Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench height? For use w/ bar stool seat?

Boolit Bub

Bench height? For use w/ bar stool seat?

New to reloading. Bought single stage press and plan to build custom bench for my basement. Was wondering about height.

I will use a bar stool to sit on. Anyone have similar setup and could recommend a height? I’m 5-11 if that matter.

Thanks
    Frank

Boolit Master
    I have a bar stool at the Dillon, and it doesn’t have wheels, so it stays there. Also have old comfortable office chair with wheels, a lot more comfortable but not really tall enough for my big bench. Spend more time in the chair rolling around getting things done till it hits a spent primer on the floor.

Boolit Master

I stand mostly. Just not comfortable sitting. I have a stool there. My wife will sometimes sit with me. But I never do. I also like my benches 8-10” higher than most.
    Narrow so you can reach the back and tall works better for me.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

WHat might help is set it up temporary on a workmate or other small portable bench and experiment with heights, when you find what you like then you know what to build. Start at the workmates height and work from there. When it seems right build a block to mount and load a few rounds to see. Not just the press but measures scales and other accessories

Boolit Master
    I built my bench to be the same height as the kitchen counter tops. I then went to Amazon and found a doctors exam chair. The chair is adjustable height, and is on wheels. I can easily roll from one end of the bench to the other. If I remember right, the exam chair was priced at about $50? Might be higher now.

Correction. I think the counter top height is too high. I think I used the kitchen table height, which is the same height as the commercially made work bench out in the shop.
    Last edited by Froogal; 01-09-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    Bar stools are for use at counter tops that work when standing .
    If you notice in kitchens your counters are higher than a dinning table.
    For reloading my preference is to be able to see down into the case when the ram is at the bottom of the stroke.
    If you will work standing most of the time a counter top similar to a kitchen cabinet or island will work standing or a bar stool. If you want to sit , a lower bench top would more comfortable to use standard with chair heights .
    Your best bet would be to go into your kitchen or a portable table and do some mock ups to see what you prefer.
    Keeping in mind that with the press lever raised all the way it will be less tiring if your hand is below shoulder height while not having to stretch when the press handle is all the way down.
    Also a bench for sitting needs knee room a bench for standing does not.
    Take your time before building and consider any personal physical issues you may have that impact your repetitive range of motions , and comfort.
    There is not one bench height that is perfect for every one and every task.

Boolit Master
    A work bench needs to be the right height for the worker AND what he/she will be doing on it. Women are usually a bit shorter than men, kitchens are women's workshop. Kitchen counters for the average woman run about 34-36 inches off the floor. Most men need a bit more bench height than that for detail work, like about belly button high.

I like flexibility and I load both sitting and standing. I find that a loading bench about 40 inches is great for when I'm standing so I make 40" benches and found a swiveling (thrift shop) "bar stool" to let me work sitting at the same height.

My sad ol' injured back hates bending over everytime I depress a press leaver. To find what I needed I stacked books under both of my presses to raise them so can I fully depress the leavers without bending. One needs to be 2 1/2" higher than the bench top, the other needs to be a full 6" higher. I blocked each up as needed and cut lengths of 3/8" All-Thread to hold everything together.

I love loading on that bench!

Banned
    Height is a matter of what is comfortable for you to work at. Bar stools can be different heights as are counter heights. The benches in my garage are 39.5 in tall and my reloading table is 28.5 in high.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would make the bench high enough for you to stand and use the press.
    When I size brass, I find standing is better for the back.
    Bench height is what is comfortable for you.
    Your bench will probably be to high for me.
    Vertically challenged.
    And my bench will probably be to low for you.
    So play with the height until it fits you.

Boolit Bub
    You can also have a bench height that works for normal work, and put a elevated base mount on you press to get the height you want for that.

Banned
    I find kitchen counter tops to be a little low for me when standing. I would suggest that you select the stool you intend to use and then build the bench to a height that works for you. You should be able to stand up and sit down on the stool without having to "climb" onto it.
    Barstools tend to be high so that the bar top is a comfortable height for the bartender. Kitchen counter stools tend to be a bit shorter than real bar stools.

When it comes to building a bench, As cwlongshot stated - you don't want it too deep. You should be able to just reach the back of the bench but it doesn't need to be any deeper.
    As country gent stated, you may want to test the bench top height before committing to a design.

As for the bench itself - it needs to be bolted to the wall. I use a ledger board screwed to the studs with 3" deck screws. The ledger board has carriage bolts inserted from the back so that the threaded portion protrudes out from the wall. Those bolts line up with a corresponding board on the bench just below the top and drilled to accept the bolts. The bench is then secured with washers and nuts. This makes for a VERY stable bench but allows for it to be removed if needed.

When building the bench top, consider the design of the presses that you will mount on the top. Most presses require (or at least work better) with a lip that overhangs the bench frame by about an inch.

If bench top space is limited, you may want to consider removable mounts for less used equipment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I would make the bench high enough for you to stand and use the press.
    When I size brass, I find standing is better for the back.
    Bench height is what is comfortable for you.
    Your bench will probably be to high for me.
    Vertically challenged.
    And my bench will probably be to low for you.
    So play with the height until it fits you.
    Standing may be better for the back, but it sure is not very friendly to worn out hips and knees.

Boolit Master
    I found that age an how good of shape your back is in. When I was young it was 36" tall an I liked to stand .Now back surgeries an age has changed my bench height to 28 1/2 " tall sit in a office chair an relax when I reload. When you get tired you can lean back in the chair an rest .

Boolit Master
    My kitchen has a section where bar stool type chairs fit beneath for eating on the counter. The counter top is 36" above the floor and the stool seats are 29". Standing or sitting at the counter and visualizing reloading these heights seem okay to me, I'm 5'11" also, but I sit when I reload so can't speak from experience about your question.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a bench with a height of 39" and my bar stools are 30". This seems to work for me either standing or sitting.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The back experts say the correct height to work at is with your forearm flat on the counter top and your elbow forming 90* angle to your bicep. They note that most work surfaces are too low.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    WHat might help is set it up temporary on a workmate or other small portable bench and experiment with heights, when you find what you like then you know what to build. Start at the workmates height and work from there. When it seems right build a block to mount and load a few rounds to see. Not just the press but measures scales and other accessories
    This is excellent advice.

I stand when using the Dillon 1050 and 550, but sit when using the SS presses and the PW 800+ with AutoDrive. Never thought about it until now but it became my routine with each machine...likely due to bench height and machine differences. For example, it is easier to use the foot pedal on the PW if I am sitting. The point is you may get something else that will work better standing rather than sitting. If in doubt, go a bit higher. Getting a chair/stool that adjusts is a good idea.

I have a narrow bench for the 1050's and 550's (about 16" deep) but prefer the 24" width of my other benches. Unless you have a massive bench that you can ballast with lead and loaded ammunition, bolting it to the rear wall adds a lot of rigidity. I use both systems.

Good Luck!
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Another option though more work to build is adjustable legs. All the new lines at work had them so that the height was comfortable from 4'6" to 6'6" workers. Worked well. These were hydraulically operated. Simple adjustable legs with pins or an adjusting thread and nuts will do well also. Set the bench up so it will adjust from 28" to around 36" and adjust as needed. A 16"-18" of 1" ready rod 2 nuts and washers for each leg. An outer leg and an inner leg fit lightly snug together. Drill a hole 1 1/16" dia on center line. Epoxy rod into top and when cured jam nut it. Bottom nut is the adjuster. the outer legs can be 2 boards 2 X 6 with a spacer block 3"x 5 1/2" 6'' long at the top. at the bottom a board across each opening 5 1/2" tall to form the lower socket. You can then either crank bench up with a wrench or jack it up and run nuts down. This also allows for rock to be adjusted out and the bench to be leveled to any surface. Once the rod is epoxied and cured in place a 1/8" to 1/4" cross pin to secure it would help a lot

Boolit Master

Don't worry about getting the bench 2 or 3 inches low. You can add a riser under your press, different presses or accessories may require different heights and you don't want to have the bench too high if a newly acquired press needs to be lower than your original press.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Over time I've ended up with three different height benches. I use a socket and plate arraignment so I can remove machines/presses and store them elsewhere and use a blank plug if a clear bench top is needed. As others stated, don't make them too deep, stuff just piles up and then you can't find anything. I've accumulated a bunch of stuff in 40 plus years of reloading and keeping it organized is a challenge. I'm not able to work on cars and trucks at home any longer so I repurposed my large rolling tool box into storage for loading tools and few gunsmith tools/jigs etc, I could see the top of the benches for little while after that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast