RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best option for Browning 1885 High Wall?

Boolit Buddy

I just got a reply back from Marble support about the Marble tang sight reference in post #7 and it is a stock mounted sight.

Troy Bernson <tbernson@marblearms.com>
    2:19 PM (1 hour ago)
    to me

Yes, the sight is to be mounted on the stock. No, we do not have any type of receiver type peep sight.

Troy Bernson

Customer Service

tbernson@marblearms.com

Marble's Gun Sights

420 Industrail park

Gladstone, MI. 49837

906-428-3710

Boolit Master

Looks like the Williams would work for long range if a custom sight arm with longer staff was made for it.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by wcp4570 View Post
    Both my sight pieces have clicks and markings for elevation and windage. I searched Midway USA for the FP1885 and it shows discontinued. I have never seen that before I guess because it is discontinued. May need to contact Williams. thanks

wcp
    I saw it on the Buffalo Arms site but it was marked "out of stock"
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Master
    Rather than the marbles sight what about the mva rough rider sight it's a barrel mounted peep that's made to mount up against the front of the action.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Rather than the marbles sight what about the mva rough rider sight it's a barrel mounted peep that's made to mount up against the front of the action.
    I have a MVA Rough and Ready barrel sight. MVA makes high quality products. The Rough and Ready sight is an exact reproduction of the original Remington.
    I don't recommend it. I wish I did not install it on my Remington rolling block hunting rifle. The sight sounds good but in use it has problems. The fixed rear notch is exceeding small to the point of not being seen at all. Once installed on the barrel, the notch elevation is fixed with no provision for elevation.
    The ladder peep disk does adjust up and down but no marking on the staff to relocate settings if it were to be moved or bumped. The disk (peep) just slides up and down with no reference to where it is. There is no windage adjustment on the rear. Other than drifting the front sight left and right, you better hope your rifle shoots center with the center mounting of the rear barrel sight just like most basic rear sights.

This is not a scathing review on MVA but rather information on MVA's very accurate reproduction of what early Remington Rough and Ready sights really were made like. For those looking for a historically correct sight - MVA provides it.

It may be just right for you, but make sure you know what you are getting.

BTW- I am a big fan of MVA and their products and CS are top notch.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 01-10-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

One plus to fitting a second stock is you will have some "leeway" in the eye relief when mounting it up. Also a second block fitted back towards the butt late like the early creed moor rifle would allow it to be used from the back position. A plain walnut replacement butt stock from one of the makers wouldn't be a lot and would give more options. when and if the time comes the original could be quickly re installed. Mounting on in the wood may give some small changes due to moisture changes in the stock.

Boolit Buddy
    I put Malcolm 6X on my 2 1885 Winchesters with the Malcolm mounts they fit the holes provided in the receiver and the front in the rear sight dovetail. I swap between the 405 Winchester and 375 H&H. Both are Traditional hunters. Both have thangs.

Bill

Boolit Master
    For those looking for the FP 1885 Williams sight. I think they were discontinued 8 or 10 years ago.

However they show up cheap on ebay from time to time. So far I have bought 3 on ebay and passed on several others.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    For those looking for the FP 1885 Williams sight. I think they were discontinued 8 or 10 years ago.
    Not surprising, and kinda makes sense as the Browning version of this gun has been out of production for some time. I will watch eBay to see if one becomes available, otherwise...back to Square One!

Boolit Buddy

Hey Captain I found a Browning with a FP1885 sight installed on gun broker. Instead of saving pictures and reposting them, here's the link so you can see exactly how that sight looks on the rifle. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852478404

wcp

Thanks...I could live with that. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one.

Boolit Buddy
    There is another complication if you are planning to shoot in sanctioned competition. Click adjustable sights are prohibited by the BPCR rules.

"Rear sights will be of vernier or ladder type, typical of the era, either open or peep, mounted on the tang or barrel. No modern style receiver, glass, or tube sight permitted. Front sights must be typical of the era, and may be shaded. No modern or olympic-type sights permitted."

Basic Rules for BPCR

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed fat man View Post
    There is another complication if you are planning to shoot in sanctioned competition.
    No such plans. I shoot for the smile factor...

My big brother opted for a slender low power Leupold.
    Good choice for him as he needed the longer range optics with his MOA 500 grain swaged soft lead paper patched spitzer anti-aircraft looking deer and hog loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain*Kirk View Post
    No such plans. I shoot for the smile factor...
    Depends on what you consider long range. You will be limited by the amount of elevation adjustment you can get. A thousand yards will need about 170 to 190 minutes of angle, depending on the bullet. That may be more than a receiver sight can do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f5cc0f5c66c5a83c83ff5c31e66aa54e.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	254886
    Last edited by one-eyed fat man; 01-16-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed fat man View Post
    Depends on what you consider long range. You will be limited by the amount of elevation adjustment you can get. A thousand yards will need about 170 to 190 minutes of angle, depending on the bullet. That may be more than a receiver sight can do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f5cc0f5c66c5a83c83ff5c31e66aa54e.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	254886
    4-500 yards would be fine, actually. In fact, my local rifle range is limited to 200 yards for paper targets and I'm searching for a longer range with gongs anyway. For those super-long shots I have a Pedersoli Sharps with a vernier tang sight. Actually, the High Wall does very well at 100 yards with the factory buckhorn sights, it's my eyes that won't cooperate any more, LOL! That rear buckhorn gets real fuzzy out past 100 and a peep close to my eye would be much more user-friendly, I'm thinking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12