MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun auctions...

Boolit Master

Gun auctions...

Hi...
    I go to a lot of gun auctions here in South Central Pennsylvania and have lately noticed an aggravating trend.
    At yesterday's auction, I noticed quite a few items that were hid up beyond current retail prices for the same product.
    I really don't understand that mindset...I go to auctions to try to get good deals on things.
    I am not talking about firearms though...I know that prices on firearms at auction fluctuate depending on a lot of factors including if dealers are buying for their shops and the caliber of the firearm and whether or not custom firearms are being auctioned. I understand all of that.

What I don't understand is bidding more for things like new brass than suppliers like Starline charge. Or bidding more for gunpowder than local gun shops charge...the same with reloading bullets and primers.

Tools are getting to be the same...yesterday I saw a very well used Lyman 1200 tumbler with auto flo go for $55. Retail for brand new is $90. I run three tumblers every week, usually three hours at a time on a couple of separate days. I think my tumblers are used a lot.
    The Lyman that was auctioned for $55 looked like it had been ran a lot more and it looked worn and a bit beat up.
    I also saw a very dirty badly cared for RockChucker go for about $80. I know RockChucker presses are strong durable and dependable machines...my son and I both run separate RockChuckers every week. I load hundreds of rounds of big bore revolver cartridges on mine every week and he loads quite a few rifle cartridges on his every week. Both are well taken care of and look brand new. I would never pay $80 for a beat up unmaintained dirty RockChucker.

I saw half full boxes of commercial cast lead bullets go for only a few dollars less than the retail cost of a full box of 500 bullets.

The only real good buy I recall was a new in box Hornady electronic powder dispenser that went for about half of retail on most websites.

I really didn't buy much...I bought a couple of pretty nice hard gun cases. One had a Dan Wesson barrel wrench in it, so I got a little bonus there. Other than that I bought some used Nickle brass in .38Spl and .357Mag...probably 5-600 pieces of brass. I need to separate, inspect and tumble it. Only cost $10 so not a big investment.

Whole morning of entertainment at the auction for a cost of about $135. I didn't stay for the firearms portion of the auction.

Not really complaining...just making an observation. I suppose the bidding reflects some people's need to win no matter the cost.
    I go to auctions to get bargains...I research retail prices for items I want and then set limits on what I will bid depending on the condition of the item. If the bidding goes higher than my limit, I just drop out.

Boolit Grand Master

Sometimes I think people get caught up in the competition of bidding against each other. I've seen worn out or broken ladders go for more than new ones. The same thing with guns, reloading tools and ammo. A good Auctioneer can get your blood flowing!

Boolit Master

lots of people think they need to get in the game before its to late and those same people think auctions are the cheapest place to get supplies, once these people start bidding against each other the sky is the limit. never happens when I need to sell something though.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I think you are correct about people needing to win. I know a guy that accidently bought a deuce and a half at auction. He was trying to show his girlfriend how an auction works. Someone should have shown him first.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy

Have seen the same thing at non gun auctions. Have seen used 4 ft fluorescent light fixtures sell for more than new. The last local firearms auction I participated in was on line and picked up about 8500 federal 22 lr for less than .0027 ea. Have known the auctioneer for years, he said it is hard to get people to attend live gun auctions here anymore. Another friend had gone to an estate auction with several guns and he picked up a M1 Garand with one full spam can of ammo and partical can for $800 dollars, so at auctions you never know what will happen with the bidders. Saw a couple of well heeled bidders at a cattle auction in a bidding war, bull sold for over $30,000 dollars, maybe some people just need to stoke their egos.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Have seen the same thing at non gun auctions. Have seen used 4 ft fluorescent light fixtures sell for more than new. The last local firearms auction I participated in was on line and picked up about 8500 federal 22 lr for less than .0027 ea. Have known the auctioneer for years, he said it is hard to get people to attend live gun auctions here anymore. Another friend had gone to an estate auction with several guns and he picked up a M1 Garand with one full spam can of ammo and partical can for $800 dollars, so at auctions you never know what will happen with the bidders. Saw a couple of well heeled bidders at a cattle auction in a bidding war, bull sold for over $30,000 dollars, maybe some people just need to stoke their egos.
    Interesting...
    The local gun auctions here are well attended...large auction halls and typically there aren't enough seats for all the attendees and there are almost always people manning the phones for online bidders.
    The biggest obstacle to getting good deals on guns at auction are the dealers who are trying to get guns for their shops particularly the out of state dealers.
    One type of firearm that generally doesn't draw a lot of interest is custom rifles for some reason

Boolit Grand Master
    And then you get Shills who bid on an item to run up the price. Or auctioneer takes a "phantom bid". I have run into both. Not too often though or around here.
    People do get caught up in auction fever and bid more than they can run down to the store and buy a new item.

Boolit Master
    Supermag how do you keep your Roclchucker clean? Mine went on my bench more than 40 years ago and has not been off since. It is pretty dirty with more than 40 years or dirt ad burnt power residue on it . Still works great just dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Sometimes I think people get caught up in the competition of bidding against each other.
    That's it, and why the auction 'format' is used.
    As a way to sell something, it moves so fast some folks some folks get caught up in the frenzy and don't think about what they're doing.
    That's what a good, commissioned, professional auctioneer is counting on and works toward.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    As a way to sell something, it moves so fast some folks some folks get caught up in the frenzy and don't think about what they're doing.
    That's what a good, commissioned, professional auctioneer is counting on and works toward.
    Why I steer clear of auctions, set a fair price and if I want it I will buy it, otherwise, take a flying whatever you want to call it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Yeah, sounds like an average auction to me.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Supermag how do you keep your Roclchucker clean? Mine went on my bench more than 40 years ago and has not been off since. It is pretty dirty with more than 40 years or dirt ad burnt power residue on it . Still works great just dirty.
    Hi...
    Actually, there is not much to it.
    After every use, I wipe the entire press down. Clean up every bit of primer residue and wipe down the ram and then lightly oil it.
    I always wipe down my dies after use and clean them with Gun Scrubber when required.

I really don't like dirt on my tools. I very rarely even use a hammer or screwdriver without wiping it down. One of the few good habits I have acquired over the decades.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    And then you get Shills who bid on an item to run up the price. Or auctioneer takes a "phantom bid". I have run into both. Not too often though or around here.
    People do get caught up in auction fever and bid more than they can run down to the store and buy a new item.
    A couple years ago I went to one auction where the same guy won about 2/3rds of the items. It became obvious very quickly every time something was going for less than the auction company wanted this guy won. I wasn’t too surprised to see all the same guns going up for auction on their next flyer.

Last auction I attended in person Colt 6920’s we’re going for $200 more than the LGS had them priced at. Every auction is unique but when you get a couple we’ll heeled collectors or retail stores looking for inventory you can guarantee there won’t be any great deals.

And if the auction is on-line it is called e-bay, and people overpay there also.

Boolit Master

And Gunbroker... My local gun shop has the new Hellcat pistol for $499. GB prices range from $520 to $700. And the sad thing is that some goober is going to pay $700 for a $500 gun.

Saw one of the new Colt Pythons bid up to $2800. They have a $1500 MSRP. Stupid people are all around us and make things more difficult for the rest of us.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Two cousins here were bidding on an Iver Johnson s/s 410 that was uncle Georges. They went up to $450.00 and are still bitter enemies. It's worth what you think it's worth.

Banned
    That is why I don't go to auctions and try to stay off Gunbroker.

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    I go to auctions to try to get good deals on things. If the bidding goes higher than my limit, I just drop out.
    BINGO! What other people do is not my concern either. I don't get it either but if it isn't a good deal then I won't buy.
    It DOES get frustrating when prices go over retail on most items and I wasted a whole morning (or day) bidding.
    But hey.....it IS entertaining.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Never overlook stupid.

Yes, I think it happens for all the above reasons . If you look at it from the seller side it is a good thing. I prefer online auctions where I decide what I want, what I’m willing to bid and forget it until it’s over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast