RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First elk! with cast LEE 320 50 cal

Boolit Bub

First elk! with cast LEE 320 50 cal

Just wanted to ad to the effectiveness of cast lead for filling the freezer with my stats.

about a 23 yd shot so not long range....

lee 320gr "minne Ball" R.E.A.L bullet in 50 cal, bore butter, stick on wheel weight cast, quenched in H2O, unsized, no patch, cast weight 316gr,

1-48 twist kentucky CVA rifle, open sights

90gr Equivalent of FF Pyrodex Powder, 1538fps 486 PF

cci #10 cap

Average sized cow elk went about 10 yards and was only up for maybe 10-15 seconds after the shot, broke clean through one rib (#7) and out the other side. bullet was not recovered.

Got some advise and info when i was lurking on here last year after drawing the tag, so THANKS!

Boolit Master
    Congrats! Any pics?

Boolit Bub
    Thanks!

not much to see, i was solo and it gets cold fast !!! seen one cow elk down, seen em all.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well done.

Vendor Sponsor

Very good. Congrats
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    Hey I appreciate it gang, was tough hunt and I was glad to fill my freezer after more than one unsuccesfull big game hunt here in New Mexico.

A couple pics, my 120$ yard sale rifle and the meat in the walk-in mine is the four quarters with the tag on the hook!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PHOTO_20191018_112624.jpg   PHOTO_20191218_150105.jpg  

Very nice, she will eat good!

Boolit Bub
    so far I've been very impressed, started on the steaks and some sausage from the processor. cooking up a pot roast tomorrow with round steak. Its real satisfying after putting in the work.

Boolit Master

rjz5400 that is totally cool as I heard one young fella say as he was paying a complement to my wife on a bike helmet she was wearing for head protection. Your long rifle looks awesome and you obviously know how to get 'er done with the 50 caliber muzzleloader. That hanging meat looks very good as well. I am sure you will enjoy it. So congratulations all the way around for a job well done.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    nice job, thanks for sharing!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    Great for you! I am surprised that REAL loaded and engraved the rifling, as it wasn't pure lead. I used to mold them, once upon a time for a particular T/C Muzzleloader. Only with pure soft lead though. It killed deer well. No bang flops, but they died, as you well know now. I preferred the T/C Maxi Hunter over the REAL for all my other mzlder rifles, though.

Boolit Bub
    I melt the stick on softest weights separate and use that for my slugs and minnies. it sure didnt look like expansion happened, the exit was exactly 50 cal!! never found the bullet, but it did the job thats for sure!!

i cant seat them by hand, i use a hammer at the range or a rock in the field on my ball starter but it is easy with any rod once it is grooved in.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rjz5400 View Post
    I melt the stick on softest weights separate and use that for my slugs and minnies. it sure didnt look like expansion happened, the exit was exactly 50 cal!! never found the bullet, but it did the job thats for sure!!

i cant seat them by hand, i use a hammer at the range or a rock in the field on my ball starter but it is easy with any rod once it is grooved in.
    Have you tried soft lead? I never could get a REAL to shoot consistently, but I've only used soft lead.

Boolit Bub
    I think i am using soft lead? the stick on wheel weights are pretty easily bent by hand i can almost just tear them..... i get very accurate results from the above combo, touching at 25yds 3-5 inches at 50yd and all well inside a 1' circle at 100yds, so like around 8 MOA maybe?

Boolit Master
    Congratulations!

Be careful as may you catch elk fever. It's highly contagious and is generally caught as you are looking down at your first dead elk and thinking "WOW I did it", then "oh my goodness now what do I do". The symptoms vary but include dreaming about elk hunting, watching elk hunting shows, talking incessantly about elk hunting, thinking about new elk rifles and loads, scouting for new elk hunting areas, looking at out-of-state elk regulations. The list goes on and on and there is no known cure as I can attest, I've suffered from it for over fifty years.

Again, congratulations or is it condolences? on your first elk.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

I think i am using soft lead? the stick on wheel weights are pretty easily bent by hand i can almost just tear them..... i get very accurate results from the above combo, touching at 25yds 3-5 inches at 50yd and all well inside a 1' circle at 100yds, so like around 8 MOA maybe?
    My fault, my brain saw clip on wheel weights. I also used SOWW, and got similar accuracy. Congrats on the elk.

Boolit Master

Sweet! if whitetails tasted like elk, they would be extinct here! "Bubba" would be huntin' them off the road at night! Wish we had elk.

Boolit Master
    a short starter is all thats needed to start with a little hand slap no hammers /rocks needed and stick a card/wad underneath the REAL . More than a slap your boolit is too hard/Ed

Boolit Master

Even the softest wheel weights are not nearly as soft as pure lead. This is why you need a mallet or rock to get them started. But you get the job done.
    I had to use the REAL's in the 50 caliber T/C White Mountain Hunter because the 1/20" twist wouldn't shoot the T/C MaxiHunters worth a darn, more like the 8 MOA you are currently getting. Not good enough for my tastes. But the LEE REAL Bullet would tighten that grouping up enough to say, "Time to go hunting." There would be some expansion, too. It is possible pure lead could help in this, as long as they aren't fired at too much velocity. I found with all conicals that anything much over 1,300 fps began to strip out of the rifling of all my T/C muzzleloaders, especially the 1/48" twist barrels. 65 Grains of fffg Goex was my standard load. 70 grains could work but not any better. 75 grains of fffg would sound like a CF rifle and the bullets would fly everywhere. YMMV, though.
    Glad you tagged that elk.

Boolit Grand Master

Everything I've seen has shown stick on wheel weights are 99.75% pure lead, .25% tin. Give or take. That's soft to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast