Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: At least Lee still believes in America

Quote Originally Posted by djryan13 View Post
    I am following the same use practices with my RCBS as I did with my Lee. Lee dripped. RCBS doesn’t. Simple math to me. I shouldn’t have a list of rules to follow (don’t feed it after midnight?) in order for Lee pot to not drip. No one should be putting unclean lead in their pot anyway. I don’t. It drips. Never “cleaned” my RCBS. It’s a well built tool.
    I didn't list any rules, what I said is common sense, don't put dirty ingots and that applies to all. The mod with the plunger is very easy to do and it fixed the problem for me. I see no reason to spend $365 vs $65 when Lee works. I spend money on PID controller, I would spend extra money if I could increase capacity to 40lb but no such option. So what if I get occasional drip, I just put ingot mold or small cast iron pot underneath and it's all good. Can't justify spending $300 extra with no real benefit. I also took Lee Magnum melter ($33 what it cost me for new one) and replaced the pot with bigger stainless steel pot from thrift store ($3) and insulated with ceramic blanket which is covered with aluminum sheet metal. It doesn't have bottom pour but increased capacity about 30lb let's me melt a good batch of alloy. Next step, I got even bigger container I picked up, will put 2 of the Lee heating elements 700 + 700 = 1400 watt, drill the bottom and install bottom pour system similar to lee and than add simple system to hold the pot which will be also insulated with ceramic blanket. Not paying $600, the technology in the pot is not complicated, will be controlled with same PID controller.

I agree with dimaprok on this. The Lee is the best pot you can get for the price.
    I have been thinking about building a large capacity electric pot.
    A local steel seller has a cut off area in the corner. They sell left over scrap pieces of steel by the pound.
    One time they had a 4 foot section of 1/4 thick walled, 12 inch diameter round tubing. I thought about getting it and cutting into three sections and welding a 1/4 thick piece on one end for a pot. Well three pots, sell two. to help cover the cost of building them.
    Use a 4500 watt water heater element bolted up on the bottom. Use the PID I built for heat control. Adding a pour spout and legs to support it. Use this as a pot to clean wheel weights or mix large batches of ingots of one alloy.
    Not sure how much lead a pot 12 inches in diameter 16 inches tall would hold but I'm sure it would hold enough to make a bunch of bullets.
    I bet I could have built all three and came in cheaper than those one of Lyman and RCBS pots.
    I might still do it next time I see some large round tubbing like what was there that day.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    12"X16" would hold 741.19 pounds of pure lead. I question how well a water heating element would hold up to constant use at 600 degrees, but it's an awesome idea.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I guess I don't need a pot that big. I'll try to find a bit smaller tube. I have an old propane tank cut off to use over a propane burner. I might see if I can adapt an element to fit the rounded bottom of that.
    The reason I thought of the water heater elements was I just replaced to ones in my hot water heater.
    4500 watts and around $12 at Lowes. They sell electric stove top elements in various sizes. 4, 6 and 8 inches. Some have more turns for the same size as others. Like 3 turns or 4 turns in the 6 inch size. The 8 inch has like 6 or 8 turns. I don't recall I guess I should have written that stuff down so I'd know now.
    If that 8 inch one with the most turns is flexible enough it may form to the round bottom of that old propane tank.
    If not I might see about cutting the bottom off and getting a plat piece of steel to weld to it. The 8 inch element would not have to flex then.
    I think the ones that have more turns draw more watts so would heat faster.
    They don't have a wattage on the package so I don't know for sure.
    I'll have to do some research on that.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    Here is something to think about. I know it's not what you want, but may spark some ideas. I made this up some years ago:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...1-Lead-Smelter
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I love my Waage K4757. It is a special order item. link here https://www.shootandreload.com/2014/...nace-overview/

I love my 90 pound Magma engineering.

Both US made and the best of their class.
    I've also never heard of the Waage. It seems to me that for the price of one you can get 2 Lee Magnum and still have some left over for lead although not everyone has the room for 2 melters.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I've got 2 both Lee's. One bottom "drip-o-matic" and a 10lb. I don't really mind the drips as I'm not in a hurry. When I get a tower of melt I just drop it back in and take a breather for a minute. For the price I agree with others, Lee makes alot of equipment that allows people like me without much to spare to get into casting and reloading while still turning out a good end product. Without a Lee Whack A Mole I'd never have reloaded my first round

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I've also never heard of the Waage. It seems to me that for the price of one you can get 2 Lee Magnum and still have some left over for lead although not everyone has the room for 2 melters.
    True but before I had my two Waage's I used lee pots for pre-melt. I went through three Lee's with failed heating elements. My bet is my Waage pot will still be in service long after I am gone. Feeding multiple H&G 10 cavities takes lots of lead and heat for extended periods. The Lee's that I owned were not up to the task. I use them for feeding my 90 pound Magma Cast Master.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

True but before I had my two Waage's I used lee pots for pre-melt. I went through three Lee's with failed heating elements. My bet is my Waage pot will still be in service long after I am gone. Feeding multiple H&G 10 cavities takes lots of lead and heat for extended periods. The Lee's that I owned were not up to the task. I use them for feeding my 90 pound Magma Cast Master.
    Oh, well that's a little different than someone melting for a few hundred boolits. I'm not surprised they were not up to the task you set for them as I don't think they were designed for use like that.

Boolit Grand Master
    I must be lucky, I have 3 Lee pots (2 ten pound and one 20 pound). The oldest 10 pound has been in use for 46 years, the other 10 pound modified to dipper use by removing the metering rod and brazing the hole closed. The 20 pound is about 20 years old. None of these have had any problems, and I've cast several tons of boolits with them. I once did an experiment with the older 10 pounder, I had some zinc contaminated alloy, melted it in the pot, and left it on and heating for several days. No damage to the pot, and I learned that zinc can't be separated using this method.

I was going to say a 12" tube will hold a LOT of lead. I remember watching a youtube video of one guy who build such melter using something like 3 heating elements, in the end he said it took 2 hours to melt I think 100lb of lead. I had same idea of using cooktop heating element but than I realized they are 240v not 110 so that's a problem as where I melt there isn't a socket with 220v. Also 4500 Watt will be only possible on 240 Volt or higher. I've seen a build here on the forum a very elegantly made with ton of pictures I saved, a true work of art. The key thing I remember is he used new oven element and bent around the pot and if the element has never been heated it will bend without breaking.

Note to author of project below if you see it and object that I posted pictures - please forgive me I will delete.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160815_194219814.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	255064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161204_195302412.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	255065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161222_172631163.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	255066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161220_194659209.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	255068

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not saying you are wrong, but how many years is an element supposed to last? If you have a need for higher production, a 20 pound lee isn't it. If you cast a "measly" 10,000 bullets a year, a Lee last's a long time. And lets not forget a Lee element is $9. Not exactly a back breaking cost.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm not saying you are wrong, but how many years is an element supposed to last? If you have a need for higher production, a 20 pound lee isn't it. If you cast a "measly" 10,000 bullets a year, a Lee last's a long time. And lets not forget a Lee element is $9. Not exactly a back breaking cost.
    All three of mine failed between 6 and 9 months of medium usage. That was in the late 80's or early 90's. My Magma has been heavily used since that time with zero issues. My Waage's have not been used nearly as much as the Magma but they have been used 10 times what all three Lee were. I used a larger Waage pot at work that only got turned off on weekends. It was there when I started and it was still operating 12 years later when I left.

At the time the heating element was about half the cost of what I paid for the units new. Lee currently lists them for $22 plus shipping https://leeprecision.com/new-heater-500w120v.html
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-20-2020 at 11:00 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I take it you were in a casting business? I only use mine for personal use, about 2-3 hours at a time. My two newer ones are only two years old. My oldest one was inherited, bought in the 80's. Titan reloading lists the element for $9.

I would be surprised if the Magma was not a better pot. It would have to be for that price. I think some people are just sour because they know their Chineese Lyman at 3x the cost is inferior to the $65 Lee pot made in USA.

Boolit Grand Master

No, not in the casting business but between work, Air National Guard, competitive shooting schedule and family when I would cast it would be for 2 or 3 days for 12 to 16 hours a day.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Well that's sure getting it done! I'm pretty well beat after casting for 6 hours straight.

Boolit Bub
    Amen, after my last lyman purchase I swore I would never buy again. I brought a mold that was rust out of the box and miss stamped and overall looked like crap. Screws came pre stripped for 100 bucks! The customer service response was "sorry you dont find our products of quality, have a good one" I sent it back and have not bought a single thing since.

Actually you want this one https://leeprecision.com/heat-120v-stand-20lb.html
    Everything on Lee's website is inflated by at least 30% $$. But if your heating element fails you can contact them and I believe they will send you a replacement for 7 Bucks. If they failed little over half a year it was something seriously wrong, that should not happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    that's good to know. I guess I got bad advice when I started loading (30 years ago) about Lee quality not being up there with lyman, rcbs, hornady. Honestly, the more I use Lee products, the more I like them. IMO I think Hornady has the best blend of quality, price and customer service, but Lee is right there as well. I think Hornady tries to source items from US companies, but I could be wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
    that's good to know. I guess I got bad advice when I started loading (30 years ago) about Lee quality not being up there with lyman, rcbs, hornady. Honestly, the more I use Lee products, the more I like them. IMO I think Hornady has the best blend of quality, price and customer service, but Lee is right there as well. I think Hornady tries to source items from US companies, but I could be wrong.
    I also think Hornady makes good products. I always thought RCBS products, especially their dies were odd. I don't like them at all, but that's a personal preference thing. I don't think much of new Lyman products.

I like Lee the best, Hornady is good too. It just happens Lee is the least expensive, but that's not why I buy their products.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast