WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Turquiose

Boolit Master

Turquiose

Does anyone here know anything about these green rocks and if they have any value?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Vendor Sponsor

Maybe quartz with copper in them?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I know a little bit. High grade, jewelry quality turquoise is a rare thing now days. If it has inclusions in it of other rocks/minerals it isn't worth much.
    The native American Jewelry smiths went from the high quality stuff to the lesser quality stuff to reconstituted turquoise made of powdered turquoise and a glue matrix to blue plastic. Your specimens do not appear to be of high quality, but you can seek out a gemologist or geologist that has knowledge of turquoise and seek their opinion. If of high quality it does have moderate value.
    Attachment 254477

Boolit Master
    Thanks,
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

That's pretty neat, Thanks for sharing.

The stones look like jasper to me.

Boolit Master
    I have been reading a little about turquoise and it seems the rock takes on the colors of green or even blue after spending thousands of years in the ground next to copper deposits.

Moderator Emeritus

Polish one side of each to see if it is quality...

Boolit Buddy
    throw it in your tumbler with a load of brass, see what happens.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    throw it in your tumbler with a load of brass, see what happens.
    Won't work. You polish rocks with carborundum - the same thing you use to sharpen knives, just smaller pieces.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Looks more like malachite to me from that picture (note the bullseye which malachite is famous for). If malachite is solid enough to take a polish (it looks like it is in the pic), it can be carved and polished into beautiful cabochons. Pieces big enough can be carved and polished into statues, vases, etc. It is not considered a precious stone but it can be valuable with the right lapidary. If you want to try your hand at polishing without going while hog, you can polish small pieces with a Dremel tool starting with carborundum then switching to jewelers rouge with the stone hot glued to an ice cream stick then touching water. Malachite is more common than turquoise. You didn't say where you got the stones but if you were afield, I am sure your secret with us .
    Last edited by quilbilly; 01-11-2020 at 12:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Looks more like malachite to me from that picture (note the bullseye which malachite is famous for). If malachite is solid enough to take a polish (it looks like it is in the pic), it can be carved and polished into beautiful cabochons. Pieces big enough can be carved and polished into statues, vases, etc. It is not considered a precious stone but it can be valuable with the right lapidary. If you want to try your hand at polishing without going while hog, you can polish small pieces with a Dremel tool starting with carborundum then switching to jewelers rouge with the stone hot glued to an ice cream stick then touching water. Malachite is more common than turquoise. You didn't say where you got the stones but if you were afield, I am sure your secret with us .
    billy, my brother was selling a house near me and since he was in the VA Hospital, I was asked to clean it out. His wife who had passed away had been into lapidary as a hobby and it was some of the stones she either found or bought, I don't know which. I also found a large piece of dark green jade along with lots of other stones. I may attach a picture of the jade later. By the way, they did not live in the house my brother was selling. Attached are pictures of the jade I spoke of. It weighs over 5.5 pounds and is very dense. My wife and I stayed in a motel by the ocean in the Small town of Cambria, Ca. and the drive way was paved with small pieces of jade.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 01-11-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Gopher,

That looks identical to the green jasper we find out here on the Oregon beaches when we are agate hunting. A brief trip to a jeweler who specializes in gems and semi-precious stones, or an agate dealer if there is one near you, will tell you exactly what you have.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd N. View Post
    Gopher,

That looks identical to the green jasper we find out here on the Oregon beaches when we are agate hunting. A brief trip to a jeweler who specializes in gems and semi-precious stones, or an agate dealer if there is one near you, will tell you exactly what you have.
    I have picked up some beautiful real jade on Oregon beaches near Yachats. The stones were small but nice polished and mounted for a pendant.