WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: WTB Ponsness-Warren press

Banned

WTB Ponsness-Warren press

Looking for a Ponsness-Warren press. Will consider any gauge, but looking for 28 or 12.

Thanks Camo

Boolit Master
    I have one at home, but I won't be there until Wednesday. I think it's an 800, and I know it's set up for 12 ga.

If you're still looking then, I can get you pictures and more info.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Which one 800 900 375?? Have a couple 800s one in 12 a 20ga and a 800 Plus in 28 ga 375 in 10 and maybe a 12 ga die set for same

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen those in Local classifieds, 12g but I have no idea what # it was or what it's worth. I believe they were asking $400 for the last one.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Bub
    Be careful with a used 800. P-W no longer supports that model.

Boolit Bub
    PW still has plenty of parts for the 800B, 800C, and 800CVT. There are only a couple of parts they no longer carry.

Banned
    Is the 800 and the 800B the same animal? Or should I be looking for a 900. I know I want 12 gauge and possibly a 28 gauge.

Thanks Camo.

Boolit Bub
    Have had an 800 for 20+ years, and NEVER needed a part for it.

Boolit Buddy
    The 800B was the press that was the one not made in the inventors garage. Most parts for the 800B are available. And you will be surprised what can be rigged up if you know the machine. The 800s are much better machines than the 900s or the 950s. Especially stay away from the early 900s with the SS center post. The 800 Convertible or the 800 Plus is the way to go. I actually have an 800plus with 12 and 28 ga conversions I am going to sell. But the press is new and the 12 ga setup is lightly used(on another press) as I no longer shoot 12 ga. Heck I have a Spolar I have never loaded 12 ga shell with...20-28 and 410..oh yeah. I just gave a fellow an older 800B 12 ga.

Banned
    Well if you're giving things away, I'm your guy. I just pocked up 2 ... yea two oops 800B Now I'm looking for the 28 conversion for one of them. I just posted a trade thread.

Boolit Master
    Finally got a chance to uncover mine, and it's a 900. It needs 4 of the 8 shell holders/sizers replaced, due to the previous owner somehow denting them in at the top - don't have a clue how.
    The rest of the machine is in excellent condition, and has the red PW cover.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Post a pic of the tops of the sizing dies. Probably done by the crimp starter. 12 ga?? If not fixable I may have some 12 ga sizing dies. I sold and worked on P-Ws for a lot of years. BTW 800Bs aren't normally convertible although with a fair amount of work it can be done...or replacing the lower crosshead with a convertible type

Boolit Master
    It is a 12 ga.
    The damage seems to be progressive on these 4. I have never run the press, because the hull gets stuck in these dies.
    If you click on the picture, it gets larger.

Attachment 254456

Boolit Man
    OBSSD1958

Looks like you could maybe machine out the top inside of those shell holders and be good to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Use a 1 inch tapered grindstone in a battery operated drill at low speed inside. Also make certain the machine is timed correctly. Looks to be off a bit If you have a steel star crimp starter make certain the starter is not hitting the sizing die. Are all the sizing dies the same length?... I have seen machines with 2 different sizing die lengths(not factory). Usually done by someone who may have ordered the wrong parts. Those sizing dies are very hard and easily cracked from side forces. Ask he who knows. LOL! Wonder if that machine ever had a hydraulic unit on it?..the side wear on the tops of the dies indicate it may have.

Boolit Master
    skeet028 and DDRanch,
    Thanks for the help!
    All of the sizing dies are the same length - 2.060" . I'll try the tapered grindstone, just so I can verify all of the operations before I sell it.

camotruck,
    Due to the sizing die issues, it is for sale at a bit of a discount - if you're interested!

Don