RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help me pick

Boolit Grand Master

You didn't state the intended usage. If its a SD carry gun the model 65. If it's for hunting, plinking, night stand usage or target the 686. All things being equal I prefer the older non-MIM parts in the 65, however, the adjustable sights and the L frame verse the K frame wins out for most usages except for SD carry. For ranch carry or defense against black bears and such the 686.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I'm looking for a range gun that I could carry but more of a range gun
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Fixed sight guns are a thing of beauty when they POI correctly. Range guns tend to be shot mostly at paper targets or things like cans or 12 gauge hulls. Having to hold off for POI while you buddies are smoking you isn't a lot of fun.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

LD ... 586. Very well made and for your needs ... purrrfect!

Boolit Master

Well I was able to get out and look today LGS had the same type of revolvers that i was looking at the model 65 nice but the sights
    are just not working with my eyes The 686 would work but not quite what I'm looking for then I looked at a model 60 pro with a 3" barrel
    looked good and felt good in my hands but the Trigger not so good and the sights just dont work for me ether then I looked at a
    Ruger SP101 with a 4" barrel It felt good in my hands and the fiber-optic sight is Awesome have the day off on Monday going to look at a few more

Take a look at the GP100. Ruger got it rite with it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Take a look at the GP100. Ruger got it rite with it.
    I just started looking for one
    the only thing about the SP and GP100 that I dont like are the grips I also came across a model 66-8 in my price range but it had a 4" barrel I just want to get it right the first time with this one

Boolit Grand Master

The SP101 is a bugger to find good grips for. The GP100 on the other hand has a wide range of grips available.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The SP101 is a bugger to find good grips for. The GP100 on the other hand has a wide range of grips available.
    I was under the impression that the grips for both the SP101 and the GP100 were the same style but just larger

Boolit Grand Master

Nope. The only interchange is the GP100 and Super Redhawk. The SP101 is very limited in grip options, and all of them are small. It's really a shame the SP101 has been more or less just left as a small carry gun, and nothing more. With all the 4.2" barrel versions around for how long now, 15 years, you would think somebody would come out with a target grip for a man size hand.

If the GP100 appeals to you, I would go that route. I love my SP101 as a carry gun, but if I were happy occasionally carrying a GP100, it is a better all round gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12