RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre-`64 action restoration?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    contact John Taylor on this site, pre 64' model 70's is his thing
    My "thing" is making/ restoring barrels. Thanks for recommending me. I do get a few model 70's in for filling holes where there should not be a hole. These are usually sent in by other shops that restore model 70's. Try Wrights gun shop, 229-322-8351, he specializes in refinish of model 70's.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    My "thing" is making/ restoring barrels. Thanks for recommending me. I do get a few model 70's in for filling holes where there should not be a hole. These are usually sent in by other shops that restore model 70's. Try Wrights gun shop, 229-322-8351, he specializes in refinish of model 70's.
    Yeah I saw the screw hole work you do, Figured you would know a good bluing guy if you didn't do it yourself, and I was right!!!
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Bub
    Check out Glen Rock Bluing at gunbluing.com

reasonable prices and good work

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    I have some stainless steel wool that really works well to remove rust. I would rub it down with that then oxphoblue it, oil it down and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

Boolit Buddy
    Look up Anvil on Utube. He shows about boiling in water to change rust into black oxide then removing black oxide with oil free steel wool or a cording wheel. Episode 035 & 036, To blue or not to blue.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Any of the pre '64 actions a far as I know did not have the gloss finish that the later ones have. I at one time or another had about 6 of them. All had the matte finish and ever my post '64 M70 match rifle the action has the matte finish. Although the barrel does have a higher polish than let's say my 1949 M70 standard in 30-06. I would never have done a high polish on a pre'64 action. Very find glass beads and lower air pressure to get a matte finish. Color match might be difficult to get though. Couple years back I had a chopped 1917 in '06 D&T for scope bases. Then bead blasted and blued. Both barrel and action came out almost black. Now if I send out another firearm I'm getting the same treatment as I like it. One smith with whom I spoke with does bead blasting with an iron oxide finish, he claims it matches the matte finish on old M70's. Ever seen the iron oxide finish on hand wrenches?. Armstrong used to do it. Then there is a iron oxide finish exactly like the finish on Armstrong wrenches. You'll have to google it as I don't remember who was selling it. As best as I can remember its a two part process. clean the part down to bare metal, put in plastic tub add solution #1 let sit the required time. Stick it in another tub and add solution #2 let sit the required time.. I still go by very fine glass beads with reduced air pressure. Some smiths are artists with glass bead guns. Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12