Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
ADvertise hereRotoMetals2Wideners

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pickup ate my socket

Boolit Buddy
    The secret to not losing tools is to just let someone else do the work. I used to do ALL of my own mechanic work, and even did work for others, but now I'm too old and these modern vehicles simply have too much stuff under the hood. They are not fun to work on, so I don't.

Boolit Master

For many years I operated a Cat D9H. One day a mechanic and I were replacing the fan/waterpump belts. The mechanic was removing a part of the grill behind the radiator to get better access. Using an air-gun, he had a 1/2" 6 inch extension that went flying when he pressed the trigger.

We both looked for a long time for that extension, down in the belly-pan, high and low, and we couldn't find it.

Everything went well for about 3 days, and then when working, I heard a sudden loud bang, saw anti-freeze blowing every where and the diesel engine started to shake and vibrate. Immediately I shut her down.

Well we found the 6 inch extension. Apparently it bounced up into the fan, went through the radiator and that was that! The radiator fan-blades were bent all to hades, and they had hit the radiator leaving nice big circles around the radiator. The extension went through the radiator side-ways, really leaving an ugly mark!!!

Our boss, a real good guy, asked the mechanic if the 1/2" 6 inch extension was tore up or bent. "Nope, it never hurt it a bit, good as new." said the mechanic.

Boss replied, "That's good, that is one thing we wont have to replace!"
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting.

WWG1WGA!

My knee-jerk thought would be in the valley between valve covers, or on the cross member. Might have dropped through a lightering hole in the frame. A bore scope might help locate it.
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Master
    I would just like to know where my 1/2 inch & 9/16 sockets keep going ........
    Thank goodness my local auto parts supplier sells individual sockets .

Boolit Master

My best friend lost his Buck knife while plowing a field. Two years later, plowing same field and saw something on top of the ground he had just plowed. It was his knife!!

Lost a few things working on cars. Sometimes I have driven down the road and heard a "clunk" under the car and looked in the rear view mirror to see one of my tools headed towards the grass

Boolit Master
    A 20mm is a pretty good sized socket. There are only so many places one of those could hide. A 10mm can hide anywhere.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Whenever I drop a tool, bolt, clamp, whatever.....I always cringe a little as it's falling through the engine compartment. If it goes all the way through and lands on the ground I am very happy.
    It's the ones that go ting, ting, ting.........and then silence that make you pull your hair out.

You haven't lived until you've dropped a socket and it bounced into a hole on a hollow frame rail and slid halfway down the inside of that rail, stopping somewhere mid-car.
    OR
    You were carefully removing a carburetor to fix an unknown vacuum leak only to find that one of the screws on the bottom of the carb base plate was stripped out and loose. When you pull the carburetor off the intake the loose screw falls down the intake. You now know the source of the vacuum leak but you have another problem.

Boolit Master
    when I bought my Harley in 2000 it had a tinny rattle in the exhaust. had it the dealer for service and the screaming eagle mufflers. when they pulled the muffler a 1/2 inch wrench fell out.

Boolit Master

Murphy's Law lives under the hood of every motor vehicle in the world!!!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Crazy fella came to church one time. When the offering plate went around he left a 1/4 drive socket and extention. He must have felt guilty about them being china brand cause he ain't been back. We was hoping next time he'd leave a ratchet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post

You were carefully removing a carburetor to fix an unknown vacuum leak only to find that one of the screws on the bottom of the carb base plate was stripped out and loose. When you pull the carburetor off the intake the loose screw falls down the intake. You now know the source of the vacuum leak but you have another problem.
    I can feel your pain. Once dropped a wing nut off the air cleaner cover/lid down in a 4 barrel Holley. I was fixing up the cable on a hand choke. OF COURSE, I was tinkering around with the "butterflies" while hooking up the choke wire!!!

Guess where the wing nut went.....go head and guess!!!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting.

WWG1WGA!

Boolit Master
    I was working on a boring plant 40 ft above the river at the refinery product terminal.....dropped a big spanner ,as it hit the water underneath a shark came up under it and probably ate it....Fella working for the refinery said all the guys throw their lunches in the river off the wharf,sharks would grab anything hit the water....I started wearing my saftey harness after that.

I had to replace the high pressure hose on my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee yesterday and my punishment for not losing a socket was having to go to NAPA to buy a 16mmx18mm flare nut wrench to take the line out of the pump(16mm) and the steering sector(18mm). $27 for 1 wrench that nobody else in town had. I would have gladly sacrificed a socket to the lost tool Gods instead, but at least the jeep is not hemorrhaging p s fluid anymore.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it

Boolit Master
    I had to take the intake/filter box completely out to retrieve a socket in my 2003. Also got a smaller one under the coolant tank. Upper control arm has some interesting creases. Happy hunting.

Almost forgot between the frame cross member and the rack and pinion.

Moderator Emeritus

There is a 1979 Ford van driving around with a 1/2 inch socket in the frame rail. Friend helping me replace the motor dropped it as he was handing it down to me. I watched it hit the exhaust and bounce sideways into the frame where it promptly rolled down to the rear. Tried fishing with a magnet and couldn't get it. Every time I would step on the brakes I could hear it rattle int he frame.

So, one day I'm driving home from the mechanics shop, I don't recall what I had repaired? but I got 1/4 mile down a highway (55MPH zone) and I hear ...BANG, BANG, CLANG ... I look in the rear view mirror and see a chrome stick (9/16" wrench I suspect?) bouncing on the pavement. I turned the car back and looked for the object, it must have landed in tall grass? cuz I couldn't find it. I circled back to the repair shop...the mechanic said he wasn't missing any wrenches, he looked the car over, didn't see anything suspicious or missing?
    ...I think it was a wrench left laying somewhere and fell free when I was going highway speed and I suspect the mechanic didn't want to fess up.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wulfman92 View Post
    I have a 06 Sierra half ton pickup with a 5.3l engine that needed a new water pump today. Pretty easy job, but the wind was blowing about 25 mph on a 40 degree day in the shade. Still pretty nice weather for January in Wyoming. Anyways, had a lower radiator hose being a bear and took quite a bit of persuading to get loose. I had a rack of sockets sitting on the air filter housing and as I was leaning over the tools to position myself to get full torque with my grip, I got her loose, but the 20mm socket came off the rack and I never found it. After some time, I had to admit, it was gone
    If your part of Wyoming is like mine, you will find it in May when the snow melts.

Well I went back to work today and I work twelve hour shifts, so I crawled under the pickup when I got home tonight to check the oil pan shield. I didn’t find it there, so I checked up by the bumper while laying underneath. Nothing yet, but not close to giving up yet!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a habit of loosing tools and the skin of my knuckles when working on cars, now I pay people to loose their tools and skin their knuckles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    There is a 1979 Ford van driving around with a 1/2 inch socket in the frame rail. Friend helping me replace the motor dropped it as he was handing it down to me. I watched it hit the exhaust and bounce sideways into the frame where it promptly rolled down to the rear. Tried fishing with a magnet and couldn't get it. Every time I would step on the brakes I could hear it rattle int he frame.
    Locate a friend with a good sized excavator and hook a chain to the rear bumper ..... that is if the rear bumper can stand it. Stand the vehicle on it’s nose and bounce it a bit .... that socket should shake loose!

Three44s
    Quit fretting about climate change. Its how much stronger gravity is getting every day that is bothering me!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast