Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Paper patching lead .308 for mosin

Boolit Master

Paper patching lead .308 for mosin

Lags sent me some Chinese 7.62x54r brass. Was looking threw my stuff & I found some .308 cast bullets I cast long ago & paper patch
    them & sized to .311. Guess what the Mosin I,m working up loads for is .311 slugged barrel. How many have paper patched a 7.62x54r
    bullet. How fast could you push it?

Fly

Boolit Master
    I haven't done any PP for a good while but would like to work with it again if I ever get time. I did find the notes I did for the 91/30 I worked with.

I mostly used the Lee mold for the 303 Brit, mine pours at almost .314 and weighs about 180 with WW. The bullet was sized to .308 with a GC, patched back to .314 and lubed with LLA. With 40 grs, of IMR 4064 and a little tuft of dacron I got about 2290 fps. The same load with a jacketed bullet was 2140 fps. Groups were running about 3-3 1/2"

Hope it helps
    Dave

I powder coated .309 180 grain bullets, and paper patched to .312. I was able to push them to 2,400 FPS using Reloader-15 with no problems and no leading.They shot OK, not match, but minute-of-man.

Boolit Master
    I paper patched various .30 cal cast for the 7.62x54R and up to .325 for 8x57. I used Reloader 15 in both and got god results. No chrono data, but they hit the target where the factory sights say they should. Best results were in a Finn M-27 putting them into 2.5" at 100 yards, plenty good for hunting. The 8x57 did almost as well, and this was using an old Hensley and Gibbs mold to cast a 173gr spritzer. Two wraps of .004" cover wrapper for copy paper would bring a .310 cast up to .325. The wraps would support that long ogive and they would shoot! IIRC, the load was 46gr in both of them.