Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about the Ruger 1 & 3 , 1885 clones , Contender Carbine

Boolit Master
    In the early years Ruger didn't make their own barrels.I heard they used barrels from different manufacturers. So the quality was kinda spotty and you never knew whose barrel you had. Mine is .459 at the start of the throat. And has two constrictions in the barrel. One is where the barrel mounted sling swivel is located and the other is where the front sight is located. So am seriously thinking of getting it fitted with a 24" barrel and throated as well. Don't think that there is enough wood in the Alexander Henry forend to allow it to take an octagon barrel of about a Winchester #3 weight barrel.Thanks,Frank

Boolit Master
    My bicentennial Ruger 77 in .458, has a groove diameter of .4595. So I guess mine was one of the outside made barrels. Shoots good though, although I have to make the bullets big.

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    That's a Winchester/Browning Miroku???

That style looks more like a high quality clone of an original?

This is the Miroku Low Wall I am familiar with, are they making models more true to the original now?
    Winchester/Miroku

Attachment 254531
    OR ... that looks for all the world to me to be a Uberti low wall ... sounds like it too with the oversize chamber.

Boolit Master
    About 1985 I bought a USED Ruger #1 (that appeared unfired) from a gun shop . The dealer said the original owner shot it 3 times and stored it in his safe until he traded it off. I bought it and it would not keep 5 shots on a 24"x 24" target at 100 yards. My only attempt missed the paper with 2 out of 5 shots. The 3 shots that hit paper made an 18" group. I found 2 tight spots in the bore. One was .001 at the sling band and the other was .0015 at the front sight band. I sent my rifle back to Ruger and they installed a new barrel including rebluing. They also tested my rifle on a target and sent me the group with the rifle. The new barrel was installed and tested FREE of charge. That barrel shoots normally now.
    If you have accuracy problems with you barrel with tights spots just send it back to Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    In the early years Ruger didn't make their own barrels.I heard they used barrels from different manufacturers. So the quality was kinda spotty and you never knew whose barrel you had. Mine is .459 at the start of the throat. And has two constrictions in the barrel. One is where the barrel mounted sling swivel is located and the other is where the front sight is located. So am seriously thinking of getting it fitted with a 24" barrel and throated as well. Don't think that there is enough wood in the Alexander Henry forend to allow it to take an octagon barrel of about a Winchester #3 weight barrel.Thanks,Frank
    EDG

I have a Browning High Wall in .45/70 and a Contender in .35 Remington (14" ported). Both are keepers in my book. The Browning is the highest quality rifle I own and shoots like a dream.
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Master
    the single shot pictured is a Pedersoli high wall
    go on their web site and they have 2 version
    one with the lever pictured above and one with a S type lever

Boolit Buddy
    Well I ran into a deal on a T/C Encore stainless with a bunch of barrels . Probably a more practical choice for woods / hunting . While the Ruger & High / Low walls are gorgeous classics in reality not very practical for my intended use . Thanks for all your input as I've learned quite a bit .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12