MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Anyone breeched a Mauser to be just like Rem 700 M/L??

Boolit Master

Anyone breeched a Mauser to be just like Rem 700 M/L??

Has anyone breeched (barrelled) a mauser to be a muzzle loader like the Rem. 700 muzzle loader?
    Anyone have a drawing of the breech end?
    Any one used the (45acp) clone of that primer system?
    How does one feed a 45acp clone primer in a long action like 700 or mauser?
    How do you extract it?
    Anybody??

Boolit Master
    I have plenty of spare Mausers , and the thought once or twice crossed my mind.
    The thing holding me back was , I prefer the Traditional ML rifles over any of the inline modern stuff.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Its been done, there's a few write up on other forums, but since photobucket got greedy there's no images anymore. search Mauser muzzleloader for some links

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I posted this before on HV muzzle loader 3800 fps. Not a mauser action but BAT...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_9OGOMMytc
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Use a shotgun primer ( 209) and a modified extractor could possibly be made to work. The ejector will be the issue with it. With a shotgun primer a simple slot to get under the cut would allow a small tool to remove it. Another easy route would be a cut down 45 case to hold the primer then the standard extractor ejector would work

I once considered a bolt action rebarreled to .45ACP. The rifling rate of twist for a .45ACP long arm could be excellent for muzzleloading heavy boolits, paper patched or lubed lead. What I looked at doing was using unsized and reprimed cases for the ignition system when muzzleloading. And if I wanted to, the cases could be made from .308/30-06 cases to use mag rifle primers for cleaner burns. The only down side of the idea was that I'd have a .442" bore diameter. To load lubed lead it would need .440" diameter boolits. There just aren't a lot of off the shelf .440" diameter molds to play with. If paper patching boolits I'd need about .433"-.434", somewhere in that neighborhood. Again, not much out there. That said, if you go that route how many molds do you need? And why not just get what you want for paper patching by running a 7/16" drill bit into an old set of Lee mold blocks?

So, I rolled all that around and decided I'd just be happy with my sidelock .458" bore diameter rifle. It lets me shoot lubed lead off the shelf 45-70 molds. Or they can be paper patched and run through a .457" sizer. Or I can paper patch .452"-.454" boolit molds.

But golly I'd still love to have .45ACP bolt gun!
    Especially one that I could load to 45-120 x 3 1/4" Sharps performance.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 01-13-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    When using .45acp brass do you have to load the primed case and then add powder? If so the safety system on the Mauser seems like it is made for this application.

You would put the case in and then muzzle load the powder and boolit.
    The technique was discussed in one of Paul Matthews books using a 45-70, a single shot.

A means of cranking a bolt action handle up a bit after seating the case could be worked out.
    .45ACP bolt gun would surely be more attractive to me.

Boolit Master
    the rem 700 gun used a 45acp (or similar) case as the primer.
    my questions on this & the mauser is:
    how would you finger-handle the priming case up into the butt end of the barrel?
    the mauser bolt face extends nearly a inch up into receiver when closed. how do you finger handle a 45acp case way up into the receiver?
    I will not accept any sort of tools needed to do this, carrying extra tools just to load it negates all other good properties of the project.

A bit of work, but you could shorten the bolt and have the breech end of the barrel extend farther back over the magazine well.
    As a ML, you won't need the forward bolt lug anyway.
    Speaking of the magazine, I think it would be a nice place to keep pre-measured charges and projectiles. Simply roll the rifle over, pop the floorplate open and pick out what is needed.
    This is a project I've wanted to do as well.

Boolit Master
    I also been thinking of shorten the bolt, extend the breechplug rearward as you mention.
    But, how much strength of lockup do you need?
    Is the 3rd lug of the mauser enough?
    When using a shotgun 209 primer, how much breech pressure is there on the bolt anyway?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the Rem700 and the inlines have very little in the means of actually locking the bolt.
    What other rifles are existing to show an example of the strength of lockup required?

Boolit Grand Master

Savage used a small insert on theirs I believe. Would take some work to do but boring the bolt out to around .700 dia. turn the barrel stub to match. shorten firing pin and fit a longer ejector. This will extend barrel back to where it can be easily loaded, with the stub the bolt closes over it maintaining the front locking lugs. A new breech face for the bolt will need to be fitted recessed to match the barrel tenon and the firing pin and spring shortened. Making this tenon screw in would also allow removal for cleaning.

Im not sure on actual sizes to work with so whats above is estimates. But extending the breech plug and modifying the bolt would help the loading problem. That or find one of the rear locking actions

I considered making a muzzleloader by combining a .22 Rimfire single shot bolt action with a muzzleloader barrel. The rear of the ML barrel would be chambered for .22 blanks with a long flash hole to the combustion chamber. The daydream faded when, like Lags said- I realized I preferred traditional muzzleloader types.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    I also been thinking of shorten the bolt, extend the breechplug rearward as you mention.
    But, how much strength of lockup do you need?
    Is the 3rd lug of the mauser enough?
    When using a shotgun 209 primer, how much breech pressure is there on the bolt anyway?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the Rem700 and the inlines have very little in the means of actually locking the bolt.
    What other rifles are existing to show an example of the strength of lockup required?
    Most of your questions have answers under the smokeless muzzloaders here http://dougsmessageboards.proboards....ess-tips-links

Out of the different 209 primer options I much prefer the design of the original Henry Ball smokeless muzzleloaders. The short live Savage ML is the best model to compare. This is not the second version which is the Savage MLII. The reason the original only lasted a year was with a barrel change is would become a centerfire rifle. After initially giving Savage the go ahead tha ATF changed courses and required a 4473 transfer on the original design.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primer mod.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	254800
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/interview_ball.htm

For purchasing things like breech plugs I highly recommend https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/

This design is for smokeless but works great with BP. To deal with the smokeless pressures the breech plugs use a vent liner.

https://www.lehighbullets.com/produc...-breech-plugs/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-13-2020 at 11:17 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    an alternative is a module like this, available from several sources, and made to fit .308, magnum, .223, or .45/70 bolt heads, with a BP to suit. These take lrm primers and are proven leakproof.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	254883