WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: 03A3 clipping boolit noses.

Boolit Master

03A3 clipping boolit noses.

I'm using the Lee 170 RNFP (shoots great!) seated to the crimp grove. Rounds from the right side of the mag feed fine. Rounds from the left catch the nose of the boolit in the notch for the extractor and clip a very small piece of lead off. I've tried different seating depths with no change. I haven't tested to see how it affects groups as I usually single load. Might not be too bad for accuracy, but wanted to see if there was a simple fix I may be overlooking. Not sure if the round nose version of the boolit would be any better.

Boolit Master
    Had that issue with the Lyman 311041 in the A3, switched to the 311291 and it fed fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Unless you want to change/alter the feed rail of the action the only solution is to switch to a more rounded nose bullet , such as the 311291 mentioned. That is the problem with many larger meplat bullets in many bolt guns. When loads are developed they are fed one at a time and all goes well. Then with a magazine the bullet nose clipping occurs or the nose jams into the extractor cut when the cartridge is fed from the left side in particular. That usually occurs at the worst time such as when hunting......

It's another reason I prefer to use rounder nosed cast bullets that are cast softer and HP'd than to depend on a large meplat for terminal effect. Reliable feeding is of great importance in some uses.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Had that issue with the Lyman 311041 in the A3, switched to the 311291 and it fed fine.
    I to shoot the Lyman 311291.
    Awesome accuracy from my 03A3
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master

Picked up the Lee 200 Round nose. Feeds like butter. Makes the slightest little mark on the nose of the boolit, but nothing that would affect accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    The only casting I've done so far is for percussion rifles and pistols. I don't own a sizer\lubricator (yet). So I'm collecting info before investing in this equipment.

Can one "paint" the Lyman 311291 with good results?

Thanks, Andy
    Last edited by Andy45; 02-14-2020 at 08:43 PM.