Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1/2" at what range

Like I said my Marlin will at 25. My German rifles will at 50 but not consistently with bulk ammo because of flyers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Are you stating it shoots 1/2" group are 50 or what the OP is asking? The OP is asking at what distance you can put all shots INSIDE a 1/2" circle. To do that you need to shoot a sub .278 group.
    You are damn right you have to shoot a sub .278 " group, rarely does a group center perfectly on the point of aim. What the OP is really asking is at what range can you always shoot a perfect score with an X ring that is a 0.056" dot. One click on a typical scope is 0.125" at 50 yards so you are going to be holding off a bit on both windage and elevation. I originally said no problem at 25 yards but I think maybe I was too quick to jump. I still think I can do it quite often at 25 yards but I am not so sure it is as easy as I thought.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    "I still think I can do it quite often at 25 yards but I am not so sure it is as easy as I thought."

Words that are TRUE!

I never realized how true this is until I started playing them posted games on Rimfire Central! Sometimes it took 2 boxes of ammo, several targets, and all morning, to make the cut! I had lots and lots of photo proof on RFC until photo bucket screwed everyone over and my pictures where lost!
    Last edited by Thundarstick; 01-09-2020 at 07:21 AM.

Boolit Master

Best I've managed was when I had the opportunity to shoot my old Winchester 52B on a 100 yard indoor range. Prone, shooting coat, sling, and a 16x Unertl, I was able to drop 10 rounds of Eley Team (basically factory seconds or thirds off the Ten-X production line) into 5/8".

My CZ452 has held 1/2" consistently at 50 yards with Wolf Match Target, but it took replacement of the sear to de-creep the trigger.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I've been playing around with 2 essentially stock .22LR guns the past 2 summers trying to see just how good I can get them to group. Other than trigger refinement, the guns are factory spec. One is my 35 year old 10/22 Sporter. The other is my 3 year old Ruger American Rimfire. My best efforts with both are right around 1/2 inch. I say right around because I've never actually measured the groups. I save them all in a three ring binder, sorted by ammo. I'm really interested in seeing just how well I can get these average rifles to shoot with good but affordable ammo. So while I have benched some 10X, RWS,SK etc. I wouldn't actually shoot that on a regular basis. I've found two inexpensive rounds that consistently shoot well if I do my part:. CCI Mini Mags, and CCI Blazers.

I further played around with those two rounds by rim sorting and uniforming the bullets wit Paco Kelly's Acc'rizer. The jury is still out on this. It hasn't necessarily made the ammo shoot better, but it may make it more consistent. More testing is scheduled for this summer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    I've been playing around with 2 essentially stock .22LR guns the past 2 summers trying to see just how good I can get them to group. Other than trigger refinement, the guns are factory spec. One is my 35 year old 10/22 Sporter. The other is my 3 year old Ruger American Rimfire. My best efforts with both are right around 1/2 inch. I say right around because I've never actually measured the groups. I save them all in a three ring binder, sorted by ammo. I'm really interested in seeing just how well I can get these average rifles to shoot with good but affordable ammo. So while I have benched some 10X, RWS,SK etc. I wouldn't actually shoot that on a regular basis. I've found two inexpensive rounds that consistently shoot well if I do my part:. CCI Mini Mags, and CCI Blazers.

I further played around with those two rounds by rim sorting and uniforming the bullets wit Paco Kelly's Acc'rizer. The jury is still out on this. It hasn't necessarily made the ammo shoot better, but it may make it more consistent. More testing is scheduled for this summer.
    1/2 inch at what range, I expect it is not 100 yards

Tim

Boolit Master

Oh jeesh I'm sorry! Yes, I'm shooting at 50 yards!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Oh jeesh I'm sorry! Yes, I'm shooting at 50 yards!
    Still nice shooting and believable. It is too bad that 1/2 at 50 with a 22 lr does not turn out to be 1 inch at a 100 very often.

Boolit Master
    my 1022 will do half inch at 25 but my martini international will do that at 50 easily .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    does not turn out to be 1 inch at a 100 very often.
    Schuetzen Society - Bath,NY - Aug 16 & 17 ... 22 Rimfire 100yd Bench Rest Groups:
    Gary Jacobs - .315
    Jim Peck - .426

Beeson Range, Summer Match - 22 RF 100yds Bench Rest
    CD Persons - .508
    Jim Rowe - .528
    Jim Anderson - .555
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Schuetzen Society - Bath,NY - Aug 16 & 17 ... 22 Rimfire 100yd Bench Rest Groups:
    Gary Jacobs - .315
    Jim Peck - .426

Beeson Range, Summer Match - 22 RF 100yds Bench Rest
    CD Persons - .508
    Jim Rowe - .528
    Jim Anderson - .555
    Yep, that is some short lists of some nice group shooting. Are those aggregates or single groups and are they 10 shots or 5.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master

OP

Are you meaning put 5 shots inside a .5" circle already on the target? Or are you meaning shoot a 5 shot group that will fit inside a .5" circle put around the group after it was shot?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Draw a 1/2" circle and then put 5 shots inside that circle WITHOUT touching the circle.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I would assume if you can find a gun and load combo that groups 5 inside .5” at 50 yards you’re good to go IMO. I’m sure there are a select few rifle and ammo combos That could do better but probably not consistently. In my opinion there’s just too many variables with factory loaded rimfire loads no matter if they’re expensive or cheap. I’m sure some rifles and ammo can shoot less than half inch groups at 50 yards but I’m guessing not consistently...every time. I’d tell you to work with your gun and buy a bunch of ammo and go out and have fun and shoot a bunch of groups at 50 yards and see what you come up with. Check your action torque settings and lighten your trigger a little bit if you can. A good optic is a must in my opinion. When I took my ultra lux out when I first got it the winter before last I was shooting a 2 x 7 VX1 with a parallax sitting at 150 yards. It was awful fuzzy at 50 yards and I still shot a half inch group with my cheap bulk ammo. The cheap $40 Tasco 3 x 9 mill dot I replaced it with sure is a lot crisper but I bet you if I had a higher powered scope on it that would go to 14 or 16 X it gives me the confidence of a zoomed up clear picture to help tighten my groups. I can see what I’m aiming at them.

I’m sure the really expensive target guns will do it with expensive ammo at 100 yards but most of us don’t have those. If it were me I’d be happy to shoot that tight at half to 3/4 the distance. I just want to be minute of squirrel head. I have a few centerfire rifle’s that’ll do that at 200 yards all day long but rimfires are a whole different game.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-25-2020 at 09:39 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Draw a 1/2" circle and then put 5 shots inside that circle WITHOUT touching the circle.
    That certainly changes the dynamics as doing so requires not only precision but accuracy also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

At what range will your, more or less out of the box gun, shoot into a 1/2" circle? Not a 1/2" group, but all of the shots, (at least 5 consecutive) INSIDE a 1/2" circle. A few minor modifications, such as trigger adjustment/change, bedding, etc. are acceptable for this conversation but I'm really not interested in full blown custom built guns. Stock target rifles and "high end" rifles are included in my "box" gun definition as long as they are that, stock.

I have found a new to me, game, that is a great deal of fun to shoot and am curious as what you folks have for rifle/ammo combinations that will meet the 1/2" criteria.
    My ranch rifle with hard cast bullets in 7.62X39 will do 1.5 inches at 100 yards. With good handloads and jacketed bullets in the 125 range will do about .5 to .4 inches at 100 yards.

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    I know its the internet but I think some people need to get off the computer and go shoot.All shots inside 1/2 " not touching the outside circle at fifty yards is very very hard not 1/2 group ctc there are a lot more guns that won't do it then there are that will.And your not doing it with bulk ammo.And one fluke group doesn't make an average.

Boolit Grand Master

That is a very difficult quest, especially if talking 50+ yards with any 22 LR. Apparently, many don't appreciate of understand the difference between "precision" and "accuracy" or how this quest applies to both.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

As I understand the definitions as applied to rifle shooting.
    Precision is the ability to put bullets into a very small group repeatedly and on demand.
    Accuracy is the ability to put that group where you want it.

Boolit Grand Master

Correct tazman and that combines to make this quest quite difficult, especially at 50 yards...
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast