MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Encore pistol 454 input needed...

Boolit Bub

Encore pistol 454 input needed...

Hello all, mostly lurker, reply to posts on occasion. Looking for some experience out there that might save me some time and energy.

I picked up an Encore pistol in 454 casull. I have a SRH in 454 and used to the recoil from it.

I do not have the Encore in my possession yet.

The Encore currently has a 12” barrel that is ported. I was originally going to have it cut down to 10” and get rid of the ports, but they are reportedly quite effective. Easier to take off than put back on.

I picked up a set of the discontinued Pachmayr grips. It currently has wood stocks on it.

This will be primarly a hunting pistol for deer sized critters, maybe black bear and the like out to 100yds mainly. I am going to scope it which has its own set of Q’s.

Initially I am going to be shooting the Barnes all copper VorTx 250gr factory load at 1700fps because I have a bunch of it.

With this new addition I hope to get more serious about handgun hunting.

Having said all that, here are my Q’s:

1. For those that have a similar Encore setup what are your thoughts on 10” vs 12”? Ported vs nonported?

2. For those that have a scope mounted, I am partial to Leupolds, but open to suggestions. Fixed 4x, a used 2x, or the variables like 2-7 or 2.5-8? And yes I want actual glass. I have a fastfire on my SRH.

3. Mounts and rings??? Was thinking about the SSK TSOB 6 screw, 3 ring setup. Necessary? Or a solid steel base like warne with 3 rings?

4. Does anyone like to sling it? Or most carry in a bandolier type setup?

5. Bipod? Shooting sticks? Etc. Hunting I usually have a shooting stick or some type of rest. Thought about a bipod but seems only beneficial at the range.

Sorry for the long post. And I posted in this section instead of single shots since it was a pistol, hope it fits.

Thanks in advance!

Boolit Master
    I had one that wasn't ported, and it was a witch to shoot. I shot 300 gr cast boolits from a RCBS swc mold. I put a Burris 3x7 with their rings that had the inserts and the scope never moved.

That pistol made my .44 and my .480 Ruger SRH feel like pop guns. And I no longer have it. Too much for me. When I first bought the pistol it had a 30-06 barrel and wasn't near as mean as the 454.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I'm a "fan" of T/C products. I use a Contender a lot,, and have several bbls. Plus,, I also have a few Encore bbls. While I don't have a 454,, I do have some others that have recoil.

I also have some identical bbls except for the muzzle brake. Keep it,, you will appreciate it. Noticeable difference in recoil. Just wear ear protection.

Leupold scopes,, I also prefer them. Can't go wrong there.

Mounts; The TSOB should be just fine. I like those mounts & have never had any issues using them.

Personally,, I sling all my T/C handguns. I use the sling swivel stud in the base of the grip,, and a barrel band clamp with a sling swivel. I find it quite comfortable,, easy to access by carrying it across my chest. And if a quick shot is required,, I drop the front quick disconnect sling mount,, and pull the gun right up easily!

I monopod is better than no brace. A bi-pod is better than a monopod,, and a tripod is better than either one of them. I have a few different types of shooting sticks, etc,, and use what matches the type of hunting I'm doing.
    Oh, I also have taken well over 100 whitetails with a T/C myself.

Boolit Master

I have a 13" 454 barrel on my Encore and has 4 port magna ports
    Shoots awesome
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies.

Do you think the tsob is necessary? Or a quality base and rings is enough?

Only difference is I can mount the regular base and rings myself where I’d have to send off the barrel for the tsob.

Fixed scope or variable? My SRH wears a red dot so don’t have a comparison there.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Vary loud with out ear muffs i just have 2 steel rings and bass bushnell 2x6 scope

Boolit Master
    If you wish,, you can get a good quality base & steel rings. LAP them to where you get a good contact with the scope to ring fit. Proper alignment,, as well as any necessary lapping can & will improve the holding ability.
    Next, The turret is set against the FRONT RING and acts as a recoil shoulder. No harm to scope

I have many scoped barrels & some are fixed, and some are variable. I also shoot my FA in 454 with a variable scope. I shoot it out to 100 yds,, as that's all my range has. Many folks feel a 2X scope is ideal,, and in general,, it is. For hunting,, and precise shot placement,, I've felt IN MY OPINION,,, that having a quality variable allows me options,, not available with a fixed scope. Especially at longer distances.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have a 454 C but do have a Encore
    my barrel is 9"no ports and chambered in 475 Linebaugh
    I have a Picitinny style scope base from MGM and use 2 scope mounts
    for my Leupold 4x scope
    shoot 350 to 420 gr boolits pc'd with smokes pc
    I always find a rest to shoot from (tree ect.) but if non available use a set of cross sticks
    so far I have no sling for it but have a holster that I made for it
    I put the scope on after it ate 2 Ultra Dots and 1 cheap scope
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Bub
    Thanks again everyone.

I’m leaning towards the 2.5-8 leupold for options as mentioned above.

White eagle...how is that recoil with the 9” no ports?

Boolit Grand Master
    depends
    boolit,charge,that sort of thing
    all in all not bad
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I sold my Encore. I had three 15" barrels. (All T/C) One was 454 Casull. As I didn't hunt with it I mostly fired 45 colt rounds. The 454 was a little much for shooting bean cans and with top end loads the trigger guard would bloody the middle finger of my shooting hand even with light gloves. For targets, clays and misc. yon rocks there are handguns more fun to shoot. Gp

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	254553 the Encore in 454 can shoot well the best loads were with H110 in my barrel

Make sure you dont torch off that ported gun while setting in a box blind. I have a friend who did and he did some damage to his hearing. That 454 has some serious blast to go along with the recoil generated. Boolit placement is a lot more important than bazooka loads. We loaded 2400 in his gun to lower levels after that incident and the flash and blast was greatly reduced from the full throttle H110 loads he was using.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I have two frames and a few barrels. One of the barrels is a 454 Casull. A load I like to play with is a sized down 458 Caliber cast bullet that weighs 515 depending on alloy. The load I shoot chronos in the 1250 fps catagory the three or four times I chronoed it over time.
    I put a slightly higher front on it. It is just the stock TC tapered barrel with no ports/brakes of any type. It has been over a year since I fired it. I have brought out a couple more barrels a couple nights ago and got them ready for some fun with a buddy of mine. He has shot the 454 Casull with the 515 cast. But he is in for an experience with these two. One has a 2X6 scope on it and the other iron sights.
    BTW I shoot Contenders and Encores offhand just like I do with revolvers and Semi's. Why not? Now if I want to reach out to past 100 yards I will use a rest.
    I think the 454'Casull is a fine barrel to have. Good luck with yours. Hornady factory 300 gr is a hoot.
    I hope my post is fine on this thread. If it isnt let me know and I will delete it immediately. I have to be careful what I post anymore.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 01-10-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Groo here
    Got into SSK Handcannon's some time ago...
    I do have an Encore pistol [In 50 Alaskin] most of mine are Contenders..
    First, as the .454 is in the super mag range you need the correct setup.
    One--- Pachmyar grips ,next a mult ring scope mount , the porting is good idea. and hold correctly..
    The scope mount uses extra rings to support the tube from the kick.
    Rifles and shotguns tend to kick front to back but pistols kick up and down.
    The up kick bends the tube in the middle [weakest part] and breaks stuff..
    The extra rings support more of te tube to reduce this.
    The ports help the web of the hand from rotation.
    The scope should be of good quality , my 45-70 contender has a 2/7 Burris that worked well but my FA 454 killed a Weaver in short order.[sounds like sand!!!!!!]
    Fixed powder are stronger mult power are handier but make sure the lower end or fixed at about 2 to 2 1/2 power.[ hard to hold the higher ones]
    Bypods will cause a change in impact so dont expect it to hit in the same place with vs without....
    Last ,GRIP ,, hold with shooting hand normal BUT put the off hand OVER the trigger guard not under [you will only do this ONCE , takes a while to heal I know]
    The .454 in that barrel will easely push a 300 gr bullet over 2K fps .
    As long as you hit them in a good spot,, it will only take one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Groo; 01-15-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Boolit Bub

Well, finally got everything together and assembled. Barrel cut to 10” and crowned. Went with the burris mostly because of size. Got the tsob but rings were too low so picked up the vortex rings on sale at midway. Bellm hammer extension added. I am glad I tried the pachy grip, did not like the geometry and reach of the factory wood grip. Trigger breaks nice and clean right at 3.5lbs. Thought that was plenty good on a big bore pistol so didn’t mess around with it.

Now I just need to shoot it!!! All the local clubs and ranges are closed for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Think I’m gonna look for a little brother for it - an original contender in 44 mag.

Thanks again

Groo here
    IF you find that short sucker kicks [rotates ] too much,, you can send it to SSK and get a Super Arrester break.[ they screw on]
    The harder you drive it the better it works.
    Got one on a 10in Contender 411 JDJ [444 case necked to 41 mag.
    Kicks with light loads, full power loads make the break work and feels like a hot 357mag......

Boolit Master

If you do pickup a little brother in 44 mag just watch out that you dont mix up your ammo a 44 magnum will fire out of a 454 sound's and kicks like a popgun but will hit a 10" gong at a 100 yards

Boolit Bub
    Do tell luckydawg

Boolit Buddy
    No big bore barrels. I have 223 Rem, 260 Rem, 7.62x54R and a 356 Win. All but the 223 Have muzzle brakes. The 260 Rem has the Bullberry drilled brake which works well. The others have screw on 4 Gill Brakes.
    They are loud, the fix is electronic hearing protection. You can still hear, but you are still protected from the noise.
    I field carry in a custom case with shoulder strap. I hunt from stands most of the time. At one time I had the same set up that you have on my Contenders. A sling works just fine. I always carried the Contender slung upside down under my Left arm. I am Right Handed. Make sure the sling is long enough for Winter Clothing when adjusted out long.
    If you reload, I would turn it down a little for practice. Especially if you shoot a lot. Easier on you, and the scope.
    Enjoy

Bob R