WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats your gun show dream gun?

Boolit Buddy
    I would like a Marlin 1895 Limited III

Just because

Boolit Master

1892 Winchester with half octagon carbine length barrel, blind magazine, ebony inlay in tip of schnobble forearm, and rifle buttplate, caliber 32/20.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    My gunshow dream would be ------be able to go to a show and buy a gun (any gun I like), pay the man the money, put it in my car and drive home unmolested by green voting do gooders and their minions ............ hmmmm is that what they call a pipe dream - when ya dream it but it never can happen?

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    a 788 Rem in 30WCF!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    I would say $450 or so American would be my maximum.

A friend had one in .35 Remington, with an Indian-head penny inletted into the stock. Don’t remember what he paid for it, but he bought it before the “investors” had gotten to that model. I saw one in .25 for a little over twice what I would be willing to pay, in a gun store that went out of business shortly thereafter. Always wondered what happened to it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    a 788 Rem in 30WCF!

Yeah, that was on my wish list too, until I stumbled onto a Winchester M54 .30-30 and then I forgot all about a 788!

Boolit Man
    Winchester model 54 in 7.65...or, Remington model 30 in 7.65....after all he said, if money is no object.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I would say $450 or so American would be my maximum.

A friend had one in .35 Remington, with an Indian-head penny inletted into the stock. Don’t remember what he paid for it, but he bought it before the “investors” had gotten to that model. I saw one in .25 for a little over twice what I would be willing to pay, in a gun store that went out of business shortly thereafter. Always wondered what happened to it.
    I paid more then double that. They are extremely rare with unique actions. I read in articles and forums that the number of them still in action is close to 1000. And that collectors and museums are looking for the remaining serial numbers. They weren't well documented.

Boolit Buddy
    P-08 or C96 (Broomhandle) even though shows I go to have decent amount of p-08s they are outside of my price range

My personal gun show "dream gun" varies from day to day, week to week, month to month, and gun show to gun show, but the last one of interest that I spotted at a recent gun show was an "as new" C. Sharps 1874 Hartford Sporter in .50-70 Government c/w dies, brass, and bullets all in a hard case ... and it came home with me!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Winchester 95 in .405 or 30-40 Krag would nicely . Also any version of the 88 or a 71 . Revolver would be a Smith Triplelock in .44 spl with any of the shorter barrels and target sighted since we are going for the gold and money is not a factor .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I paid more then double that. They are extremely rare with unique actions. I read in articles and forums that the number of them still in action is close to 1000. And that collectors and museums are looking for the remaining serial numbers. They weren't well documented.
    Last one I saw listed at auction was expected to bring between $1100 and $1800 , that was in 2014 . I think they were only cataloged for two years .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

My "dream" is to find a 1917 S&W military or civilian that you don't have to mortgage the farm to buy. OR...a Rem 788 in 44mag like the one I foolishly traded away in my callow youth.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    My "Dream Gun" is a Ruger Standard Auto MKIV Target in .25ACP for LEGAL purchase in California.

Sadly, I don't thikn it will happen anytime soon.

Chev. William

Well... I went today. I always go up every row 100 times just to make sure. My girlfriend doesn't find me funny...

I saw a sharps 50-90. It caught my eye on the first walk up the row. I walked down two other rows and had to go back to see the rifle. TO LATE. it was sold. a man in his 30's kissed the rifle saying that it was his dream to own one. 2100$. Damn... Silver forend cap, octagon barrel..etc.
    Several winchester 1885 replicas. I would really love an original large bore like the sharps, but no luck....
    there was a nice 1895 with some blue left on the barrel in .35 win. Not familiar with the cartridge. 1100$

They did not make one but if we are dreaming a Browning A-5 Belgium in 410 ga.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Bub
    I feel kind of guilty because I have at least a couple of the "dream guns" named here and I got them cheap.

But one that I won't have to wish for was one that I got two years ago. A fellow member of my pistol club brought down an old Winchester 1894 to sell to our range on a Saturday when there were were only a few people there. He ask if I was interested in a Winchester 94. At first I said no, I ready had one. Then I noticed that it was a take down model. And then I noticed it had a half magazine and a pistol grip stock. On closer inspection I saw a Lyman model 21 sight.

The seller said "make me an offer." I said $300 and he said OK. He agreed to wait while I raced to the the bank and the ATM. When I got back to the range we concluded our deal and I took my new rifle home wrapped in an old blanket I had in my trunk. (The $300 didn't include the case.)

What I got was a well worn but not abused 1906 vintage Winchester Model 1894 Extra LightWeight take down rifle with a 22 inch barrel in .30-30. The bore , after cleaning, is shiny and like new. The rifle is as light as a carbine and handles like a fly rod. The gun is a joy to shoot with mild castloads , either 90 grain bullets for indoor gallery shooting or 170 grain cast bullets out doors at 100 yards.

I realized thai would never find something like this rifle at a gun show. Smarter and quicker buyers than me would have snapped it up in an instant. I guess I have used up all my luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MFGordon View Post
    I feel kind of guilty because I have at least a couple of the "dream guns" named here and I got them cheap.

But one that I won't have to wish for was one that I got two years ago. A fellow member of my pistol club brought down an old Winchester 1894 to sell to our range on a Saturday when there were were only a few people there. He ask if I was interested in a Winchester 94. At first I said no, I ready had one. Then I noticed that it was a take down model. And then I noticed it had a half magazine and a pistol grip stock. On closer inspection I saw a Lyman model 21 sight.

The seller said "make me an offer." I said $300 and he said OK. He agreed to wait while I raced to the the bank and the ATM. When I got back to the range we concluded our deal and I took my new rifle home wrapped in an old blanket I had in my trunk. (The $300 didn't include the case.)

What I got was a well worn but not abused 1906 vintage Winchester Model 1894 Extra LightWeight take down rifle with a 22 inch barrel in .30-30. The bore , after cleaning, is shiny and like new. The rifle is as light as a carbine and handles like a fly rod. The gun is a joy to shoot with mild castloads , either 90 grain bullets for indoor gallery shooting or 170 grain cast bullets out doors at 100 yards.

I realized thai would never find something like this rifle at a gun show. Smarter and quicker buyers than me would have snapped it up in an instant. I guess I have used up all my luck.
    Your luck doesn't run it. Its luck that finds you...

Yes, an original Winchester 71 would also fulfill a dream.

Boolit Grand Master

Winchester 1886 45-90. Case hardened.

Second up would be one I sold and continue to wish I had back. Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 in 300 H&H. Not because of what a sweet gun it is, certainly that, but because of the story. He was a Canadian and when back from WW2 scrimped and saved then bought it to feed his family on carbou, moose and bear as times were tough.
    Last edited by jonp; 01-12-2020 at 03:16 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast