Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxADvertise here
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How would this Accurate mold work as a 12 ga slug?

  1. #1
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    120

    How would this Accurate mold work as a 12 ga slug?

    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=68-545A-D.png

    Think this might work as a component swap (one for one) from a Lyman sabot recipe?

    I like the Sabot but I want to order a mold for my master caster. Unable to get a Lyman sabot mold for that equipment.

    Looking to hit steel 6-10 steel targets at 100 with my Vepr 12. The Lyman sabot load I have is fantastic at that but I go through so many rounds I want to speed up production.

  2. #2
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,625
    It would be safe to use Lyman sabot slug data using caution, however, it would not be a direct swap. The 68-545 is a shorter bullet than the Lyman sabot slug. This can be worked around with spacers. The bigger problem is that the Veper 12, as best as I can tell, is a smooth bore. You wouldn't be able to hit a 10" steel gong at 50 yards with that bullet. The Lyman sabot slug is a hollow base that will stabilize from a smooth bore.

    If you are willing to pay for it, you could have Tom at Accurate molds cut you a copy of the Lyman sabot slug as a nose pour for hollow base conversion. You would have to provide him the dimensions of the slug. You would then have it shipped to Erik Ohlen of Hollowpoint molds. He can make you an inset bar conversion for Magma master caster. Erik advertises this conversion for a two cavity at $175.

    If you are not willing to pay the $300 or so, you could try a .735" round ball. You can expect about 4" groups at 50 yards, maybe 12" at 100.

  3. #3
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    120
    Thanks for the info. Actually, one of my Vepr 12s has a rifled bore section (gunsmith cut/threaded barrel and added a threaded barrel extension).

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,625
    Perfect, then it should work well. Another option I forgot is this group buy. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...D-Slug-HB-Mold

    A bit lighter, but not by much. 490 grains should hurt your steel plate plenty.

  5. #5
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Perfect, then it should work well. Another option I forgot is this group buy. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...D-Slug-HB-Mold

    A bit lighter, but not by much. 490 grains should hurt your steel plate plenty.
    Is there a Master Caster option?

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,625
    Whoops, I assumed an MP molds could work. It seems that they do not make a master caster version.

  7. #7
    Vendor Sponsor

    W.R.Buchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ojai CA
    Posts
    7,849
    MP moulds has the moulds for these slugs at $100 in either a regular size or full bore size.

    https://www.mp-molds.com/product-cat..._caliber=12-ga

    He will also make a machine mould but you'd have to talk to him about it.

    https://www.mp-molds.com/product-cat...machine-molds/

    I personally don't see a use for a machine mould as you'd never make enough of these to justify setting up the machine. I made 150 in 2 hours with a regular hand held mould and a RCBS bottom pour furnace.

    Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

  8. #8
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    120
    Mihec says the mold body is too big. I was hoping for the same thing. I can shoot 50-75 in a sitting. More if I have friends with me. To be honest, I can keep up with that rate in the single cavity Lyman but I just like the idea of running it on the Magma.


    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    MP moulds has the moulds for these slugs at $100 in either a regular size or full bore size.

    https://www.mp-molds.com/product-cat..._caliber=12-ga

    He will also make a machine mould but you'd have to talk to him about it.

    https://www.mp-molds.com/product-cat...machine-molds/

    I personally don't see a use for a machine mould as you'd never make enough of these to justify setting up the machine. I made 150 in 2 hours with a regular hand held mould and a RCBS bottom pour furnace.

    Randy

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,625
    Another option, NOE makes a 4 cavity Lyman sabot slug clone. Not everyone likes the NOE style pins, I've had no trouble with them. They are not as nice as an inset bar style, but they are much better than the handle style like you've been using. Plus it's a 4 cavity.

  10. #10
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    120
    Gosh... I posted a thread on their forum asking for that years ago. I also sent them an email. Didn’t realize they finally did it. OOS of course...


    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Another option, NOE makes a 4 cavity Lyman sabot slug clone. Not everyone likes the NOE style pins, I've had no trouble with them. They are not as nice as an inset bar style, but they are much better than the handle style like you've been using. Plus it's a 4 cavity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check