RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about Pancakes

Boolit Master

How about Pancakes

We got biscuits and corn bread so how about some good pancakes. That would round out some good food for the soul. Wife/grandma makes the pancakes for the grandkids so I have not much of an idea how she does them.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use the recipe on the King Arthur flour bag.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...ancakes-recipe
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I prefer waffles.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    I prefer waffles.
    The King Arthur recipe linked above makes great waffles too!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Believe it or not Hungry Jack makes great griddle cakes.

Moderator Emeritus

2 cups sourdough, 1 egg, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp cooking oil. I add 1 cup whole wheat flour sifted, and 1/3 -1/2 cup milk depending on how thick of a dough you like. Add the dry ingredients to the sourdough except the soda. Mix the milk in, mix the oil and egg together but do not add it to the rest of the ingredients. You should have a good sourdough smell to the batter so add the soda and stir. Wait two minutes then add the egg/oil mix. Cook on a cast iron griddle greased with bacon fat or what ever else is around the house.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Waffles for the win here too ... just prefer them ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Moderator Emeritus

I like the sourdough too.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Buddy
    First, I don't have the recipe but when my son was going through Scouts we hiked sections of the Appalachian Trail twice each year. We section hiked and had a base camp. Our anointed camp chef, Hop-Sing made banana pancakes every Sunday morning. After a rough Saturday hike it was hard for the adults and the boys to roll out of their bags for another days tough hike...the smell of cooking bacon and sausage didn't bring them out but when the smell of those banana pancakes hit their noses they quickly formed a line to chow down! He used a basic scratch mix and added finely diced good and ripe bananas to the batter. Y'all need to try it.

Moderator Emeritus

I do big batches of whole wheat(I grind the flour) waffles and freeze them. Pop a frozen one back in the waffle iron to reheat/crisp it up.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    We got biscuits and corn bread so how about some good pancakes. That would round out some good food for the soul. Wife/grandma makes the pancakes for the grandkids so I have not much of an idea how she does them.
    My better-half makes her pancakes/waffles from scratch....they are sooooo light they float off of the plate!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

I like Krusteaz pancake mix. Best pre mix I have found. My cooking skills are basically if edible and above I dun good but never heard a complaint on the pancakes.

Boolit Master

Wow, I just got hungry! I make more waffles than pancakes, but of late I will make 2 or 3, and the rest becomes waffles. My recipe is a basic one from an old cookbook the likes of which is reprinted on flour bags and many other books. When I make waffles I run the batter thin so there is more bubbles for crispy texture and it makes more waffles. Real Maple syrup or Agave Syrup, none of that wanna be syrup.

My grand kids love their 'papa waffles' and they live less than a mile from here. I usually make a full batch of waffles and then head over. Then I start another batch at their house because they like helping. That and I don't buy bananas so I never have any that are destined for waffle making. I also cook and crumble bacon into some waffles, mostly for my son-in-law. I also on occasion scramble an egg which fills one-half of a Belgian waffle maker. Slap that egg between two waffles. My daughter doesn't really eat the waffles but she will eat a Belgian Egg. My SIL sometimes cooks some weird things in his waffle iron but he is a professional chef.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HodakaGA View Post
    First, I don't have the recipe but when my son was going through Scouts we hiked sections of the Appalachian Trail twice each year. We section hiked and had a base camp. Our anointed camp chef, Hop-Sing made banana pancakes every Sunday morning. After a rough Saturday hike it was hard for the adults and the boys to roll out of their bags for another days tough hike...the smell of cooking bacon and sausage didn't bring them out but when the smell of those banana pancakes hit their noses they quickly formed a line to chow down! He used a basic scratch mix and added finely diced good and ripe bananas to the batter. Y'all need to try it.
    I make mine puréeing the bananas with a fork or the kitchen boat motor, mix banana, oil and milk, then add to dry stuff. Black bananas give the most flavor.

ETA. I only buy mix for camp trips. It stupid easy to make pancakes from scratch. One less item to stock in the cupboard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C1CC573-C6D8-4C09-BFFF-84E92EDB923D.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	254752
    Been using this one all my life literally add any sort of berries blackberrys, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, apple bits, etc will fill you up and keep ya that way most of the day

Boolit Master
    I made some last week. I get the Aunt Jemima complete mix, but don't follow the instructions. I'll add an egg and milk, and last week I added lactose free milk. My suggestion would be to not try that. But a bit of regular milk and an egg or two will get some fluffy pancakes. Use a whisk rather than a fork or mixing spoon, and if you really want fluffy light pancakes put your batter in a blender or one of those home milkshake machines.
    A pat of butter on each pancake and syrup of your choice, be it maple, cane patch or Log Cabin and a decent cup of coffee and you're set!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Back in 1972, my family, Aunt Uncle and cousins, best friend's family (4 kids) all went camping. I didn't help that my best friend was 2 doors down, and my cousins were across the street. This 'tradition' lasted many years. One morning, my best friend's mom made up some cakes, mom did bacon and eggs, aunt did some breakfast potatoes. Yup, 3 Coleman stoves going and glowing.

My friend's mom made pancakes with a common batter mix, but tossed in a handful of chocolate chips. Pancakes were tasty of course, but the bits of melted chocolate were a surprise, a first for me (I was only 10). In later years other things got tossed in like berries, diced apple, and so on.

Flash forward to 35 years old. My wife fixed up some pancakes. Not being a real syrup fan anymore I wasn't surprised there was none on the table. Syrup would not go along with her addition that morning, diced Jalapeno chilies. Since then I've done milder like Ortega and wilder like Habenero. Call it weird, I called it a refreshing twist for the palette.

Dad liked hot and spicy for as long as I can remember. One day my wife pulled out some salsa for the table serving breakfast with eggs and bacon and such. Dad spoons some Dave's Insanity Sauce on his eggs, several spoon fulls actually. As tears filled his eyes I said 'I warned you.' My youngest daughter grabbed a chip and got a big scoopful. Dad tried to say 'that's pretty hot' before she put it in her mouth. She grabbed another chip and another scoop 'Pretty good, huh Grandpa.' She was five. Gotta love that kid. (she's 25 now)
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

How about Pancakes

I like Daves myself. Had a young man grab my bottle and go crazy with it. I told him that it was hot. Didn’t know a person of color could turn red! When my daughter was around 3 I was eating a jalapeño with my food and she asked for my “pickle”. Being a good dad of course I gave it to her. She seemed a bit surprised ……I haven’t done that yet to her boys...

I’ll dig out my recipe and share it here. Home mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me always make the mix for pancakes and waffles from scratch.That is how I was taught.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

My recipe is $4.99 All You Can Eat Pancakes at local IHOP .
    I'm lazy and don't like washing dishes, pots , pans etc. ... for that price , and it includes syrup , they do the cooking and wash all the dishes...what's not to like !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast