WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone sell 30-30 gas checks that are cheaper than Speer jacketed bullets

Boolit Mold

Anyone sell 30-30 gas checks that are cheaper than Speer jacketed bullets

I have no intention of casting my own bullets, so I am wondering if anyone makes 30-30 gas checked bullets that are cheaper than the Speer bullets I use for silhouette? The Speer 170s can be had for about $0.22/each. Folks that shoot cast in silhouette swear by them and say that cast has better take down because it "dwells" on the target longer. I've searched, but never found anything.

Search 30 caliber rifle bullets at Midway and you will probably find your answer. As far as that last paragraph, that sounds pretty ridiculous to me. Just saying. My opinion only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    look here ->->->-> https://ammoseek.com/

Never purchased from these guys but a interweb search for "30 cal gas checked lead bullets"

Found this
    https://www.proshootpro.com/secure/OrderForm.aspx

And others it will get you started.

Good luck.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Mold
    Penn Bullets states that his bullets are good without gas checks to 2000 fps. I though you needed them once you got over about 1400 fps or so? I leaded up a 1894 44 Mag once and I don't want to repeat that with my Marlin 336. Anyone used these bullets approaching 2000 fps?

Boolit Master

This guy has been around for years and you'll have to wait a bit but they have what you are looking for.
    http://gardnerscache.com/lead_rifle_bullets.html

I know the bullet barn has good boolits but not sure how shipping those items into the states from Canada works

One thing you might think about is getting a nice NOE or Accurate mold, a LEE 20lb bottom dripper and a box of gas checks... OR a Pat Marlin gas check maker...

Then you'll be making boolits for about 4-5 cents a piece. Probably less if you get a check maker.

You won't save any money, but you sure will shoot more and have a lot more pride in your handloads.
    WWG1WGA

Put an add up in the trader section I'm sure someone will sell you some
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy

try sage outdoors, they have them

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    This guy has been around for years and you'll have to wait a bit but they have what you are looking for.
    http://gardnerscache.com/lead_rifle_bullets.html
    That is what I am looking for. Thanks. It's too bad he only offers .309 diameter. I was under the impression that .310 or .311 was "ideal" for Marlin 336 barrels.

Boolit Mold
    Just to be clear to the other folks who are responding (which I really appreciate), I want to buy the bullets with the gas checks already installed. I simply don't have time to cast bullets or press on gas checks at this time. Heck, I barely have enough time to load and unload ammo at the range LOL!

Banner Sponsor

I don't know if these would work or not, but are $.11 ea.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101818140?pid=289338
    Berry's plated 150gn

Boolit Buddy

Cool

Just to be clear to the other folks who are responding (which I really appreciate), I want to buy the bullets with the gas checks already installed....

Too bad that almost no one posting bothered to read your OP. Seems all they read is the title, maybe next time you should be more specific in the title. I wouldn’t think that you would need to, but clearly you do when helpful-meaning folks actually aren’t.

I used to cast 100s of bullets a month, but in the past few years I’ve resorted to buying some sized/lubed-GC’d bullets. They weren’t much - if any - cheaper than I can buy jacket bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Berry's plated 150gn
    Great suggestion. I have thought about the Berrys bullets as I shoot a lot of them in pistol. My concern in rifle is that they do not have a cannelure to crimp in. Berrys says to use a taper crimp like on 9mm or 45acp, but I'm a little worried about bullet set back. Might have to start a new thread on Berrys in 30-30.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    Too bad that almost no one posting bothered to read your OP. Seems all they read is the title, maybe next time you should be more specific in the title. I wouldn’t think that you would need to, but clearly you do when helpful-meaning folks actually aren’t.

I used to cast 100s of bullets a month, but in the past few years I’ve resorted to buying some sized/lubed-GC’d bullets. They weren’t much - if any - cheaper than I can buy jacket bullets.

From what I can tell, you seem to be spot on about buying commercial gas checked bullets vs JFP. Looks like if you cast your own and press on the gas check, you can save some cash. Cast is so much cheaper for pistol, I was hoping to do the same in rifle. Not to mention cast in my 1911 45acp is wicked accurate too.

For crimping into bullets without a groove try a Lee FCD. The collet style of crimping is strong enough to crimp any bullet any where.
    Leo

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Berry's plated 150gn
    I remember why I have not used the Berrys. Problem is our range rules at my 5,000+ people club. We shoot lever action silhouette on the 200 yard silhouette range and the 30-30 can only be loaded with cast or soft point bullets with a velocity of less than 2500 fps. I asked our club Range Officer if he would allow Berry's seeing how the bullets are "plated" and not "jacketed" and should not hurt the steel silhouettes, and he would not permit them. I can use them on the other ranges at the club, but I pay with 30-30 at the silhouette range.

Swipe a file across the nose of them plated berry bullets , presto you got a soft point .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I've become a fan of the TrueShot 170 gr GC RNFP bullet in my 336 30-30. I shoot quite a bit of lead in all of my guns, and the 30-30 is no exception. Generally the 30-30 cast bullets get either Unique or AA#7 and usually under 1600 fps. Proper sized and gas checked there's no reason you can't push them several hundred fps faster, but in my gun the accuracy node with the cast boolits is normally in the 1400-1600 fps range.

Cast boolits in the Marlin micro groove barrel in something I wouldn't try until early 2018 .... now I'm addicted.

jd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast