knight bolts and stocks. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007-2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	132332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019-9.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	132333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006-5.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	132334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008-11.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	132335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009-9.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	132336

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    My mentor told me the only way to accurately measure a barrel was by slugging with a soft lead bullet or ball. Before you do this make sure to have a means to get the slug out usually by using a CO2 shooter. I have two, one from a gun shop and the other from a bicycle shop that is used to pump up tires. Either one will work well and make sure to catch the projectile in a towel or something similar so as not to deform it.

Once the projectile is out it can be mic'd to get the actual dimensions.
    Just out of interest how far do you drive it in before giving it the CO2 treatment.

I always put a blanket over the muzzle when using the CO2 expeller, it sends the ball out at a rate of knots so be careful where you point the gun it if using one.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    another method is to use the existing barrel stub, and thread in the new barrel.
    Idly wondering on if the dimensions would allow a screw in liner that uses the muzzleloader breech plug threads to hold the liner in. The cut for the extractor would allow a drive key to provide torque needed to screw in or out the barrel liner. Therefore giving one a fairly easy way to switch calibers inside the same barrel housing / lug.

Yes, this does limit cartridges some, but cartridges on the .383 or so case head might be possible.

Would this appeal to anyone with a bunch of T/C Contender scoped barrels? Now instead of scopes and lugs banging around, you screw in or unscrew liners at will, leaving the scope and forend on.... Now you have a number of threaded liners to slip into the barrel holder. Done.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    I have slugged all my muzzle loaders and except for two of them, the bore opened up slightly after about 7 or 8 inches. My Pedersoli Gibbs had some choke in for 6 inches, my home made slug gun with the Green Mountain barrel was choked to 8 inches and the three Hawken rifles I got from Doug Knoell had a slight taper all the way to the patent breech. I found I could feel the resistance of the bullet change on each gun.

Boolit Master

Didn't understand any of it either.��

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ohland View Post
    Idly wondering on if the dimensions would allow a screw in liner that uses the muzzleloader breech plug threads to hold the liner in. The cut for the extractor would allow a drive key to provide torque needed to screw in or out the barrel liner. Therefore giving one a fairly easy way to switch calibers inside the same barrel housing / lug.

Yes, this does limit cartridges some, but cartridges on the .383 or so case head might be possible.

Would this appeal to anyone with a bunch of T/C Contender scoped barrels? Now instead of scopes and lugs banging around, you screw in or unscrew liners at will, leaving the scope and forend on.... Now you have a number of threaded liners to slip into the barrel holder. Done.
    I had a Contender in the old days. Back then barrels were relatively inexpensive. These days not so much.

With Contender barrels you can swap with a pin and it maintains POI with the sights.

Threaded? So, now you have to pay a gunsmith to contour a barrel and cut a custom thread, which weakens the assembly a bit. That may require a reduction in safe pressures. And, every time you swap a barrel it needs to be sighted in again, and headspaced (not a huge deal, but, still a pain).

Making a contender barrel is not easy, but, not that hard either. Takes someone with good TIG skills who is also good with a milling machine. The gunsmith I used to use would make contender barrels. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago.

If you want a change barrel rifle then why not buy a Savage or similar with easily replaceable barrels and bolt faces?