Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman 12ga Slug weight?

Boolit Man

Lyman 12ga Slug weight?

So cast some Lyman slugs up the other day. Checked weight and these average around 500 gr not 525 gr. Any suggestions? Safe to load or should I dump these back in the pot?

Banned
    Greetings DDRanch, why waste your own efforts by dumping them back after casting, you should be happy as it will not kick as much and better yet will be faster ! ! I always cast mine with WW and my too are 500 gr.
    I would have been even happier had they been 460 gr.

You will need to put a .125 nitro card based on the wad you choose it could be 16 ga or 20 ga in wad below the slug to give it a firm base at launch and to raise the slug as shown in the picture to help open up the fold crimp without mangling the wad petals.

I'll leave it at that for now as you did not mention what king of gun and barrel you have.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Man
    AJay

Thanks for tips. After doing a little searching seems like there are other casters getting around 500 gr slugs.

Will be ordering some nitro cards as well.

Thanks

00Ranch: Also you might consider filling the hollow with hot glue (make sure the base is trimmed flat) before seating the slug over the nitro card. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

If you cast with pure lead they "should" be about 525 grs. but if cast from wheelweights will definitely be lighter. I'd use the listed loads for the 525 gr. weight and you have a bit of a built in safety margin with the underweight slug.

500 grs. is only 5% lighter so shouldn't make much difference and is "safer" with the slug being lighter than listed.

You could search for RB and slug loads for approx. 500 gr. to get a bit more performance but it would be marginal at best.

Longbow

Boolit Master

my accuracy.improved noticeably when I switchef to soft lead with no other changes. Perhaps not so much a function of weight but less shrinkage, thus a tighter fit.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Bub
    the softer lead obturates easier which results in better accuracy

I just started using my Mihec Lyman Slug clone. I weighed 5 of mine and they all were 504 gr made from WW material.

That mould makes perfect slugs! and did it from the 3rd pour on, and I made 150 in my first sitting with no losses! The guy makes nice moulds!!!!.

I load these in the Federal Low Recoil Blue Hulls I pick up at my shotgun classes at Front Sight. Do yourself a favor and buy one of the pick up tools with the suction cups from Harbor Freight $10. Saves bending over to pick up cases or anything you drop.

I came up with a method of restoring these hulls to like new condition by using the Standard Tapered Plug in my cordless drill and then shooting a Heat Gun against the "hull" to heat it while it is turning and then pushing it all the way onto the plug. They come out perfect, and roll crimp closed like factory rounds. See Pics.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-09-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Man
    W.R.
    Got a link where you got your Standard Tapered Plug you use in your cordless drill?

I made it, but BPI has something you can buy. https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Sp...tinfo/SPINDOC/

Heat Gun can come from Harbor Freight for $10-15. https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=Heat%20gun

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Man
    So what is the better way to go, crimped or trim shell case and roll crimp?

Quote Originally Posted by DDRanch View Post
    So what is the better way to go, crimped or trim shell case and roll crimp?
    That is totally up for debate. Some get better results Fold Crimped some get better results Roll Crimped. I personally like Roll Crimping better but I am loading previously Roll Crimped hulls or new hulls. I just think they look better and my shooting results with STI slugs have yielded the best group of anything I've shot out of a shotgun.(Rifled Barrel)

I load my Pumpkin Balls in my standard Trap loads with a fold crimp done on my DL266 loader.

I do the first part of the Lyman Slugs on that loader IE: size deprime, reprime, drop powder, install wad, and then finish with a Roll Crimp. These provide a level of accuracy that is sufficient for my uses for these slugs shot from my Smooth Bore guns out to 50-60 yards.

Randy

Boolit Man
    WR?

What tools are you using to roll crimp with. Also do you trim new hulls or are they all ready the right length?

Also would like the dimensions of your taper cone tool. I would like to turn a few on my lathe.

BPI roll crimper. Roll crimp compensates automatically to stack height.

3/4 round bar 3" long with a taper down to about 5/8" with a 1/4 shank to put in the drill. It needs to be smooth.

Note the hull rotates with the tool and all you do is push it up onto the 3/4" section as the plastic heats up, and then you're done.
    Remove, set aside, and repeat.

You don't need much heat for the reforming to take place.

Randy

Boolit Man
    WR, Thanks