RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: New reloading scale...NECESSARY?

Boolit Master

New reloading scale...NECESSARY?

I have a Dillon Eliminator scale that lately has not been as accurate and consistent as in the past 20 years or so. The damper vane sticks at the bottom of the notch, and although the bearings look good, I can zero it, and then it weighs heavy with my check weights. I tried the fixes suggested by Dillon's tech, with no real change.

OHAUS makes this scale, and the long-gone RCBS 505 scale in addition to many of the "big names'" scales. In fact, my first reloading scale was the brown OHAUS, which is/was the RCBS in different colors, but cheaper.

Sooo...Dillon repair? A new scale, figuring I have got my money's worth from the old one, or? OHAUS still sells the 505, as a scale of a different color, and at a lower price than "Big Green" charged. Are there other scales that I should consider?
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    I have a Dillon Eliminator scale that lately has not been as accurate and consistent as in the past 20 years or so. The damper vane sticks at the bottom of the notch, and although the bearings look good, I can zero it, and then it weighs heavy with my check weights. I tried the fixes suggested by Dillon's tech, with no real change.

OHAUS makes this scale, and the long-gone RCBS 505 scale in addition to many of the "big names'" scales. In fact, my first reloading scale was the brown OHAUS, which is/was the RCBS in different colors, but cheaper.

Sooo...Dillon repair? A new scale, figuring I have got my money's worth from the old one, or? OHAUS still sells the 505, as a scale of a different color, and at a lower price than "Big Green" charged. Are there other scales that I should consider?

I would call Dillon. I would see what they suggest. I dont think any small beam scales are made in the USA any more. So im not sure about the quality of a replacement if Dillon provided one. That said I have a Dillon Eliminator scale. Its my most accurate beam scale Ive had when checking it with my check weights.

I dont know where to turn for a new beam scale today. I have a RCBS 1010 that is definitely going back to them. Its a fiasco. Loses zero constantly. Very inconsistent. Dont know if a new 505 would be better. Maybe. Who knows
    Last edited by doulos; 01-08-2020 at 05:20 PM.

I'd get with Dillon.
    They may be able to rebuild the pivot points, or replace it.
    There's a reason why they have a cult like following.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

If Dillon will fix it and it works, fine. If not you might look for a used scale, maybe older. Like Lyman which were made by Ohaus I think, as were most brands. Get a set of Check weights in the range of weights you commonly use. Had to beat those older Lyman's for what they likely will cost, and never wear out. I'm using an older red Pacific now which I'm sure was made by Ohaus, just because the notches in the poise are deeper and my old age fumble fingers don't knock them off the set weight so easily. But I think the old Lyman bearings can't be beat.

Boolit Master

The recent crop of Ohaus 505 and 1010 scales are NOT the same, and they are not made by Ohaus. Rather, they are made by a supplier contracted in China.

I confirmed this with Ohaus personally via phone call and email.

It would be a decent plan to keep eyes on our very own Swappin & Sellin forum for a used 505.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 01-09-2020 at 12:53 AM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Grand Master
    I now only have my beam scale as a back up. The Chargemaster is expensive but I love loading rifle rounds on it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I handloaded with my 505 for 35+ years, one fly in the ointment with them:

The 505 uses a small metal tab for the tenths of grains that will readjust itself if you remove the loaded scale pan just a little too quickly. As the beam drops it bangs on the scale base and the tenths tab jumps to a higher setting.

I came across a 510 RCBS, then a 1010 and finally a 304 Dial A Grain in a fairly short time period.

My 304 is my “daily driver” now a days!

The 1010 is just a 510 that can weigh up to 1000 grains. In my opinion the 510 is the solution if it was not for my finding the 304.

This is all assuming we are talking vintage RCBS/Oahus scales. With a Dillon in the mix I would post haste get them involved and get that Dillon fixed.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I have been using an older RCBS 505 for years and I have no reason to look for a new scale, the 505 has all ways been accurate and trouble free.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions. My scale is on its way to Dillon, so now the wait. Their Customer Service was more than helpful!
    Belt & suspenders...I have my eye on a couple of RCBS 505 scales as back-up...one used, the other new. Is there any benefit to getting the older one compared to the newer model 505?
    My Check Weights consist of a small Lyman set...total weight 20.5 gr., a couple so small they don't hardly make the beam jiggle, and a Sierra 53 gr varmint boolit that weighs 52.9 gr. I figure that's close enough for government work!

Boolit Master

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. My scale is on its way to Dillon, so now the wait. Their Customer Service was more than helpful!
    Belt & suspenders...I have my eye on a couple of RCBS 505 scales as back-up...one used, the other new. Is there any benefit to getting the older one compared to the newer model 505?
    My Check Weights consist of a small Lyman set...total weight 20.5 gr., a couple so small they don't hardly make the beam jiggle, and a Sierra 53 gr varmint boolit that weighs 52.9 gr. I figure that's close enough for government work!
    As mentioned above, you definitely would do better to find an older USA made 505 than the knockoffs currently branded by Ohaus. Ohaus doesn't make them any more, and reports habe not been positive.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

There are scales still made in the USA. Well At least one. Lee. Their powder scale Is a good one.
    It does take a bit of getting used to. The way the small poise works is what has a learning curve.
    Mine is sensitive enough to deflect with one kernel of stick powder.
    In the instructions for the scale they say it is sensitive enough to deflect with a square of paper 5/16 inch on each side. I tried this just to see. It deflects quite a bit with just the square of paper.
    I have a Lyman 1000 scale. It is just as sensitive. I used the same piece of paper and it deflects about the same as the Lee.
    It deflects with just one kernel of a stick powder. If that's not sensitive enough then I don't know what is.
    The Lyman does act up now and again. It gets dusty and this dust in the bearings effects the beam travel.
    Lift the beam out, brush the bearings out with an old tooth brush and your back in business.
    I have tried several electronic scales and find I can't get myself the trust them. Use a most anything and weigh it, lift it off and reweigh it. Do this ten times and get 10 different weights. If they were off by just a bit I think I could use them. But more than a grain on a 50 gr bullet!! I don't think so.
    I'll stick with something I know is accurate. A beam scale.
    I have found one thing about the Lee scale I think could be better. On the frame by the pointer end of the beam it should have more graduations than just the one. Not a hard fix, A small white sticker with a center line and 3-5 marks above and below the centerline. Make each mark represent 1/10 th gr.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    New scales made in china are just junk.
    Do not even think of getting one.
    Same with the digital scales.
    Looks for something made in the USA or Japan.
    Many old beam scales just need a good cleaning.
    I've dressed the piviot a few old one's that I've been given, and they worked fine.
    Sometimes it's just dirty or rusted.
    I used to use an old Redding oil dampened scale.
    Worked great, but I got tired of cleaning the oil spill when I knocked it over.
    I'm now using an old Pacific/Hornady.
    I cover it with a wash cloth when not in use.
    Looks as good as new.

Boolit Grand Master

This may be a dumb question but is there any particular reason your settled on getting a beam? There are many good digital scales out there. I used a cheap Franklin Armory $20 one for awhile with good results and then got a GemTech 250 which is superb. Now I only use that as a backup to check my Hornady LocknLoad Auto that my wife gave me for Christmas 2yrs ago, to measure small charges for a pistol or when I need to be really precise.

I never had much luck with a beam either in the lab or reloading. I don't know of any Lab that uses beam scales anymore and the Lee I have sits in a box on the shelf. I should sell that come to think of it.
    Last edited by jonp; 01-11-2020 at 03:57 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    This may be a dumb question but is there any particular reason your settled on getting a beam? I never had much luck with a beams either in the lab or reloading.
    Not dumb at all! I started with a beam scale before the electronic kind was even a gleam in some inventor's eye! I guess it is: Stick with what you know and can use well. The fluorescent lights near my loading bench are closer than the minimums for some electronic scales I have researched, and are said to create problems, so I just never decided to try it and see. They are probably excellent, but my experience with beam scales has been positive...so far.

Boolit Master
    If you don't mind getting another old scale, there's lots of American-made scales available on The Bay. Some are overpriced, but others are attractively priced and of high quality... As of 5 minutes ago, there were several old Herter's single-beam scales available (I used one of those myself for a long time), and a very nice Ohaus 1110 Dial-o-Grain scale (in original packaging) for only $11 or so (subject to change, of course)... Search "Herters scale" or "Ohaus 1110" and they'll pop right up... and are likely to be of the quality you seek...

Boolit Master

Smile

News from Dillon...My old scale was unrepairable, so they are sending me a new one!
    Thank you Dillon!

I still can get one of two made in the USA 505 scales, which I may do, just to have a back-up.

A back up never hurts. Using one to compare with the other can help detect issues in one or the other.
    Leo

News from Dillon...My old scale was unrepairable, so they are sending me a new one!
    Thank you Dillon! :
    Yep. Of the loyalty they have, it's well earned.

And as Perry Mason would say, "Your Honor, the Defense rests.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.