Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help

Boolit Master

Need Help

Hello All,
    I need advice on how to make my MP 45 Ruger Only 2 cavity mold work correctly. I've tried different temp's, ladle pouring and sustained cooling in-between pours with the same results. I'm getting nice fill out everywhere except the section where it's frosted. The first bullet shows how nice one side comes out and the next 4 show my issue. Thanks in advance. Boats

Boolit Grand Master

Look at the vent lines closely make sure they are clean and deep enough to vent properly. I would also contact MP and see what they suggest.

Did it cast good bullets and stop or has it always been a problem? Sometimes a new mould needs a few break in sessions to do really well. Tine to develop the patina to really cast well. The only thing I will add to the above is to use a bamboo skewer stick gently to clean the vent lines

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Look at the vent lines closely make sure they are clean and deep enough to vent properly. I would also contact MP and see what they suggest.

Did it cast good bullets and stop or has it always been a problem? Sometimes a new mould needs a few break in sessions to do really well. Tine to develop the patina to really cast well. The only thing I will add to the above is to use a bamboo skewer stick gently to clean the vent lines
    Thanks for the advice. I've tried everything I know how to with this mold. IE: De-greased with dawn and hot water, heated to casting temp in my toaster oven/let cool 3 times and checked for lead on the cavities.

Really, really clean the vent lines.
    If they even have a speck in them, they'll clog up like a plug in a water hose.

I use a solvent and scrub them with a old toothbrush, then blow 'em off with a air hose.
    Be quick, an aggressive solvent also melts the toothbrush.

I've had fits with them here & there, but that seems to work for me.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Really, really clean the vent lines.
    If they even have a speck in them, they'll clog up like a plug in a water hose.

I use a solvent and scrub them with a old toothbrush, then blow 'em off with a air hose.
    Be quick, an aggressive solvent also melts the toothbrush.

I've had fits with them here & there, but that seems to work for me.
    Thanks for the advice.

It looks like you are plenty hot. It looks like trapped air to me. I'd be surprised if MP missed something on the vent but it's always possible. I'd try to slow the pour speed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    It looks like you are plenty hot. It looks like trapped air to me. I'd be surprised if MP missed something on the vent but it's always possible. I'd try to slow the pour speed.
    Thanks for the advice.

Boolit Buddy
    I am no expert, but it looks to me like either the mold is too cold or the mix needs more tin in it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
    I am no expert, but it looks to me like either the mold is too cold or the mix needs more tin in it.
    Thanks for the advice.

I had that. What solved it for me was pouring excess alloy over the sprue puddle. I never determined the exact cause of it. Similar can be caused by a too hot mould coupled with a too cool sprue plate (something you find with aluminum moulds most often) according to a snippet in The Art of Bullet Casting book. Though I personally think for me it was trapped air as I was getting it right at the web between bullet cavities. I've noticed that an alloy with minimal tin does that more than an alloy with more tin, say coww vs 95/2.5/2.5.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 01-09-2020 at 07:35 AM.

Slow down your rate of pour.

Boolit Master
    First give the mold a good cleaning. I would scrub it several time under hot running water using Dawn and a nylon brush. Then a bath in Acetone to remove any possible hint of oil.

After it is clean & dry, polish out the cavities with a #2 pencil lead, use a very sharp point inside the bands. Also a very sharp point run into the vent lines. While you are at it color the top of the mold and under the sprue plate with graphite. If it is frosting I would think you are hot enough. You didn't mention what type of filling method you are using? I would say you need a faster fill starting 1-2-3-4 in either direction, but making sure a cavity is completely filled before going to the next and end up with a heavy sprue. I think this process will solve the problem.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I had that. What solved it for me was pouring excess alloy over the sprue puddle. I never determined the exact cause of it. Similar can be caused by a too hot mould coupled with a too cool sprue plate (something you find with aluminum moulds most often) according to a snippet in The Art of Bullet Casting book. Though I personally think for me it was trapped air as I was getting it right at the web between bullet cavities. I've noticed that an alloy with minimal tin does that more than an alloy with more tin, say coww vs 95/2.5/2.5.
    Thanks for the advice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    Slow down your rate of pour.
    Thanks for the advice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    First give the mold a good cleaning. I would scrub it several time under hot running water using Dawn and a nylon brush. Then a bath in Acetone to remove any possible hint of oil.

After it is clean & dry, polish out the cavities with a #2 pencil lead, use a very sharp point inside the bands. Also a very sharp point run into the vent lines. While you are at it color the top of the mold and under the sprue plate with graphite. If it is frosting I would think you are hot enough. You didn't mention what type of filling method you are using? I would say you need a faster fill starting 1-2-3-4 in either direction, but making sure a cavity is completely filled before going to the next and end up with a heavy sprue. I think this process will solve the problem.
    Thanks for the advice.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Ditto for me (highlighted in red)

I call it shrinkage. (I haven't seen many others call it that, so if I am misusing a term, forgive me.)
    What is happening is, as the boolit freezes, the alloy shrinks. As the alloy is shrinking, it needs to pull more alloy into the cavity from the molten sprue puddle. If the sprue puddle is small, it will freeze before the boolit inside the mold freezes and shrinks. If there is no molten alloy to pull into the mold, the boolit will just stay shrunken...typically in the center, just like the boolits in the photo shown.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Ditto for me (highlighted in red)

I call it shrinkage. (I haven't seen many others call it that, so if I am misusing a term, forgive me.)
    What is happening is, as the boolit freezes, the alloy shrinks. As the alloy is shrinking, it needs to pull more alloy into the cavity from the molten sprue puddle. If the sprue puddle is small, it will freeze before the boolit inside the mold freezes and shrinks. If there is no molten alloy to pull into the mold, the boolit will just stay shrunken...typically in the center, just like the boolits in the photo shown.
    Thanks for the advice

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe tilt the mold a smidge, pour off center just a tad causing the alloy to swirl. Loosen the sprue plate so it swings freely. Does the mold has a slight bevel on top of the blocks to help venting?

Boolit Master
    Have had this problem at times and found that leaving a larger puddle on top of the sprue plate and lightly dropping the mold onto a hardwood block while the puddle was still liquid would cause the problem cavity to fill.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cupajoe View Post
    Maybe tilt the mold a smidge, pour off center just a tad causing the alloy to swirl. Loosen the sprue plate so it swings freely. Does the mold has a slight bevel on top of the blocks to help venting?
    Not that I'm aware of. Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast