Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning up old moulds

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    When I mix Ed's Red I add the optional Lanolin and omit the acetone as the acetone will attack paint and some plastics. It will take the paint off sights, don't ask!

The lanolin will add a thin lubricating film of wax that will keep firearms rust free when stored in a safe for years. I ultrasonic clean my handguns with Simple Green or Sam's Club Blue Degreaser & water. When they come out out of the bath they are completely clean so they need something. I dip parts in Ed's Red let drip dry, wipe down and re-assemble, then a little oil on the bearing surfaces. They are now ready to shoot or to store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Another ultrasonic time saving trick if you have been shooting lead bullets is putting your stainless gun barrels in a glass, plastic or metal container filled with 50/50 white vinegar and household 3% hydrogen peroxide. Put in the water bath, it will dissolve the lead in short order. The mix is also good to remove those pesky small spots of lead stuck to your molds, but it is a super oxidizer so tread lightly if using it on steel. For safety wear rubber gloves and eye protection since lead will be dissolved in the mix.
    More great stuff, thank you!

Now that I've more or less shot out the factory barrel of my S&W C.O.R.E 9L, I have an excuse to replace it with a stainless steel barrel... easier cleaning!
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    More great stuff, thank you!

Now that I've more or less shot out the factory barrel of my S&W C.O.R.E 9L, I have an excuse to replace it with a stainless steel barrel... easier cleaning!
    That is a lot of shooting! I know club members that have over 50K rounds through some of their handguns and they are still going strong. But any reason for a new barrel is a good one. I bought a Glock barrel just to shoot lead bullets, then I got into PC so I now have another barrel I will never wear out.

For the rust, get the blocks hot. I like to float them in my casting pot. Then scrub em down with a copper brush. The rust comes right off. Then spray em w/wd40 or the like while it's still smoking hot. Kinda oil blues them. I did this on about 25 rusty nasty molds I inherited, works like a champ. If there's any lead smears they wipe right off w/a wet rag while hot too.

Boolit Master

There is a lot of good information here, this thread might be a candidate for a sticky.
    Keep the suggestion coming!
    I have a mould that has burned in oil. The original owner never cleaned it, just started casting until he got 'good' bullets! Which have rounded bands. I've never been able to get the burn in crud out!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Boy, this thread went dead.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    There is a lot of good information here, this thread might be a candidate for a sticky.
    Keep the suggestion coming!
    I have a mould that has burned in oil. The original owner never cleaned it, just started casting until he got 'good' bullets! Which have rounded bands. I've never been able to get the burn in crud out!
    I would soake the blocks for 24 hours in "Oil Eater" to soften the debris or maybe "Kroil Oil" would be better to get under it or do both. Use the sharpened point of a hard lead pencil and keep digging at it; pencil lead won't scar the mold, but you might be surprised at what it will remove. Color the cavities & block faces with a #2 pencil to aid in release.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12