RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench height? For use w/ bar stool seat?

Boolit Mold
    I don't know if this helps, but it helped me a lot when I was running a factory.

https://content.statefundca.com/safe...Guidelines.asp

Boolit Mold
    Forgot to mention Home Depot sell a decent hand brand adjustable height work bench.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62...DB12/301810799

I generally recommend setting the height of the bench so that the ball/handle is shoulder height. This reduces reaching up or bending to operate the handle. I set my bench for standing height, and use adjustable stool for sitting.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

I like to stand for some presses/operations and sit for others. Sizing brass and bullets, definitely prefer to stand, leaning on it. Final assembly like to sit and look more closely. As such I like the table to be pretty high. This allows both modes perfectly. Getting the press up makes your neck and eyes relax and if the press is too high to press hard, then stand up which is more ergo for that amount of effort anyway.

Oh so mine is approx kitchen bar height and I’m a tall person. I made it an island though and it has presses on 4 sides

Boolit Master
    The top of a standard cabinet countertop is 36" above the floor and 24" to the back wall. I would suggest building a workbench to fit whoever will be using it. If you have your press set it on a countertop and lower the press handle all the way down and measure at what height the the press needs to be set to have a comfortable stroke.

I'm 5'11 also and I just rebuilt my bench top. I don't know the exact height but I can post it later. I like to stand and sit on a stool. I built the bench at the best standing height and then cut my stool down to where it felt good to sit at. I used the tall wood stool commonly sold at Sams and such had to take off about six inches.

Boolit Bub
    I would have to check to see my bench height, but I'd reiterate what several other guys have said in that it will depend on your height and how tall your stool is.

Mine is about right for me to stand or sit on a stool, though I find I stand more often than not. I can move around depending on what I'm doing. But I'm either using a single stage press or a Lee Loadmaster (no bullet feeder, I do that on my own), so I tend to reposition fairly frequently.

Boolit Bub

I elected to go with one the same height as my workbench in the garage. Decided it was better to have it match so if I later want to move it, I won't have benches of two heights.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
    I elected to go with one the same height as my workbench in the garage. Decided it was better to have it match so if I later want to move it, I won't have benches of two heights.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
    Good choice …
    You can always add a simple wooden riser to raise the press to operate standing.
    Here's a pic of a simple wooden box riser made of scrap 2x6/2x8 under my drill press.

You could make it tall enough to clear the press linkage, allowing you to move it back, off the edge of the bench.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WoodenRiser.jpg  
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Good choice …
    You can always add a simple wooden riser to raise the press to operate standing.
    Here's a pic of a simple wooden box riser made of scrap 2x6/2x8 under my drill press.

You could make it tall enough to clear the press linkage, allowing you to move it back, off the edge of the bench.
    I like that. When I drilled the holes for the press bolts, found out that one of the 6 inch bolts was too long ... as it went only through plywood surface vs plywood and 2x4 frame. Easily solved by a short section of 2x4 added as a “sister” along the frame!

Boolit Master
    I like that. When I drilled the holes for the press bolts, found out that one of the 6 inch bolts was too long ... as it went only through plywood surface vs plywood and 2x4 frame. Easily solved by a short section of 2x4 added as a “sister” along the frame!
    Sounds like you have already built your bench.
    Post a pic when you have enough posts to post a pic
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Bub

Sounds like you have already built your bench.
    Post a pic when you have enough posts to post a pic
    Just don’t judge me on my messy basement! After 10 military moves, and last one at retirement in 2009 ... still haven’t unpacked everything!

I had partial sheet of 3/4 plywood so that’s what drove the size. 24inch deep and about 30 or so wide.

Boolit Master
    Just don’t judge me on my messy basement! After 10 military moves, and last one at retirement in 2009 ... still haven’t unpacked everything!

I had partial sheet of 3/4 plywood so that’s what drove the size. 24inch deep and about 30 or so wide.

That looks like it oughta work great , and it looks like it would be easy to add a shelf to stack your boolits on

Boolit Master

Nice how tall is it?
    your prior post motivated me to go out in the garage build this. it's 2x4 made scraps gleaned from scrap piles around the neighborhood, so twisted/bowed/blem'ed 2x4's, 34" tall:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2x4S.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	255385
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-25-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Boolit Bub

Nice how tall is it?
    your prior post motivated me to go out in the garage build this. it's 2x4 made scraps gleaned from scrap piles around the neighborhood, so twisted/bowed/blem'ed 2x4's, 34" tall:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2x4S.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	255385
    Nice! Mine is 35.75 inches tall, 24 inches deep, and 31 inches wide. The 24x31 was determined by a scrap piece of plywood I had sitting in the garage.

FYI, I put a single crossmember (not sure what you call it in carpentry world) from front to rear of the frame for both the top surface and bottom frame. My thinking was that it makes it more sturdy and, especially for the top, will "bounce" less if I hammer stuff on it.

Super Moderator

My bench is made of cabinets/shelves below, with a 30"x96" Solid Core door slab as the bench top. I designed it to use both standing or sitting on a bar stool. The bench top is 39" tall. Plenty of space for up to 8 presses or other equipment such as lubesizers and other bench mounted tools. Currently I have 2 Dillon 550's, a Rockchucker, Lam II, Uniflow measure, RCBS bench mounted priming tool, and Dillon Super Swage 600. I interchange some of my bench mounted tools by mounting them on a piece of 1x pine board and clamping them to the bench with C- Clamps. This makes it easy to change things around if need be. Also plenty of storage space below for reloading gear.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    My bench is made of cabinets/shelves below, with a 30"x96" Solid Core door slab as the bench top. I designed it to use both standing or sitting on a bar stool. The bench top is 39" tall. Plenty of space for up to 8 presses or other equipment such as lubesizers and other bench mounted tools. Currently I have 2 Dillon 550's, a Rockchucker, Lam II, Uniflow measure, RCBS bench mounted priming tool, and Dillon Super Swage 600. I interchange some of my bench mounted tools by mounting them on a piece of 1x pine board and clamping them to the bench with C- Clamps. This makes it easy to change things around if need be. Also plenty of storage space below for reloading gear.
    That sounds deluxe! I'm just getting started, but when I do get a dedicated space, that would be a nice setup.

Boolit Master
    New to reloading. Bought single stage press and plan to build custom bench for my basement. Was wondering about height.

I will use a bar stool to sit on. Anyone have similar setup and could recommend a height? I’m 5-11 if that matter.

Thanks
    Frank
    Bar height. Works standing and sitting on a bar stool. I stand mostly.

I’d go 42”

Attachment 255516
    The seat on my tall wheeled swivel chair is 23 inches tall and my bench is 33 inches tall. I do all my reloading seated. I’m 6’4 with long legs. Works well for me. I use 4 of the 4 spring adjustable arm desk lights mounted above my bench on my shelving so they can be adjusted to point anywhere they are needed as I have 5 reloading presses set up on it and one more on a pedestal.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 01-27-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast