Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Log cabin Coming along...

Small Log cabin Coming along...

Well I started Last year and now I go work on it whenever I can. I still need to add my window, and chimney, and finish off by nailding all the logs together. I need The chimney for it to be livable. Theres nothing inside but I need a fire to survive.
    To who ever is interested:
    Small 10x10

Boolit Master
    Tell us how you decided to chink it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Tell us how you decided to chink it.
    Well my plan was to add pink insulation foam which I did, from the inside. Then put 3 inch wood strips. And I did on the wall you can't see to the left.
    Only thing is that it looks terrible. Really ugly. Il remove the ones on the wall. I think i might add something between the logs on the outside like mortar or something one day, but il leave it like that for now. And il add back my wood strips on the inside, except I havent decided if il cut them in half so it looks better, or just go around and collect saplings and branches to fill up the gaps . 3 inches looks so bad.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is nice.

Banned

cool little cabin!

Boolit Buddy
    "My Side of the Mountain", that's just awesome. I used to daydream about being "Jeremiah Johnson" as a young teen. Looks like a dream come true to me.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    Nice
    That cabin has "serenity" written all over it!
    Bob

Banned

Very nice!

Boolit Master

Lots better than a dog house
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

USMC 77, USRA 79

really nice work Kev.. i got me one of these.. a whole lot older, but just as cool.... it will serve you for a generation... now get you an old woodstove, and a window you can board up from Bears, and you are rocking!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

You are building and living the memories right now congratulations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That is pretty neat, thanks for sharing.

That is quite the accomplishment! I guess I've got about a dozen questions looking at the picture. What is the roofing? The logs are obviously cut for stacking and interlocking at the ends, but do they have a flat side for their full length or do they remain round? What is the white thing sticking out from under the front where a porch would be? Will you close in the ends at the bottom to prevent critters from taking up residence under the cabin? What kind of trees (logs) did you use? The visible foliage looks like fir... I really like the fact that you left some trees around the building site. Seems like so many cabin builders cut down everything at the building location and end up in a clearing. How far from groceries and supplies are you, and how difficult is access? What a great adventure for you.

I would like some details myself Kev. I've been pondering building a cabin on the farm. To use for a hunting shack and a camping spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I would like some details myself Kev. I've been pondering building a cabin on the farm. To use for a hunting shack and a camping spot.
    Feel free to ask away. Im glad to answer.

Boolit Master
    That's pretty darn nice, good place to hide out in. What is all that white stuff everywhere?

Boolit Grand Master
    So where's the outhouse? Old men need to know. . Looks fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    That is quite the accomplishment! I guess I've got about a dozen questions looking at the picture. What is the roofing? The logs are obviously cut for stacking and interlocking at the ends, but do they have a flat side for their full length or do they remain round? What is the white thing sticking out from under the front where a porch would be? Will you close in the ends at the bottom to prevent critters from taking up residence under the cabin? What kind of trees (logs) did you use? The visible foliage looks like fir... I really like the fact that you left some trees around the building site. Seems like so many cabin builders cut down everything at the building location and end up in a clearing. How far from groceries and supplies are you, and how difficult is access? What a great adventure for you.
    First off I wanted to mention that if you look, the first few rows of logs are alittle smaller. That's I started building this alone. But when my dad saw what I was doing he joined in. Thats why the logs are much bigger after. You can imagine dragging a 6-10 inch log by hand alone on the forest floor thats 11 feet long.... He is obsessed with going there. Thats all he talks about. We are both hunters but he grew up being a trapper with his dad. We are both fans of the 18th, 19th century mountain man/western style of life you can say. So he was/is really excited. He is turning 51 in march and me 23.

For the roof I put cedar planks. Lumber jack told me to do that instead of pine since it repels water. Then added black tar paper, and then tin from a pool. Roofing tin was to expensive. Might add grass and moss on top to further water proof it and for the awesome look. Ive always wanted a moss roof.

Everything has been done with a small sthil ms 170 and a small Hudson bay style pack axe since anything bigger is super heavy to carry over there. Nothing was measured, or calculated. I cut flat spots on the end of the logs just so they inner-lock and nailed them together with 10-12 inch spikes. I guess you can say its kinda like a dovetail. A disadvantage to this is that now some logs have a little to much that has been cut off so they are gaps. But nothing that can't be fixed with insulating and a piece of wood in a few minutes.

Logs have remained mostly round. I past the chainsaw so that they have a "flatter" surface to get as close as possible to the log underneath but I mostly just removed the branch nubs that were gettting stuck on everything. I saw some cabins that have a V notch all the way down and they have been perfectly flattened.... This is not the case here.

The white thing sticking out is the pool tin, we used it for the roof and a layer of protection on the logs around the stove. Super heavy to drag through the swamp, forest, and then a steep hill/mountain. But yes, im in the makings of a porch...

Il probably cut logs and add some sort of barricades so that critters don't go nesting underneath it. They will also add support as I will use them as legs for the logs.

As for the trees... you know more then me. Thast something I want to gain more knowledge about. We called it pine. Whatever trees you see in the picture... its those.

I wanted to keep trees. I like staying low in the woods, I didnt want to make a massive cut around the cabin. Although right infront of my front door, I have a small cleary filled with little saplings. We cut a decent amount of trees there.\ I would want to add a feeder and put feed for deer. Would be nice to have some wildlife.

That cabin isn't the only building on the land. We have another cottage. A real one with water. It's also a log cabin, and its 3 season, but there is 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, and living room. The land itself is pretty secluded. There are others around but we are pretty deep in the woods. Everyone else has a home with no land around a lake that we have access too. We're about 15-20 minutes from a gas station, groceries, restaurant and a small hardware/general store. But thats it. Its a small town/village. The land itself is close to 70 acres. The cottage is at the end of a drive way which is almost a small road deep in the woods away from the little road. And my log cabin is at the complete opposite side of that land on top of a mountain, that you need to cross a swamp and clearing to get too...

If anyone wants pictures, il upload a few more. Let me know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Pictures - yes!

Boolit Master
    Its hard to tell from the pictures but the smaller trees look like Balsam Fir. The big one by the cabin looks like an Eastern Hemlock. Where abouts in Canada are you?
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast