Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pickup ate my socket

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Locate a friend with a good sized excavator and hook a chain to the rear bumper ..... that is if the rear bumper can stand it. Stand the vehicle on it’s nose and bounce it a bit .... that socket should shake loose!

Three44s
    Hahahahaha

Or, just find a small hole in the frame rail forward of the offending socket. Spray some "greatstuff" (expanding foam) into the frame rail. immediately get into the car, drive forward and slam on the brakes. The socket will roll forward into the sticky foam and be forever trapped. You will not get the socket back but the rattling will stop

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I had to take the intake/filter box completely out to retrieve a socket in my 2003. Also got a smaller one under the coolant tank. Upper control arm has some interesting creases. Happy hunting.

Almost forgot between the frame cross member and the rack and pinion.
    The P S hose was a piece of cake to fix. The air filter box hold down bolt nuts were spinning and you cant get to the last one unless you take the fender well out. Took about 1 1/2 hrs to get the box out. I hope I am forgiven for the names I called the design team at Jeep!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    There is a 1979 Ford van driving around with a 1/2 inch socket in the frame rail. Friend helping me replace the motor dropped it as he was handing it down to me. I watched it hit the exhaust and bounce sideways into the frame where it promptly rolled down to the rear. Tried fishing with a magnet and couldn't get it. Every time I would step on the brakes I could hear it rattle int he frame.
    My mom had a 71 Dodge Dart. Somehow a marble (we think) managed to get under the back deck and get into a low spot in the crossmember. For years you could hear it roll across the back and bump when it hit the other side every time you turned a curve. We never could find it and it was still there when she sold it in the 80s.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

Me and a buddy find lots of tools when we stop at intersections to pick up weights. Some of them are nice brands but most are imports. Around here, in farm land, you see some fairly large wrenches laying in the highway. They will work on a disc or other implement and leave a tool laying on a flat surface. I found a large special purpose socket wrench last year that truckers use to open the hoppers on hopper bottom trailers. This is a one piece socket wrench about 1-1/2 or 1-5/8 in.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Ahhhh yes the sacrificial 10mm.. I actually buy several 10mm combination wrenches and place them strategically so that I am able to find one before my BP goes through the roof after about the 3rd lap around all common places I usually see one.

I had a metric socket set in my vehicle for the longest time, missing one of the smaller sockets, I kept an eye out for it but never found it. I had ASSUMED it was a 10mm just by their association with Murphy, (Of Murphy's Law fame) and I ebayed one. Lo and behold, the postman brings the lowly 10mm socket, and I go to replace the missing socket, to my surprise, IT'S NOT A 10mm AT ALL! It's an 11mm!! Now this just confounds all logic to me, but I digress, I gave in, one cannot have too many 10mm sockets and wrenches it's impossible to do, so now I have a full set of sockets again, and Murphy gets a reboot and a restart on which 10mm socket he will cause me to misplace. The original one or the "replacement."

Murphy likes you. I find the fastest way to find something I "lost" is to buy a replacement. My most recent adventure was misplacing a heatgun. I'm in the process of packing to move so many tools are in boxes. I did keep "emergency" tools out such as hammers, ratchets, the heat gun, etc. I looked high and low for that thing for weeks. I know I'm going to need one some day and not be able to wait days for it to arrive so I order another. Like clockwork, two days after it arrives I find the first heatgun inside a packed box. The designs are slightly different and now I can do a NY reload

I used to work in at marina as a mechanic. One day a screwdriver went for a swim! (Thankfully I can't make that claim) As luck would have it the Snap-On guy was there that day and I invested in a couple of the magnet wands they have. A few minutes fishing and I had my screwdriver back.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by iomskp View Post
    I have a habit of loosing tools and the skin of my knuckles when working on cars, now I pay people to loose their tools and skin their knuckles.
    The last repair I paid a licensed shop to do, a timing belt, lasted 3 years before the belt started coming apart. The "mechanic" had stripped the threads, In The Engine Block, for the belt tensioner. No more "ase certified mechanics" for me.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Changed the oil in my Tundra the other Saturday. Spinning the drain plug off, almost had it and reached up again and it fell off before I got a hand on it. Fell down and hit the drain pan. Let it all the oil drain out then went to get the drain plug, no drain plug!! Poured the oil out , looking for the plug, no plug. Looked all over the ground and had wife come out and look in the snow at the side of the driveway. No plug. Getting ready to push the pickup to the back of the driveway so I could get out wifes car and go into town to get another plug.

Had felt on top of the shield under the engine, but no luck, but this time really stuck my hand way up on the shield. Finally found it about 6" forward of the back of the shield, under the oil pan. Guess the thing had bounced off the drain pan and landed way up on the shield!!

Get at least one of the telescoping magnet pickup tools. It has saved me many a times dropping something in the engine compartment or other confined space. Even if you can't see it just swiping the magnet around can grab it. Well if what you are after is magnetic.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Me and a buddy find lots of tools when we stop at intersections to pick up weights. Some of them are nice brands but most are imports. Around here, in farm land, you see some fairly large wrenches laying in the highway. They will work on a disc or other implement and leave a tool laying on a flat surface. I found a large special purpose socket wrench last year that truckers use to open the hoppers on hopper bottom trailers. This is a one piece socket wrench about 1-1/2 or 1-5/8 in.
    My handyman jack was found laying on the highway. I ran an ad in Craigslist to see if someone would claim it, no takers so it is mine now...

Boolit Master
    Not a tool.But will sure tickle yer funny bone.A few years ago there was a small article in a Florida news paper about a person that took their car to the dealer to have a hissing sound under the dash checked out.
    A 6 foot Boa was removed from under the dash.Wonder if the mechanic had to call for a change of wardrobe?And way back in the day when I was putting a newly rebuilt engine
    in my 53 Studebaker(swapped a 6 to an 8)I lost my 1/2x9/16th box wrench.Even pulled the intake to check in the lifter valley.Ya reckon Ole George was around back then?This was about 50 years ago.Have lost many more since.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Changed the oil in my Tundra the other Saturday. Spinning the drain plug off, almost had it and reached up again and it fell off before I got a hand on it. Fell down and hit the drain pan. Let it all the oil drain out then went to get the drain plug, no drain plug!! Poured the oil out , looking for the plug, no plug. Looked all over the ground and had wife come out and look in the snow at the side of the driveway. No plug. Getting ready to push the pickup to the back of the driveway so I could get out wifes car and go into town to get another plug.
    Little bit different drain plug story. Way back in time, 1975, On a cold winter night, I mean really cold, I had stopped at Missouri Valley Iowa for coffee. About 2 am, so it's really cold. Got back on I-29 headed north, drove about 3 miles when the warning lights started flashing, the low oil pressure bell was ringing, yes bell, I check the oil pressure gauge and it read 000. hit the switch to kill the engine and coasted off onto the shoulder.
    Looked under the truck, 1973 Diamond Reo with a brand new Cummins Hy Torque 270 engine and the drain plug had fallen out. Caught a ride back to Missouri Valley to call the company for rescue. Talked to an old guy hanging around there and he said just take a small plug out of a 55 gallon drum and it will fit the drain hole. The attended was game, so we got a plug out of an oil drum, 5 gallons of oil and the attendants pickup went back to the truck, put the new p-lug in, filled it with oil and fired it up. No more issues. It was so cold that the oil dripping out of the drain pan was frozen into an 8 inch high stalagmite.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Not a tool.But will sure tickle yer funny bone.A few years ago there was a small article in a Florida news paper about a person that took their car to the dealer to have a hissing sound under the dash checked out.
    A 6 foot Boa was removed from under the dash.Wonder if the mechanic had to call for a change of wardrobe?And way back in the day when I was putting a newly rebuilt engine
    in my 53 Studebaker(swapped a 6 to an 8)I lost my 1/2x9/16th box wrench.Even pulled the intake to check in the lifter valley.Ya reckon Ole George was around back then?This was about 50 years ago.Have lost many more since.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    snake removal, thats a thousand dollar bill if i ever seen one.

Boolit Master
    When I was working,many years ago I often drove down a street that had several garages on it. I kept my eyes open for tools and it was a rare day when I didn't find a wrench or a socket. One I found was a combination socket and open end wrench made by Proto. I still have it. Mechanics will lay a tool on the fender well and forget it when they go for a test drive. It usually bounces off while they are driving.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I think it depends on vehicle mass and how it is driven. I once drove my old ford diesel service body truck downtown to the hardware store for some part. When I got back I looked for my coffee. The ceramic mug was sitting on the back bumper of the truck I just drove and still half full of coffee.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

One of my better finds was near a road but not on the road. A 16" Proto adjustable wrench. Tied to a rope and hanging on a power line!

A few years ago scrap prices got up really high and the druggies were stealing copper wire off of everything around here. Pivot systems, irrigation wells, abandoned buildings and houses, and power lines. Pole grounds and neutrals were popular. They would tie an object on a rope and throw it over the neutral (the bottom line) and pull it down. They missed and it did a double wrap around the top line. Wrenches were a favorite item to use and they were often stolen. This wrench had initials scratched on it and I ask every farmer in the area if they recognized them.

Boolit Buddy
    The old saying was: You can never have too many 1/2" wrenches. That saying has been replaced with: You can never have too many 10mm wrenches.

My story of lost and found: My wife took my workmobile to the tire shop to have new tires put on it. The mechanic said there was a bad smell around the car and started poking around to identify it. Opened the hood and found a big white Leghorn rooster had climbed up into the engine compartment and died there. Guys in the shop drew straws as to who would have to remove the rooster. Short straw wasn't happy.
    Several of the mechanics took pictures with their phones. I'm sure that a pic of that rooster lives on somewhere on the internet.

I, very sadly, finally moved my SAE standard tools to the lower drawers of one of my roll around tool boxes. Hated to have to do that, but the metric tools are what I use now. Still find a standard bolt or nut occasionally, but not often. Dang it.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugster View Post
    The old saying was: You can never have too many 1/2" wrenches. That saying has been replaced with: You can never have too many 10mm wrenches.

My story of lost and found: My wife took my workmobile to the tire shop to have new tires put on it. The mechanic said there was a bad smell around the car and started poking around to identify it. Opened the hood and found a big white Leghorn rooster had climbed up into the engine compartment and died there. Guys in the shop drew straws as to who would have to remove the rooster. Short straw wasn't happy.
    Several of the mechanics took pictures with their phones. I'm sure that a pic of that rooster lives on somewhere on the internet.

I, very sadly, finally moved my SAE standard tools to the lower drawers of one of my roll around tool boxes. Hated to have to do that, but the metric tools are what I use now. Still find a standard bolt or nut occasionally, but not often. Dang it.
    Slugster, I know what you mean. When we moved into a senior community and I sold my pick up I no longer needed all those fractional wrenches. I called some nephews and asked if they wanted any of them. Nope, can't use 'em. Don't you wish when you were young an uncle had called you with that offer?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I think it depends on vehicle mass and how it is driven. I once drove my old ford diesel service body truck downtown to the hardware store for some part. When I got back I looked for my coffee. The ceramic mug was sitting on the back bumper of the truck I just drove and still half full of coffee.
    Was this on Hwy 1?

Boolit Buddy
    I've lost my share of tools that seem to just disappear into the aeither.... I dropped a transmission once and found a 1/2 in ratchet socket and extension riding on top. My brother pulled a fender and out dropped a 3/8 In ratchet and socket. So I've lost way more than I've gained but at least I found one or two.

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Boolit Master
    Had a triumph tiger 1050 in the workshop ,been stood for a while wouldn't start .took air box lid off full of nuts some mouse was using it as a store.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast