Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any good Corn Bread Recipe's

Boolit Master

any good Corn Bread Recipe's

Working on making biscuits but would like a good from scratch Corn Bread recipe as JIFFY box mix is getting old. Want to make pinto bean soup and like corn bread and home made hot banana peppers with it. Can't do real spicy any more.

Vendor Sponsor

Jiffy is bad for you anyway, loaded with hydrogenated lard. Lard isn't bad but hydrogenated anything is.

This is my favorite, it is true Southern cornbread, no flour and no sugar. Use a No. 6 (9") cast iron skillet..

Ingredients

4 ounces hardwood smoked bacon, preferably Benton's
    2 cups cornmeal, I mix coarse and medium together
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/2 cups whole milk buttermilk
    1 large egg, lightly beaten

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450°F.

Put a 9-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to preheat for at least 10 minutes.

Run the bacon through a meat grinder or very finely mince it.

Put the bacon in a skillet large enough to hold it in one layer and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently so that it doesn’t burn, until the fat is rendered and the bits of bacon are crispy, 4 to 5 minutes.

Remove the bits of bacon to a paper towel to drain, reserving the fat. You need 5 tablespoons bacon fat for this recipe.

Combine the cornmeal, salt, baking soda, baking powder and bits of bacon in a medium bowl.

Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat and combine the remaining 4 tablespoons fat, the buttermilk and egg in a small bowl.

Move the skillet from the oven to the stove, placing it over high heat.

Add the reserved tablespoon of bacon fat and swirl to coat the skillet. It should be smoking hot.

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just to combine; do not overmix.

Pour in the batter, distributing it evenly. It should sizzle.

Bake the cornbread for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Using an oven mitt, remove skillet from oven, lay a 9" dinner plate inverted on top of cornbread, flip skillet holding plate securely with free hand releasing cornbread from skillet onto the plate, slide cornbread from plate back into skillet.

Serve warm from the skillet.

Attachment 254271

Here is the recipe online: https://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes...nbread-recipe/

Notes: If you can't get Allan Benton's Smoky Mountain bacon, just use some intensely smoked brand. Also can add green chiles, chopped fresh jalapeno (not real hot when they are fresh) pickled jalapeno slices (pretty hot) cracklins, etc.

I also prefer to use half butter and half bacon fat in the recipe instead of all bacon grease. It comes out lighter and tastes better to me.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-05-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Understand you are from north of the Ohio river where people put sugar in their cornbread, but doing so in West Virginia is illegal.

2 cups White Lilly, Martha White or Goya self rising cornmeal mix (not plain cornmeal)

1 teaspoon Tabasco or Chulula

1 extra large or 2 medium eggs

2 tablespoons bacon grease or lard for the batter, and another 2 tablespoons for the cast iron skillet

1 3/4 cups buttermilk or regular milk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
    Start with 1 cup of liquid if using regular milk and add the rest as necessary.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place 2 tablespoons of lard or bacon grease in the bottom of a 9" skillet and place over high heat on your stovetop while you make the batter.

Pour the cornmeal into a bowl and add the oil, egg, Tabasco and buttermilk.

Mix until combined and drop a grape-sized blob into your skillet. If it sizzles immediately, pour in batter to within 1 inch of the top. If you want a thinner cornbread, just don't pour in as much.

Transfer the skillet from the stove top to the hot oven.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden and set.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I found this cornbread recipe online years ago and it turns out so well that it has become my "go to" version. And yes, unfortunately it does contain a bit of sugar so I guess I'm a heathen ...

I think that part of the secret to baking good cornbread is baking it in cast iron. I use Lodge cornbread skillets that make 8 perfect pie shaped portions that are crisp all round and moist in the centre, but a regular cast iron skillet works well too.

THE ULTIMATE CORNBREAD RECIPE

Dry Ingredients:

- 1 Cup of All Purpose Unbleached White Flour

- 3/4 Cup of yellow cornmeal

- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder

- 1 Teaspoon of salt

- 4 Tablespoons of sugar

- about 1 generous cup of mixed, grated cheese(s) (your choice of type)

Wet Ingredients:

- 3/4 Cup of Buttermilk

- 1/4 Cup of Whole Milk

- 2 Eggs, beaten

- 1/3 Cup of melted Butter or Margarine (I usually substitute with regular cooking oil)

- I can of Creamed Style Corn (optional)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray two 9" aluminum pie pans (if that is all you have to work with) using Pam or with cooking oil if you have a pump sprayer like we do. Cast iron is always the BEST for cooking cornbread, and a cast iron skillet, or an actual segmented cast iron cornbread pan is the very best way to cook cornbread properly.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and blend them well. In a smaller bowl or measuring cup, thoroughly mix the buttermilk, whole milk, eggs, and oil or melted margarine. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour the batter into the two pie pans evenly and place in the preheated 375 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

When the cornbread is done, place on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes, then place a plate on the top and flip it over so that the cornbread is inverted on the plate. Cut into pie shaped wedges and spread with butter or margarine while it's still warm. It's great plain with Butter or Margarine, or topped with Apple Butter or any type of Jam. If any of it survives until the next morning, it's great for breakfast toasted until crispy under the oven broiler.

Important Tips:

- Have all of the ingredients at room temperature.

- Stone ground cornmeal works best and gives a golden coloured bread.

- If using melted margarine in the wet ingredients, don't use "no fat" versions as they contain too much water.

- Mix the batter until completely smooth. I don't care what your Grandmother said about lumpy batter being OK!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Reverend Al, that's some mighty good looking cornbread.

Boolit Master

1 C flour
    1 C cornmeal
    1/2 t baking soda
    1/2 t baking powder
    1 egg
    1/2 C bacon drippings (only to use up to 1 C)
    1 can or Rotel, including liquid
    Add more water or milk if too dry, creamed corn works great too
    Bacon drippings to grease your cast iron skillet or cornbread pan
    Heat skillet/pan until hot
    Pour batter into skillet and pop into oven
    400 deg F until brown on top
    Note: Baking soda needs something acidic to activitgte it. Buttermilk does it, so does the acid in tomatoes and chiles in Rotel).
    RO*TEL: "a signature blend of vine-ripened tomatoes and zesty green chilies and a savory mixture of secret spices"

Boolit Master
    Outpost my people came from Pennsylvania to Virginia before there was a West Virginia then to Kentucky fighting in the States Rights disagreement. My grandma and pa were married in a county no longer there. I never had sugar in corn bread till the wife started cooking for me.

Boolit Master
    I realize I am an uncouth heathen, but I like a bit of sugar in my cornbread. I've tried quite a few recipes and keep coming back to the one found on the Albers cornmeal box.

It's only been a few years since I found out it wasn't against the law to eat cornbread without butter and molasses on it, although I don't see how anyone can.

Boolit Grand Master

Butter and Molasses! No, honey!

It can be simple - simply take a common corn bread recipe and change the flour to finely ground corn flour (masa for the Mexicans).

Put your 9" cast iron pan in the oven when it is pre-heating with a tablespoon of butter, add the batter when the oven comes to heat. If you don't have diverticulitis like me add whole corn if you like it that way. Additions are your choice.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

To keep it simple the recipe on Martha White cornmeal mix is a pretty decent pone of bread. That Jiffy stuff aint cornbread, it's corn MUFFIN mix. That sure isn't what you want to put pinto beans over.

Boolit Grand Master

Doug, Outpost and Rev have it right. That’s some fine cornbread. Mexican cornbread with the additions, especially when fresh and out the garden with pintos is heaven in late summer.

BTW, in the south, pintos and cornbread is a staple. The pintos are to be served with a NONslotted spoon.

Moderator Emeritus

Going to see if I can get this thread and the biscuit thread pinned since these are the two most requested recipes! Make is easier for you guys to find them!

I agree with Rattlesnake Charlie. Makes you hungry to look at it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    Outpost my people came from Pennsylvania to Virginia before there was a West Virginia then to Kentucky fighting in the States Rights disagreement. My grandma and pa were married in a county no longer there. I never had sugar in corn bread till the wife started cooking for me.
    Your ancestors and mine may have met in battle. Mine were Scots-Irish indentures who came through Alexandria, VA deserting their Tory tidewater aristocrat overseers shortly after arrival, fighting the French and Indians and ending up in what is now Grant County near Moorefield prior to the Revolution. During the War Between the States the family had factions on both sides of the conflict. Ancestral farm was flooded out when the Mt. Storm dam was built, but wild oats sown over the years have borne cousins all over Grant, Mineral, Hampshire and Hardy Counties. We had our share of outlaws, moonshiners and career soldiers, of which my father was one.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Got from my Grandparents, but modified a bit.

1/2 cup flour
    1.5 cups stone ground cornmeal
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    2 tbsp sugar
    dash salt
    mix together

1 egg
    about 1 cup milk more or less (buttermilk if wanted). Add dry ingrediants. Mix. I just eyeball it till right consistency, about like waffle batter. I add a couple drops of vanilla also
    2 heaping tbsp bacon grease put in cast iron skillet. Heat skillet till hot but not smoking, swirl hot grease in pan to cover surface, then put hot grease in cornmeal batter and stir.
    Pour cornmeal batter in hot skillet (makes a crisp crust)
    Bake at 375 degrees, till top browned a bit on top. Turn skillet over on plate and let cornbread fall out of pan onto skillet. I eat mine with Strawberry jam

Boolit Buddy
    I will say that I use the Jiffy mixes but I do this 1 simple trick; I add about a TBS of oil (just dump some in) and an extra egg. Takes quite a bit longer to bake but it doesn't disintegrate.

That said for true corn bread aficionados Jiffy is sweet to me so it's more like "cake" vs corn bread. So I have been told by a person I knew from Arkansas. I much more lean towards that side of the dichotomy, what recipes do you guys do that are closer to cake?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by drac0nic View Post
    I will say that I use the Jiffy mixes but I do this 1 simple trick; I add about a TBS of oil (just dump some in) and an extra egg. Takes quite a bit longer to bake but it doesn't disintegrate.

That said for true corn bread aficionados Jiffy is sweet to me so it's more like "cake" vs corn bread. So I have been told by a person I knew from Arkansas. I much more lean towards that side of the dichotomy, what recipes do you guys do that are closer to cake?
    The cake style corn bread has more flour than cornmeal, such as Reverend Al's. What I call crumbly corn bread is more like Rockrat's. My family recipe is much like Rockrat's. That's what I was raised on and still make in a #8 cast iron skillet. My folks (Dad's side) were Scotch/Irish by way of Virginia and then down to Alabama, then to Texas in 1850. Most poor southerners didn't have a lot of flour, so they ended up using more cornmeal than flour. Also, our recipe has no sugar in it.
    1-1/2 cup cornmeal
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2-3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 egg
    1 cup of milk
    1/4 cup oil/shortening/lard, whichever is your preference
    Put oil in skillet, place in oven to heat to 450. Mix dry ingredients thoroughly, mix egg and milk, combine 2 mixtures, (I use a fork to mix the 2). Pour into hot skillet and bake until top is golden with hints of brown, about 15-20 minutes. Serve with anything you want to. I usually have 2 wedges with my meal, one with the meal and one as dessert, pouring honey, cane syrup or pancake syrup over it.
    Last edited by gbrown; 01-06-2020 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Correction
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

My cornbread recipe is generic, often baked over homemade chile in a 9" square pan. My favorite way was with an electric bagel maker, it clam shelled like a waffle iron. Since it was cooked on all sides it was all crunchy. Ex-wife kept the Bagel maker and I miss it, the ex, not so much.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

Fiesta Cornbread
    Good for breakfast , lunch or supper ... with chili or beans or all by it'self .

1/2 cup flour
    1 1/2 cups white or yellow corn meal
    1 cup milk
    1 egg
    1/4 cup bacon grease or lard
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup canned cream style corn
    1 cup whole kernel corn
    1 Jalapeno pepper , minced
    1/2 cup onion , minced
    1/2 cup green bell pepper , minced
    1/2 pound grated cheddar or Longhorn cheese

Mix up everything , except the cheese in a batter .
    Pour 1/2 the batter into a greased 9" square pan .
    Top with 1/2 the cheese.
    Pour in remaining batter and top with remaining cheese .
    Bake at 400 degrees F 45 minutes .
    Eat warm with butter ... yes , it's good all by itself .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Any of you ever put maple syrup on cornbread?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast