Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think this 45LC load will lead up a rifle?

Boolit Buddy

Do you think this 45LC load will lead up a rifle?

Very wary of leading up a rifle barrel that I can't see inside well.

Do you think this load will lead up in the rifle?
    Win. 94, 16 inch, 45 Colt, 250 grain .452 Laser Cast (says Brinell 15), WLP primer, with the maximum published Hodgdon pistol load for 231 (797fps pistol) or Titegroup (830fps pistol)?

Bore has not been slugged, but we hope these are pretty consistent sized bores.

And do you think the Winchester factory 250 grain LRN Cowboy Load (at 750fps pistol) will lead up in the rifle?

Thanks.
    Last edited by tacotime; 01-08-2020 at 11:45 AM.

What is the bore diameter of the rifle? Boolit must fit. The worst leading I ever had was from a hard undersized boolit. I am no fan of the hard lubes used by commercial casters. Looks pretty but not as effective as I would like. I would be tempted to apply JPW or lee liquid lubes to the projectiles assuming they are properly sized but I am a belt and suspenders type of person.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Fit is king. Load is not. If the boolit fits your rifle it won't lead given a normal, published load. Hard boolits tend to lead more than softer ones simply because they don't bump up to fit. Again, fit is king.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Lasercast has a long history of using bullet lube that won't melt or come off in shipping. You can only try it and see. The good news is that leading is removable.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    What is the bore diameter of the rifle? Boolit must fit.
    Groove diameter is much more important.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Tumble lube your Laser-cast bullets in Lee Liquid Alox on top of the useless hard lube which is on them and they won't lead. Hard bullets which cannot upset to seal the bore combined with hard lube which does not flow to coat the bore is a textbook recipe for leading. If unable to cast your own, in the future order soft bullets no harder than 10 BHN with SPG lube on them and they will not lead and you can shoot them at full velocity with either smokeless or black.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Just don’t load up hundreds of them. Shoot some and shine a light down your barrel. If there is leading, stop. If not, keep going.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Tumble lube your Laser-cast bullets in Lee Liquid Alox on top of the useless hard lube which is on them and they won't lead.
    +1 I use about 1500 commercially cast bullets per month, and lube them with 45-45-10 prior to loading.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! 1500 per month!

What brand do you like?

What's the general opinion on the Penn cast bullets?

What do you figure is about right on the BHN hardness scale for mid-range 45LC rifle loads? And I know there are variables, but just generally speaking.

A while back it seemed like the cast bullet sellers were reluctant to post the BHN of their offerings. But I see the Montana 250gr is BHN 22. The Laser Cast says BHN 15. Who shows BHN 10 bullets?
    Last edited by tacotime; 01-08-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Penn Bullets are good.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by tacotime View Post
    What brand do you like?
    I've been using several different brands, but most recently Rim Rock Bullets. I like his prices and shipping. Most brands will shoot good, including Penn.

The guy that owns penn bullets is a real flake. He is one of the reasons I started casting. I guess I should thank him! Missouri bullet company offers alot of 12bhn bullets. They are pretty good for about anything. That is probably the softest you will find.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Both Maplewood & Matt's will work with you on softer alloy bullets . Like Montana Bullet Works they hand cast so they aint the cheapest . I know that Maplewood & MBW use LBT Blue lube , Matt's I don't know . All of these 3 have pretty good selection of moulds also . IIRC MBW will also offer ACWW instead of HT if you ask . If you use OT bullets make sure you get them sized to fit your barrel ( + .002 over bore slug ) & TL them with 45-45-10 . They're harder than woodpecker lips & their lube sucks .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tacotime View Post
    Very wary of leading up a rifle barrel that I can't see inside well.

Do you think this load will lead up in the rifle?
    Win. 94, 16 inch, 45 Colt, 250 grain .452 Laser Cast (says Brinell 15), WLP primer, with the maximum published Hodgdon pistol load for 231 (797fps pistol) or Titegroup (830fps pistol)?

Bore has not been slugged, but we hope these are pretty consistent sized bores.

And do you think the Winchester factory 250 grain LRN Cowboy Load (at 750fps pistol) will lead up in the rifle?

Thanks.
    I've shot a lot of Laser Cast bullets over the years. Did a lot of R&D for the Powder River cartridge Company that was with and used Laser cast bullets. I've shot a lot of Laser cast bullets in my own rifles (45 Colt and 44-40) along with many other rifles in 38/357 and 44 SPL/Mag. Yes, the laser cast bullets with that load will probably lead the M94s barrel to some degree with that load. The solution has already been given; simply TL the bullets in LLA....a light coat will do and let them thoroughly dry before loading.

Yes, the Winchester factory 250 LRN Cowboy load will lead the barrel also. it helps a lot to just with LLA on your fingers to lube the loaded bullet nose....again, let dry thoroughly before use.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Vendor Sponsor

Montana has a BHN 12 alloy and they also have Veral's soft blue lube, they work pretty good, call them and ask if you can get the boolit you want in soft alloy with soft lube.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks... two things...

What would be the expected culprit for the factory Win. 250 grain load at 750fps (revolver) to lead up the bore? Not enough velocity? But aren't they using load at that load in Cowboy Action rifles all the time?

And, the Missouri BC webpage says 12 BHN is only good to about 850 fps. That sounds like trouble shooting in a rifle expecting 1000-1200 fps or so, correct?

Does anyone know if the bore diameters were pretty consistent on the later years Win. 94AE rifles produced in CT after FN took over? The quality on these rifles I have seen are very good.

And does anyone know what the later Mod. 94 bore diameters have been for 45LC?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Tumble lube your Laser-cast bullets in Lee Liquid Alox on top of the useless hard lube which is on them and they won't lead. Hard bullets which cannot upset to seal the bore combined with hard lube which does not flow to coat the bore is a textbook recipe for leading. If unable to cast your own, in the future order soft bullets no harder than 10 BHN with SPG lube on them and they will not lead and you can shoot them at full velocity with either smokeless or black.
    Once more good advice from Outpost75.
    In my experience hi-tek coated are more forgiving than traditional lubed commercial cast bulk bullets.
    But load test rounds and keep your lead removal stuff handy while you expierment

Boolit Grand Master

"What would be the expected culprit for the factory Win. 250 grain load at 750fps (revolver) to lead up the bore? Not enough velocity? But aren't they using load at that load in Cowboy Action rifles all the time?"

Not enough of the right lube.

Yes, they use that load and many others that do lead the bore. In Cowboy action shooting (SASS) accuracy is secondary to speed. Most matches shoot revolvers to about 10 yards max and the leverguns to 25 yards max. The targets are large and have no score rings....you just have to hit the target (usually steel plates) fast. A little, even a lot of leading makes no difference at those ranges.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I size my new vaquero boolits .001” over bore size. I loaded them with a 5.2 grains of trailboss and powder coat them with zero leading. I’m sure they are moving way slower than yours and I can hit quarters at 25 yards with the load consistently. I’m gonna have to run across the chronograph one of these days with that slow load.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I size my new vaquero boolits .001” over bore size. I loaded them with a 5.2 grains of trailboss and powder coat them with zero leading. I’m sure they are moving way slower than yours and I can hit quarters at 25 yards with the load consistently. I’m gonna have to run across the chronograph one of these days with that slow load.
    You mean GROOVE size, for a typical Ruger that is .452-.453"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast