WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Small Log cabin Coming along...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Looks awesome! But I’d have to make it taller. Looks good for someone three feet tall.

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    Its hard to tell from the pictures but the smaller trees look like Balsam Fir. The big one by the cabin looks like an Eastern Hemlock. Where abouts in Canada are you?
    Quebec. Bordering Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Looks awesome! But I’d have to make it taller. Looks good for someone three feet tall.
    Yes thats the point. I wanted a small hunter/trapper style cabin. The roof is close to 7 feet tall. The door is 55 inches. I didn't want a massive cabin.

The inside. Thats why il need to trim and cover the pink foam... looks so bad.

Uncle gave me an old wood window. Will look really nice

We had to level out the cabin as much as possible. Nothing in here is straight or level.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    It’s bigger than I thought it is...then it is perfect! I’m 6 foot two I just wanted to make sure if you ever invite me up I wanted to be able to stand up straight!

Boolit Grand Master
    that is to cool
    I was just thinking of building a small cabin my own self
    strange how this post caught my eye
    it's a beautiful thing you have done
    best of luck to ya
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Thanks for the answers and information. You're not quite as remote as I had imagined from the photo.
    Actually, where I'm located is about the same situation as to groceries, gas, etc. I don't know what you can do about the pink insulation. It seems like a good idea, but it does look peculiar, and you wouldn't want any of it finding its way into your food, etc. You could continue to use it for the entire inside, and then cover it with plywood sheeting. If you scout around maybe you can find some natural stone for a backing for the woodstove. Nice project!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Thanks for the answers and information. You're not quite as remote as I had imagined from the photo.
    Actually, where I'm located is about the same situation as to groceries, gas, etc. I don't know what you can do about the pink insulation. It seems like a good idea, but it does look peculiar, and you wouldn't want any of it finding its way into your food, etc. You could continue to use it for the entire inside, and then cover it with plywood sheeting. If you scout around maybe you can find some natural stone for a backing for the woodstove. Nice project!
    Remote enough for me. 2 hour drive into the woods. And the neighbors are far. No one is coming to help me if something happens! Il cover up the insulation with moss in sprring on the outside. Im not sure about the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    It’s bigger than I thought it is...then it is perfect! I’m 6 foot two I just wanted to make sure if you ever invite me up I wanted to be able to stand up straight!
    Im over 6 foot and im ok. You wont be able to jump for joy without cracking your neck but its all I need.

Thanks for the pictures. Pretty nice.

You might try 1/2 saplings to cover the insulation. Split them straight down the middle and put the flat side out.

I'm interested in the floor joist construction.

Boolit Master

I've been sitting on 5 acres in Bonanza, OR for 15 years, a plot that is covered with trees and spectacular views. I have often dreamed of parking a cabin on the property for weekend or week long getaways. The plan included the purchase of a portable mill for harvest of my own trees for the 'living area' with a garage/basement half dug into the hillside with a concrete foundation.

Once, about 5 years ago, I had a squatter who lived in a tarp tented area in the bushes. Although the area is sparsely populated, maybe 10% of the plots have houses, the few neighbors I do have really look after each other. They ran the bastard off. I think the density is low because water is there, just deeper than most folks would like to drill for. Some residences haul water in, some harvest rain and snow melt. Annual precipitation will yield enough for occasional use, maybe enough for 2 people for full time occupancy.

Looking at he OP's photos and comments, the concept of a log structure is very doable. I watched a show where 2 guys erected a log cabin in Alaska in a few weeks with only a chain saw mill and manual labor. My plot would allow for equipment for the heavy overhead lifting. Still, a mountain view, a flickering wood stove and a good book sounds pretty relaxing. It doesn't hurt that every time I visit the property I run into deer and cotton tails. I need a good bow
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

What model stove you got Kev? I have a king 628. Did some research on it and best I recall it was 1907 ish to 1935ish. Neat old stove.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    What model stove you got Kev? I have a king 628. Did some research on it and best I recall it was 1907 ish to 1935ish. Neat old stove.
    No idea. Got it out of our shed at the cottage. The shed was actually a cabin built probably late 1800's or early 1900's. Would make sense if its what you say.

You might try 1/2 saplings to cover the insulation. Split them straight down the middle and put the flat side out.

Il try it in the spring i think. Good idea

Also, nothing special was done for the floor. Just put 2x4's and framed with that. Floor are pine boards.

Boolit Master
    there are some videos' on you tube where they built a cabin out of skid wood. they even have a nice ss wood stove with a oven farther up the flue pipe.

Boolit Master
    BAZOO has the IDEA for covering the pink stuff...

Boolit Master
    You may have to strip the outside also to keep birds, ETC. from stealing it for nests....

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bravo Zulu! Have enjoyed this thread...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    You may have to strip the outside also to keep birds, ETC. from stealing it for nests....
    Yeah, we'll see what I do with that in the future.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast