MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cracked stock simple fix, yeah right :(

Cracked stock simple fix, yeah right :(

A good friend asked if I could fix the cracked stock on his Turkish Mauser. Attachment 254486
    Looked up cracked stocks on our wonderful forum and it seemed pretty simple. A little epoxy, clean everything well and done.Attachment 254487 Attachment 254488

Then I took the stock off and gave it a good look. Attachment 254489 Attachment 254490
    I have a few more photos but you get the idea. I'll do another post to see if I can get the other photos to upload.

Boolit Master
    I have repaired similar cracks on Mauser stocks.
    I used a hypodermic syringe to inject the glue deep into the crack.
    I actually used Elmer's Wood glue and not Epoxy.
    They never cracked again.
    A friend used Crazy glue right out of the tube since it is so runny.
    After clamping and letting it sit over night the repair was fine.
    But try clamping the stock first before choosing your glue and see if the gaps actually close up.
    If they don't , then Epoxy would be your best bet.
    It will bond as well as fill-in the gaps.

USMC 77, USRA 79

amen to what LAGS said... a hypo syringe is really what is called for to get the glue in there whatever you use, and then a good clamp or toweled vice... i did the same thing for my old Ruger 44 carbine and worked better then expected, although I don't push it too hard...

marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Still unable to upload more photos of the cracks. I was able to upload a photo of how the magazine fits to the reciever. Attachment 254491 This sure doesn't look right and may have contributed to the cracking.
    So now my question: Is this worth trying to fix? Or can it be fixed?

Thanks for your replies, if the magazine isn't a problem I will give it a go.

Able to upload another photo the cube-like block is cracked on both sides and missing a piece on the other side but I think resin and fiberglass will hold it.Attachment 254492

Boolit Grand Master

I would think a gentle tap with a dead blow would straighten that trigger guard out so the magazine sets down on receiver like its supposed to. After repairing the cracks you have the opportunity to glass bed the action, make sure and ask him as most milsurp matches won't allow it to be used if bedded.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    The magazine should sit with about .020" clearance between the top of the magazine and bottom of the receiver.
    Set the magazine on the front of the receiver and at the rear , use the metal spacer that is in the rear of the stock at the Tang.
    Snug down the action screws and see where you have to make adjustments.
    But I suspect that in the photo you did not have the tube spacer installed at the rear, you didn't show that in the picture.
    But I did see the metal tube spacer in pictures , still in the rear of the stock.

Boolit Grand Master

Lags I don't think he has any screws in the trigger guard, just a single rubber band around it and receiver, therefore it should just sit down onto the receiver. The front looks bent down, it needs straightened out?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    Any thought to drilling and setting some kind of through bolt to squeeze it back together. Some brass stuff, well fitted, look OK

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Any thought to drilling and setting some kind of through bolt to squeeze it back together. Some brass stuff, well fitted, look OK
    My first thought was also that it needed some sort of crossbolt, but if others have made permanent repairs with just glue I'll defer to their judgement.

The trigger guard should be straightened. Looks like the recoil lug is not properly bedded. That with the possibility of loose action screws can easily cause such cracking.

Boolit Master
    Correct bottom metal for that receiver? Medium-length bottom metal on a long action or viseversa? Tweaked to fit, and missed?

Boolit Grand Master

Or some of the barbed brass pins like Remington used. I think I've seen them at Brownells.
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    My first thought was also that it needed some sort of crossbolt, but if others have made permanent repairs with just glue I'll defer to their judgement.

The trigger guard should be straightened. Looks like the recoil lug is not properly bedded. That with the possibility of loose action screws can easily cause such cracking.
    I cracked a Yugo M48 stock because the wood supporting the recoil lug had deteriorated. I used epoxy and a couple brass screws to repair it. I filed off the screws heads, looks fine, always been a shooter anyway. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    I do not see a Cross Bolt Recoil Lug in the stock like the military rifles use.
    One can be added and it too will help keep the crack closed and help with future cracking.
    You can also use Hardwood Dowels to make cross bolts to reinforce the stock.
    They will be easy to install and not look like repairs once sanded and finished.
    Fix the crack first.
    Then drill 5/8" holes crossways to epoxy in the dowels.
    One can be placed at the back of the recoil lug , and one in the wrist.
    Weatherbys and several other rifles have that look on High recoil rifles.
    I have replaced the metal threaded recoil lugs on Military stocks that I Sporterized, with Wood Dowels glued into the stock , and then reinletted to act as the recoil lug.
    They look good.
    Last edited by LAGS; 01-08-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Boolit Master

spread the cracks, wick epoxy into them, and clamp them good. 1 brass pin or screw with epoxy on the threads run right across the spot between recoil lug and magazine if it makes you feel good. i just did one a month or so ago, it had 13 cracks. a few were small but most were very large. depending on direction of cracks, and what you have available for clamping, just work a few cracks at a time. from what i see, that stock pictured is quite saveable.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wyofool View Post
    Still unable to upload more photos of the cracks. I was able to upload a photo of how the magazine fits to the reciever. Attachment 254491 This sure doesn't look right and may have contributed to the cracking.
    So now my question: Is this worth trying to fix? Or can it be fixed?
    Here's one of mine I just took the screws out and rubber banded it to the receiver, it should set perfectly flat against the bottom of the receiver like this one. Try to straighten it, may be too long a trigger guard/mag box, numbers match the receiver??
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post

I do not see a Cross Bolt Recoil Lug in the stock like the military rifles use.

One can be added and it too will help keep the crack closed and help with future cracking.

You can also use Hardwood Dowels to make cross bolts to reinforce the stock.

Fix the crack first.

Then drill 5/8" holes crossways to epoxy in the dowels.

One can be placed at the back of the recoil lug , and one in the wrist

+1 - but I would use the EASY button, digging a crosswise trench for the threaded section of a bolt, which will give plenty strength against cracking, and be totally invisible under the bedding.

(another tip: mix some sawdust from under the buttplate into the epoxy for the crack to be invisible after finishing the outside of the stock)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    The Blind Reinforcement bolt bedded into the front of the stock is a good idea.
    But there is no way to do something similar at the crack running down the wrist of the stock.
    If the action is not Bedded 100 percent solid , the recoil on the rear action screw can open that crack up again.
    When I see a crack like that , I wonder how strong the wood really is and if it will be prone to future cracking.
    I would rather do a little Over Reinforcing and sacrifice a little look , then have it crack again and then have to try and repair it again.
    Which in most cases will be impossible.

Boolit Master
    Cheap set of wood shims for windows/doors from ( ) store. Used to GENTLY spread for glue/epoxy and then remove, install clamp setup that you have very well planned and dry run a few times. Then post cure "I" cuts can be made in channel 90 degrees and filled with epoxy. The threaded brass pins Brownells used to sell duplicates of the ones used by our arsenals for repairs when we had wood. I have used in past and very easy to install, drill hole, put in battery drill and slow screw through and file flush, done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast