RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 1/2" at what range

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I have been trying to reload match grade 22lr...Haven't tested but I am sure I am no where near there yet. Getting the bullet (powder coated then swaged) to good dimensions but still lots of refinement in other areas. Especially crimping. Question: Have you noticed a difference in the hardness of bullets?
    I started out making them harder (around 10 bhn) but since seeing this picture I have opted to go back to soft lead because of the obturation of base to rifling. Notice how the hollow base expanded the sides of the bullet to fill the rifling:
    Attachment 255601
    rimfire bullets are all under 1% antimony. almost but not quite dead soft.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    And I would assume the alloy hardness must vary from lot to lot as well. The CCI stingers that I posted a picture of with my nice tight little group at 50 yards the first time I tried it I went out and tried on a couple of squirrels and the bullets zipped through like full metal jacket‘s. I’ve read hundreds of posts that they blow things apart. Not mine, I couldn’t even see the entrance hole in the head of a squirrel I shot at 12 to 15 yards. They’re accurate though, as long as I hit them in the head we’re good.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-28-2020 at 11:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    rimfire bullets are all under 1% antimony. almost but not quite dead soft.
    No, not all are "dead soft"....apparently. When HP or Nasty Nosing I have found some that were very hard. One lot of CCI CB caps that are so hard the bullet gets pushed into the case instead of swaging...… I have found some of the cheaper copper plated 22LRs that seem to have HT'd the bullets during the copper plating process(?). These are the HV type and the nose on some will crack and split when HP'd.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

yes it is copper plating, and yes those will split as the copper itself cracks and splits apart as the lead is bonded to it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345