Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: gun store find

Banned

gun store find

I have a favorite gun store in Sacramento. I stop in there about once a month to see what is on their used rack.

Today I ended up buying 4 used rifles. They were having an inventory reduction sale to clear out guns that have been there too long.

I am not the kind of guy that lucks into deals. It just doesn't happen for me. But I got a Marlin 60 in excellent condition for $70, a Marlin "Mountie" that looks unfired for $400, a Mossberg 715T for $70.

And because I love lever actions I bought one that has always interested me.

It is a Savage model 1899 in 300 Savage. It has a replacement rear stock and forward stock. Both stocks are fitted but raw and need to be stained and oiled and a butt plate or recoil pad installed. The serial number shows it was built in 1925. The bore is excellent and the action is smooth.

The best part? I got it for $200. No joke, no BS. The guy that I always deal with in there says Savage lever actions stay on the shelf forever. Winchesters and the new Marlins are what his customers want. I have never owned or even fired a model 99 so I will have a lot to learn.

Needless to say I have been smiling all day.

I have already ordered dies. I am now looking for brass.

I will post some photos in 10 days when I bring it home.

I had to share this with folks who could appreciate it. Thanks for listening.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    It’s been a long time since I was tempted to move to CA, but tonight I’m tempted again.

Great score, and if you decide to move the Marlin or Mossberg please let me know.

I didn't even know that a gun could still be bought for less than 100$... NICE !

Pics or....you know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Tip: do-not release the spring tension on the rotary cartridge carrier unless there is a problem in cartridge feeding. Being the rifle is a early 99 model you're rifle could be close to a Century old.

300 is a great cartridge for thin-skin antelope and mule deer.
    It is somewhat difficult to reload though. IMR 4320 is the powder you want to try if you're a home reloader.
    308 brass can be trimmed to chamber in you're 99.
    Tip: I have good amount of 300 sav brass although I found trimmed 308 Fed and fired a couple times in my 300's garners a better grouping at 100 than most {new} store bought sav brass. Enjoy.

Banned
    I promise to post photos when I get these guns home.

I will probably sell the Mossberg. I had them add it in because it was so unusual to me and so cheap.

Steve in N CA

Sweet score on all. I too am looking forward to pictures.

Banned

Savage 99s are the best thing ever, and the .300 is the best cartridge of the traditional chamberings. All the 99s I have shot cast in shot cast well, including the .300.

Much better design than the Winchester or Marlin lever guns. Brass isn't as hard to find as a lot of guys will tell you, ask around on S&S and you'll find it. If the situation is bad enough, you can form it from .308, but there's a lot of trimming involved.

Boolit Bub
    Very nice score

Here in the Adirondacks in the good old days, the working Joe’s hunted with Winchester 1894’s while the more affluent hunters had Savage 1899/99’s. They are a very classy levergun. Congratulations on the score !

Boolit Master

You are going to like that 99.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Great Catch ! I would have bought all those in a minute ! The Marlin Mountie and the Savage 1899 are really great guns, I'm jealous.

Jedman

Boolit Master

200 bucks for any 99 and I would be busy filling out the paperwork.

and

AND

being lucky enough to live in a free state, would carry it out the door with me!

Boolit Buddy
    Most of my favorites are pawn shops. Two weeks ago went in one of my regulars and picked up a clip model Win. 77 for my youngest grandson when he is old enough. Last week same store I asked Stephen , "so what you got new & interesting"? Twenty minutes later I left with a 1962 Ruger Flat Top 44 mag, 95% with nary a mark on the anodizing. Love it when I find a prize. A model 99 has always been on my radar but have only seen two in the local stores in 40 years. You'll enjoy it & the caliber is sweet. I'm trying to stay away for a while but self control is way over rated.
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Nice score! I'm like you, I hardly ever find a deal, but the last time I did was at my favorite PS here in town. I came home with a Rem550, 514 and nice Winchester 1400 mk2 for $300 for all of them! The 1400 is becoming one of my favorite range guns, it dusts clays very well!

Boolit Grand Master

Was that at River City Gun Works by any chance? Congrats on a good score.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Was that at River City Gun Works by any chance? Congrats on a good score.
    River City Gun Exchange. I think we are talking about the same place.

My favorite gun store in Sacramento.

Boolit Master

The Savage 99 has become a collector item and has been seeing high prices.

Boolit Master
    I own multiple Savage 99's in 300 Savage, along with a a bunch in other calibers. Most of the powders that work well in the 308 work well in the 300 Savage. For boolits, I usually start with a .310 of about 160-170 grains, gas checked. Hornady makes cases or you can cut-off 308's. I found good accuracy with Varget or 4064 with 150gr jacketed. I am running 17 grs 4227 or 20 grs 5744 under Matts's 185gr pointed .310 GC boolits. The 1925 model has the shorter magazine (2.6") so a shorter bullet might feed better, the RCBS 150 FN or the Lee 155-160. The magazine tension is not particularly tricky to adjust and the rifle is quite simple inside. Much info is available on 'tuning', simple polishing and bedding tips that can aid accurate shooting. I would expect less than 1.5 MOA at 100 yards with most 300 Savage's with decent barrels, I have a couple 300's that do better when I put the big scopes on them. I do almost all my hunting and centerfire rifle shooting with 99's. They a rifles to be used and enjoyed.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    sghart, Head on down to the local Stop And Rob and buy yourself a few lottery tickets. You are on a roll!