Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Storage Bins you use for boolits?

Boolit Master

I use rectangular plastic bins.I get them from dollar tree. They sit nice next to ea other. I label them what weight and diameter boolets are in them.
    https://www.dollartree.com/essential...anizers/219325
    https://www.dollartree.com/essential...3frac12/219336
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Bub
    I use powerade bottles, they have a screw on lid and if you drop them they don't break or the lid doesn't pop off. They are a pretty heavy plastic I take the label off so I can see what bullet type I have in them.

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Attachment 254281

I mark between the handhold what is in it. Acetone takes the markings off for new label if needed. Works for me.

Slim
    I do the same thing! You can stack them 6 high if you got the room no trouble at all.
    Got to buy coffee anyway!!
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Master

I use cat food containers. They have a wide screw on lid and are made with an indentation where they can be grabbed. They are clear so you can see what is in them.

Boolit Master
    It seems I'm different from most who have lots of different stored boolits. My stock is usually several thousand of the same boolit, of which I can shoot thousands in a month. So bulk storage containers separating lots of the same slug by production date best suit my needs.

I've used 30 and 50 cal ammo cans, two gallon plastic buckets, and Acme Bullet shipping crates, all with pluses and minuses.

The buckets are filled 2/3rds full and nested; they'd be air tight with lids, but I don't think they're strong enough to stack that way. The round shape is a bit space inefficient. Having handles is convenient.

The ammo cans have the advantage of having air/water tight seals and handles for carrying, but are only fair for stacking, and lifting even one full fifty would likely throw out my back.

The crates are space efficient, hold a lot and are stackable, but are not air tight. They have hand hold cut outs on the ends that limit loose boolit storage capacity or have to be covered.

I mostly use the buckets and crates these days. HiTek coated, there's no need for sealed containers. Oh, and all the boolits are stored on the floor.
    Last edited by kevin c; 01-06-2020 at 05:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use empty plastic coffee cans, as well as clear smaller sized storage tubs for brass. I pack the brass in ziplock bags, usually one hundred per bag, and then put in the containers. Brass to be processed goes into coffee cans loose. For cast bullets I use any small boxes on hand, mostly cigar boxes and others that small items came in. Once sized and lubed they go into boxes I make using USPS flat rate boxes cut down to allow 100 bullets per layer and as deep as it takes to hold anywhere from 200 (rifle)to 500 (45 SWC) bullets. I also make lids for each box so they do not collect dust.

I use 50 cal. ammo cans because I have them. Only problem with that is they get heavy when loaded with boolits for this older guy. They stack really good and all are labeled for ease of finding the proper can when needed.

Boolit Buddy
    1-Metal baby formula cans with the plastic lids.
    2-Plastic cake frosting cans.
    3- any other food container as listed before but ad the potato salad containers to the margarine, cool whip and coffee.
    4- #10 steel food cans, or cleaned out paint cans.
    Shaune509

These are my preferred container for cast boolits. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermai...Chili/16664719
    I fill them 3/4 full and stack them up to four high. Pretty strong. Haven't had any break in several years.
    I don't normally use the lids with them, but it is an option. The lids tend to break more easily than the container itself.

I save my ammo cans for loaded ammo.

Boolit Master

At one time I had free access to cabinet grade 1/2" plywood scraps so ended up building box's about 9x6x3.5". Hold around 500 of my 45 bullets, or empty cases, or loads. Whatever. Stack solidly and the top ones get a blank piece for a dust cover. And it gave me something to a few times. Labels I scrounged at work years ago. Shelves are 2x6 so they'll take a lot of weight. Total cost was the small screws and wire nails, so wasn't much.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

I use containers exactly like you posted (OP)...but mine are already full of nuts. I get them at Costco and BJs. Once I empty the nuts...they go straight to the loading bench to store boolits, bullets, and brass.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

+1 on what Taz said...Rubbermaid food storage containers. Write boolit info on end of container with a Sharpie and stack three high (because of shelf spacing) in workshop storage cabinet.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned
    I like Chock full O' Nuts coffee AND it comes in a metal can. Unfortunately that can is round. Despite the storage drawbacks of the round can, I still use a lot of those for bullets, brass, and hardware. I drink a lot of coffee, so there's no shortage on old cans. You can write on the lid with a black Sharpie and instantly remove the ink with alcohol if needed.

Loaded handgun cartridges go into metal 30 & 50 cal ammo cans. I gave up on the cardboard and plastic 50-100 round boxes years ago.
    Rifle ammo still goes into recycled boxes that factory cartridges come in. Shotgun shells generally go into recycled factory boxes but mostly to make counting 25 shells easier. However as those boxes wear out the loaded shells end up loose in ammo cans just like the handgun ammo.
    Those black on white stick on number decals (like the ones you see on mailboxes) make great labels for the ammo cans to distinguish caliber. They are easy to read from a distance. The details about the load (powder, bullet style/weight, etc) are then added to the outside of the can with a silver Sharpie. If you need to change the description; a paper towel, some alcohol and the ink comes right off. 5 seconds with another Sharpie and you're good to go again. In the words of the liberal tree huggers - it's sustainable

I have a habit of building wooden boxes for tools, accessories and other items. Someday I will probably get around to simply building wooden boxes for brass and bullets. When that happens, I'll standardize on some design that stores/stacks well. Until then, it looks like I have an inexhaustible supply of coffee cans

i have found out that the "super stacker" brand 3x3x5" index card boxes stack conviniently and firmly and hold just over 400 230gr 45acp boolits 600 125gr 9mm boolits or just the right amount to fill the DILLON boolit tray or the same amount of 9mm brass to fill the xl650 size dillon akro bin.
    they are $2.27 each at my local wal-mart in the office supply section.
    my wal-mart typically has clear or transparent blue with clear lids.
    black china markers "grease penciles" write on them easily and wipe off with a t-shirt rag.

Banned
    I use 2# planters peanut square plastic screw-top containers for storing boolits and immediate use brass,
    I use larger plastic bins for long term/bulk storage
    Last edited by Conditor22; 01-08-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Boolit Master

I use metal coffee cans and glass Prego spaghetti sauce jars.

Boolit Master
    For storage of ready to load bullets, I use the MTM storage boxes. They're the see thru light green ones.

When I'm PCing, installing GC's, and sizing, I have a supply of Cool Whip containers that I use going form stage to stage.

Boolit Grand Master

Drink containers are the best. It seems most people drink coffee. Everyone knows coffee cans work great. Tea tins work great. I can't stand coffee, instead I drink Ovaltine. Their containers are even better than coffee cans.

Boolit Mold
    +1 for the $3 ammo cans from Harbor Freight. They stack well, write on/write off easily and don't get too heavy!

I was using Folgers cans but had problems stacking unsupported and the creamer cans stack well but when they go over the lids crack and they become useless.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast